Chapter 17

The Chaser

So sorry for the wait guys. I have no excuses. But I promise to do everything in my power to update regularly. 


 

            I entered the apartment silently hoping Hoon and Unnie already fell asleep.

            "Eunji! I am so sorry!" Unnie wailed as she greeted me with a hug.

            "It was my fault, unnie," I said, trying to calm her down.

            All that stress can't be good for the baby.

            "No! It was my fault. I over-reacted. I am so sorry," she cried.

            I looked to Hoon and mouthed, "What the hell?”

            He just shrugged at me.

            Gee. Thanks. Here I am trying to calm down your pregnant wife, and you can't even tell me what's happening?

            I pulled away from unnie and looked at her, "Did someone die?"

            I was seriously worried. Why would she act this way just because I came home late?

            "What? No! I was just really worried about you. And I’m sorry for picking a fight earlier. Pregnancy hormones are a ," she explained.

            My eyes widened.

            Unnie cursed.

            I looked to Hoon.

            "Trust me when I say that was one of the weaker curses today," Hoon said, putting his hands on Unnie's shoulders.

            "I think I need to sit down," Unnie said quietly.

            Hoon immediately guided Unnie to the sofa she just abandoned.

            "Eunji-ah. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to shout at you," Unnie almost sobbed.

            Okaaay. Well this isn't weird. I'm 90% sure that the fight yesterday was my fault.

            "Unnie, just calm down, okay?" I asked her.

            "No, it was really selfish of me to get mad at you when you did nothing wrong," she said between sobs.

            Well... If you put it that way...

            "I was just really worried about you..." she continued.

            Worried?

            "Since we took racing away from you, you've done nothing but study..."

            "That was part of the deal, and..." I tried to reassure that it was okay, but she cut me off.

            "Eunji, it's been almost been a year since we made you give up racing, and I've seen you do nothing but study. Not once have I seen you do something a normal college student would do."

            Maybe I should remind her that college students are supposed to be studying.

            "And even though you'd help me with my job, it doesn't even seem like you're there-it's like you're on autopilot. You constantly have a textbook in front of you and it's like that's all you see.

            "Did you even notice the idols I tried to set you up with?" She ranted.

            I felt my eyes widen. She tried to set me up with someone?

            "And sometimes I didn't even have to set you up. They'd approach you on their own, but it's like you never see them.

            "At first I thought it was because you were dating Himchan. And I would've been okay with that even if I didn't like him because, at least, you were doing something normal.

            "But then I realize that even if you were dating Himchan, you would've at least appreciated the eye candy I sent your way. God knows I would have."

            ...Well, that's not a surprise. They still think Himchan's a bad influence.

            "Hey, now..." Hoon finally spoke up.

            Unnie just shrugged, "What? I said 'would have'."

            "And then this guy shows up," unnie said, pointing behind me.

            . I forgot Sunggyu was still here. A shiver of embarrassment passed through me. He heard all of that.

            "And he wouldn't take your ‘no’ for an answer. And I thought, 'this is the guy. This is the guy that would help Eunji come back to the land of the living-not just existing.'

            "So, whenever I could, I helped him out. And when he asked me if he could take you out, I got so excited for you. And I admit, maybe a little too excited."

            "Listen, I'm not telling you to sleep with him--"

            That's when three people choked on air.

            Unnie suddenly straightened her back, "What? Too blunt?"

            "Kinda," the three of us answered back.

            "Okay, let me rephrase that. I'm not saying Sunggyu's the guy, but what I'm saying is let it play out. Don’t isolate yourself. When the guy- your guy does come, I don't want you to miss the chance."

            Just then I see the muted television behind her. 

            Headline: Depressed college student commits suicide.

            I feel my eyes go soft, "Unnie, I'm okay. I promise and even if I'm not I've got ways of letting off steam--other than racing. So please, don't worry about me too much. You're already worrying for 3 people now, I don't want to add to the mix. And plus, it's kinda suffocating, I thought living away from my parents should have some perks."

            She smiles at my joke, "I won't stop worrying about you, but maybe I can dial it down a little bit. But promise me you'll talk to me if you need to."

            I nod.

            I look at Hoon and Unnie and I feel grateful. Grateful for the people who worry about me, who can't sleep without knowing I'm safe, who love me.

            Sunggyu catches my eye and I think back to what unnie told me. Don't miss the chance.

            "Okay, now that we've got the family drama of the century all tidied up, I'll walk Sunggyu back to his car," I say as I stand up.

            Hoon clears his throat, "Sorry you got mixed into this misunderstanding."

            Damn, Hoon can be mature if he wants to.

            Sunggyu smiles, a real smile, "No worries, I'm just glad I got her home safely. Thank you for trusting me to get her."

            Okaaay. Something weird is happening. It's like they're negotiating.

            Unnie gets up and hugs Sunggyu; and apparently whispers something to him because his lips quirk up to smile.

            They say their goodbyes and I walk back to the lift with Sunggyu.

            "What did unnie say to you?" I say with a quirked eyebrow.

            Yup, the curiosity just makes me more blunt than usual; or maybe it's the fact that it's 3 in the morning.

            He evades eye contact but I see his lips smile.

            "What?" I ask again.

            "She just thanked me for bringing you home tonight," he lies.

            I roll my eyes, "I call bull."

            He looks me in the eye, "Well that was half of it."

            "And the other half?" I prod.

            He pushes off the opposite wall of the lift and stands closer to me, "She told me to ask you out again. Properly."

            "Eunji, would you like to go out with me this weekend?"

            I smirk at his confidence, "Sure, I've got nothing better to do anyway."

            The lift reaches the basement parking and opens up. 

            Sunggyu gives me one last smile before heading out.

            I couldn't help but smile at his cockiness. 

            It's kinda growing on me.

            He turns around to check if I'm still there. He sees me and runs back to the lift.

            Confused, I quirk an eyebrow at him.

            He gives me a light peck, "Sweet dreams, Eunji."

            He walks back to his car, and the lift's door closes.

            I feel my knees buckle for the first time in my life.