Chapter 25

The Chaser

            Around midnight I get a text.

            It's from an unknown number, but I understand what it means.

From: unknown caller
5th Street, Gangnam-do parking building.

            And I just have this gut feeling that Himchan's going to be there.

            I stare at my phone for a couple more minutes until I'm sure I've made up my mind.

            I put my university sweatshirt over my tank and grab my car keys.

            As I open my bedroom door I contemplate changing out of my basketball shorts.

            No time for that. Hoon or Unnie might catch me sneaking out as it is.

            I just about turn the corner that leads to the kitchen and main door of the apartment when I realize someone was in the kitchen.

            I quickly drop my keys into my pocket and put a sleepy smile on my face.

            "Unnie~ what are you doing up?" I ask as I head to the refrigerator for water.

            "It's nothing... the baby's just been kicking a lot. I think he's excited to come out and play with his Aunt Eunji," she says as she rubs her protruding stomach.

            "Hoon told me about that. Don't you need to visit the doctor? You're supposed to be resting as much as possible," I say, before drinking a glass of water.

            "We're going tomorrow, but I'm sure this is normal. My mom used to say that I kept her up at night too," Unnie laughs.

            I just nod.

            "Eunji," Unni says seriously.

            And for a moment I think I'm busted for trying to sneak out, but when I look at her she's pointing to the ramen pack beside me.

            "Yah, no. Hoon's gonna get mad at me for giving you that stuff," I whine.

            She rubs her hands in front of her, pleading with me, "Please? I haven't had it since I got pregnant. And I won't tell Hoon."

            I sigh as I glance at the clock.

            12:30.

            I won’t be able to catch him before they start the race anymore.

            I'll try talking to him tomorrow.

            "Fine, but if Hoon catches us I'm gonna say you forced me to do it," I say as I take out a pot for the ramen.

            I wash up after Unnie heads to bed, all the while weighing what kind of situation I put Himchan, Sunggyu and me in.

            I heard Himchan say he was okay with any decision I made, but the way he's acting says the opposite. If I take his words at face value does that make me a bad friend?

            I get another text from an unknown caller confirming Himchan's location.

            My best friend was racing tonight, he won too.

            So he had time for a race, but he stood me up this morning?

            Breathe, Eunji. Breathe.

            This might not entirely be his fault... Maybe I made it seem like it should be difficult for him to approach me.

            Maybe...

            Damn it, I am in' tired of this dance.

            I'm over here walking on eggshells like he might break at any wrong move and he's somewhere racing like nothing happened.

            Maybe I read his reactions incorrectly.

            Maybe I should stop acting like I did something wrong, because I did nothing wrong.

            I erase the unknown caller's text that contained Himchan's plate number and the earlier text about the parking building.

            I head back to my room and lie on my bed, staring at the photos that documented my childhood with Himchan.

            I feel myself sigh. It used to be just me and him. Even when we dated other people, we still confided in each other. Why did it have to change this time?

            My phone rings and I immediately pick it up, so that the ringtone doesn't go off.

            "Hey," I hear Gyu's voice on the other line.

            "What's up?" I ask in a hushed tone.

            "I didn't think you'd actually pick up," he laughs.

            I look at the clock: 1:17 am.

            I shrug, even though I know he can't see me.

            "So are we on tonight?" He asks.

            "Yup, am I expected to bring food for the others as well?" I ask, stifling a yawn.

            "Well, if you're looking to earn brownie points from them, sure..." His voice dies out at the end.

            "You don't want me to bring food for them, do you? You want them to get jealous, don't you?" I say, containing my laughter at his child-like thinking.

            He doesn't say anything for a while until he whispers, "Busted."

            My eyes are closing on their own volition and I'm nearly at the edge of sleep, but I can still hear him talking.

            "Eunji-ah, thanks for putting up with me," he says softly.

            "It's only been a couple of weeks. I'll tell you if you're screwing it up," I mumble.

            I hear him laugh, "Sounds like you're about to fall asleep."

            "I'm awake," I say stubbornly, but sluggishly.

            "Arasso, arasso," I hear him say with a smile.