“Are we still on for tonight?”

Home
Sick.
 
Junhong sighed softly as he stared down at the grade on his test. It was only a C+ but he had given it his best. He felt disappointment wash over him as he shoved the test into his bag and he wondered why he was even surprised.
 
“Hey?”
 
Junhong looked up hearing Jongup's voice. He smiled weakly at his friend. “Hey.” He stood up from his desk and grabbed his book bag. The two left the classroom and started down the long hallway, ignoring everyone else around them. Jongup threw his arm around the younger teen's shoulder when he noticed one of Junhong's meanest bullies staring at them. He sent the teen a death glare and Junhong followed his eyes.
 
“He's such jerk.” Jongup said as they turned and started down the stairs.
 
“He's only mean to you because you're friends with me, though.” Junhong sighed loudly.
 
The older teen shrugged and smiled. “I'd say it's worth it.”
 
Junhong held back a smile and playfully pushed his friend away and hurried down the stairs, Jongup following close behind. They chased each other until they were outside the school and things became quiet between the two again until Jongup finally spoke. “I'll see you tom-”
 
“Do you want to hang out for a little bit?” He felt awkward asking. He'd never asked anyone to hang out with him before and it was embarrassing. Junhong wanted to show Jongup the hotel and part of him knew the reason he wanted the older to come with him to the hotel was because he knew it would distract Yongguk from asking him about his grades.
 
He didn't want to talk about his bad grade with the older man. He felt too embarrassed and ashamed especially after all the time Yongguk had put into helping him with school. He just felt like a failure and he didn't want Yongguk to think that of him.
 
“Sure.” Jongup's face lit up and he smiled brightly at the younger.
 
“I actually work at this really cool hotel in Gangnam. . .” He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck when Jongup looked at him in surprise. “I know the owner of the hotel and. . . yeah.”
 
“That's so cool.” Jongup laughed and they started walking. “How did you meet the owner of it?”
 
“It's a weird story.” The younger teen smiled at him. He really didn't know how to explain it at all. He thought back to when Yongguk first started sitting in the swing next to him and he held back a smile. Neither of them would even speak to each other but Junhong never found him threatening. To Junhong, Yongguk had simply appeared in his life. “But yeah, the hotel is really big.” They walked down the steps that lead underground to the metro. “Sometimes celebrities stay there.”
 
“No way.” Jongup threw his arm around Junhong again. “How could you keep this a secret from me?” He mocked pouted and the younger shrugged.
 
They waited for a few minutes before their train pulled up and they walked on, neither saying a thing. Junhong tightly gripped the hem of his school shirt, sighing softly. He glanced at his friend, wondering what the older man would think. Honestly, it felt really awkward bringing Jongup to the hotel but he knew he would at least be able to distract Yongguk for a little while.
 
He held back another sigh when he thought about the grade. He really just wanted to quit school but he didn't want to break his promise with Yongguk and most of all – he didn't want to disappoint the older man. But, wouldn't Yongguk feel disappointed anyway? It wasn't like he was getting good grades and he had honestly tried. He looked down at his hands and gently bit his chapped lower lip.
 
The train ride and most of the walk to the hotel was silent until Junhong pointed out the tall building and Jongup's mouth fell open. “You're kidding.” The older teen playfully pushed him.
 
Junhong's lips twitched upwards and he shook his head. “No, seriously, I work here.”
 
“And you're friends with the owner?” Jongup asked, staring forward as they walked towards the hotel. He glanced over and the younger nodded his head. “Wow.”
 
Things got quiet again as the two silently walked up the steps and into the hotel. Junhong felt his heart beat speed up when he saw the older man at the desk checking in someone. It was almost as if Yongguk could feel him looking at him because he immediately looked in Junhong's direction and smiled at him before turning back to the costumer. Junhong forced himself not to smile as he walked closer once the costumer left and headed towards the elevators.
 
“Hello.” Yongguk greeted and a smile appeared on his face.
 
Junhong glanced at Jongup, realizing the man hadn't even noticed the older teen standing next to him. The older man followed his eyes and furrowed his brows before looking back at Junhong in question. “This is Jongup. . .” He said awkwardly. “My friend from school.”
 
The man stared at Jongup with an unreadable expression for a moment before introducing himself. It felt really awkward, really tense all of a sudden and Junhong really didn't know what to say. He shifted from foot to foot before opening his mouth to speak. “I need to change. . .” He said quietly. “Is my uniform back from the cleaners?”
 
The older man looked back at him and nodded his head. “Your uniform is in my room. Do you still have the key?” The younger boy nodded his head and Yongguk glanced back at Jongup. “Go eat and then get changed. I'll join you two in a few minutes; I have some work to finish up first.”
 
Junhong started towards the restaurant with his friend following close by. He didn't like how tense everything felt and he wondered if he was the only one feeling it. “He's kind of scary.” Jongup said once they entered the restaurant.
 
The younger awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, unsure of what to say to that. Even he had to admit, Yongguk was acting a little bit scary but then he thought maybe that wasn't the right word. He spotted Daehyun at one side of the restaurant, chatting away with a couple.
 
Junhong sat down at the bar, his friend sitting down beside him. Daehyun walked behind the bar and looked at the younger in interest before greeting them both with a smile. “Who's your friend?” He handed them both menus.
 
“This is Jongup.” He said quietly. “He's my friend from school.”
 
The older nodded his head slowly before introducing himself to Jongup. Junhong pretended to be focused on the menu when Yongguk came into the restaurant and sat down next to him. He felt awkward, incredibly awkward and he wasn't even sure why. He could feel Yongguk's eyes on him as he tried to focus on the menu, making it hard for him to breathe properly.
 
“So, Junhong-” The younger looked up and met eyes with Daehyun. “You and Jongup must be close, right?” Junhong tensed up, feeling everyone’s eyes on him but before he could say anything Yongguk cut them both off by clearing his throat.
 
“I'm ready to order.” Yongguk's voice was deeper than normal and the boy felt a shiver run down his spine. Daehyun looked almost amused as he took their orders and went back to the kitchen.
 
It was quiet for a long time until the older man sighed. “Why don't you take the night off and show Jongup around?” He suddenly sounded so exhausted and almost defeated.
 
“No, it's okay.” Jongup quickly shook his head. “It's getting late so after I eat, I should probably go home.”
 
Junhong felt bad for feeling relieved his friend would be leaving soon. It was just too tense, too awkward and he didn't like it; he would rather have talked about his grade instead of this. He watched Yongguk from the corner of his eyes. It looked like he was lost in his own thoughts and Junhong found himself wondering what he was thinking about.
 
The food didn't take too long to come and Yongguk was the first to finish. He stood up, telling the two he was going out for a smoke and the two watched as he left the quiet restaurant. “I don't think he likes me.” Jongup admitted once he was out of sight.
 
“What?” The younger teen quickly shook his head. “He's just really tired. . .” Junhong wondered if the anniversary of his wife's death had anything to do with this or not but it just didn't make sense. Yongguk was never mean or cold. So, why was he being so cold towards Jongup?
 
Junhong decided no matter how hard he thought about it, he would never figure out the answer and that he would just push the thoughts away once his friend got up to go to the restroom. “Where did Yongguk and your friend go?” Daehyun asked as he stepped behind the bar, carrying a tray.
 
“Yongguk went out for a smoke and Jongup went to the bathroom.” He replied quietly.
 
The man nodded his head and walked over. “Yongguk seemed a little jealous, didn't he?” Daehyun grabbed his cup and turned around to refill it. Junhong's eyes widened ever so slightly and his face reddened a little. Jealous? It made sense but the thought seemed so strange. Why would Bang Yongguk feel jealous? But before he could question the older, Jongup came back.
 
“Do I have to pay or-”
 
“Nope, it's on the house.” Daehyun smiled at him. “Anything you two need?”
 
They both shook their heads, thanking the man before getting up and leaving the restaurant. Junhong looked at the front desk but Yongguk still wasn't there; instead another employee was checking guests in. He frowned deeply realizing the man was still outside. He never took breaks this long.
 
Daehyun's words replayed in his mind but he just couldn't get himself to believe them. Yongguk just wasn't feeling well and that was it. He wasn't jealous. Why would he be? Junhong felt the butterflies go crazy inside his stomach and he wondered if maybe Yongguk had feelings for him too. The thought took his breath away but he quickly told himself it wasn't possible.
 
- - - - - - - - -
 
Jongup hadn't stayed much longer but right before he left, Yongguk had suddenly changed. He wasn't so cold anymore, smiling and telling Jongup he was welcome to come to the hotel any time he wanted. Junhong buttoned up his work shirt, sighing softly. Yongguk wasn't jealous. He was certain the man was still dealing with the loss of his wife. He didn't know whether to feel disappointed or relieved the older didn't hate Jongup.
 
After all, Jongup was his only friend and he wanted Yongguk to like him. But, still, Daehyun's words had given him hope of something he knew just wasn't possible. He had hoped maybe, just maybe it meant the man had feelings for him too. Junhong held back a sigh, remembering how Yongguk had called him a brother. It hurt a lot but it was better than nothing, wasn't it?
 
He finished getting ready and felt surprised when he saw Yongguk sitting on the sofa in the living room. The man looked in his direction and Junhong looked towards the ground. He had a feeling Yongguk wanted to talk about the test. The older told him to sit down beside him and Junhong quietly complied. “How did your test go?” Junhong inwardly cringed and he stared down at his hands. He didn't want to talk about this, not with Yongguk. It was too embarrassing.
 
“Hey-” He put his hand on the boy's shoulders. “You can tell me. It's okay.”
 
Junhong gently shrugged his hand off and reached down for his book bag on the floor. He dug in it for the test, feeling Yongguk's eyes on him the whole time. He handed the test without meeting eyes with the older. He felt so ashamed. It made things worse that he'd actually tried.
 
“Why are you acting like this?” Yongguk chuckled. “This is great.” Junhong looked up and stared at him as if he'd grown two heads and the man continued. “Anything is better than an F. It just takes time and effort.”
 
“I really did try though.” His voice was so quiet that Yongguk was straining to hear him.
 
“You got a C plus, Junhong.” Yongguk leaned forward and placed the test on the coffee table in front of them before he gently held his chin and forced him to look up. “You went up two grades. You should feel proud. I'm proud of you.” Junhong forced himself to finally meet eyes with him and he suddenly wished he hadn't. He swallowed thickly; their faces were so close. He wanted to look away because he knew his face was turning red but Junhong felt frozen.
 
Yongguk stared back with a look the boy couldn't quite place before finally letting go of his face and standing up. He cleared his throat and smoothed down his suit. “We better get to work. You can help me out behind the check-in desk if you want.”
 
Neither said anything as they left the room and went towards the elevators. Junhong chewed at his chapped lips, using it as an excuse to stand closer to Yongguk as the elevator stopped on the next floor and a couple stepped inside with them. He felt their hands brush right as the doors opened again and the man hurried out, leaving Junhong behind; almost as if he didn't want to be so close to the younger.
 
It took Junhong a couple of seconds to catch up with him but he couldn't help but feel hurt, wondering if he'd done something wrong. He told himself he was just over thinking things and tried to push it out of his mind as he followed the man behind the check-in desk, watching as the older thanked a worker for covering for him.
 
It was quiet between the two as they checked in guests, Junhong making the keys and Yongguk dealing with the computers and guests. It didn't feel right to the younger but he didn't know what was wrong. Everything had been fine in the hotel room, so why was is so tense now? It felt like there was a huge distance even though he was standing right next to the older.
 
“Mr. Bang.” A teasing voice called out.
 
Junhong looked up from the files he was currently arranging and towards a beautiful woman standing in front of the desk. She moved so she was leaning against the counter and smiled at Yongguk. He glanced at Yongguk as the man smiled back and turned his attention to her. “Siyeon, you look beautiful.” He complimented and Junhong frowned as he glanced between the two. They flirted for a while and Junhong could feel himself getting sick. He didn't like seeing this side of Yongguk; he hated it.
 
“Are we still on for tonight?”
 
Junhong felt his blood run cold at that, his eyes widening ever so slightly as he looked at Yongguk. The man nodded his head. “Of course.” The older reached down for a folder and passed it to her. “Your room key is in here.”
 
With that, the woman turned and went towards the elevators, Junhong watching until she stepped onto one and disappeared. Yongguk sat down in the chair, typing away on the computer. “She's a business partner of mine.” And when Junhong didn't reply he looked over. “Hey.” He stood up when he saw the boy didn't look so well. “Are you okay?”
 
He stepped closer but Junhong backed away from him. “I- I don't feel so good.” He covered his mouth and made a dash for the bathroom, leaving Yongguk stunned. He barely made it to the toilet before he was emptying his stomach. He sank to the floor once he was done, his chest heavily rising and falling as he panted.
 
She's just a business partner. He told himself. Why are you getting so upset? Calm down. He scolded himself, wiping away the tears he just realized were falling down his face. She is just a business partner. He repeated over and over but it didn't seem to help any. He kept thinking about what happened in the elevator and the way Yongguk had smiled at the woman and talked with her.
 
He looked towards the door hearing a knock. Junhong ignored it and shakily stood up. He walked over to the sink and quickly rinsed off his face and mouth, all the while telling himself to calm down and it was nothing. He tried telling himself he was being ridiculous as he wiped his face with a paper towel. There was another knock at the door and he heard Yongguk say he was coming in.
 
“Are you okay?” Yongguk gently asked.
 
He took in a deep breath before turning around and nodding his head. “My stomach really hurts.” Junhong felt embarrassed and couldn't bring himself to meet eyes with the older.
 
“I heard there is a stomach virus going around. . .” He trailed off and gently guided the younger out of the bathroom and towards one of the couches in the lobby. Junhong sat down and stared at his hands. “You better go home. I'll call you a taxi since I can't leave work right now.” He bent down so he was at Junhong's level. “If you don't feel any better tomorrow, you can stay home, okay? I'll send someone to get your book bag out of my room.”
 
Junhong nodded his head without ever looking at the man. He just couldn't look at Yongguk right now. He thought he might break down if he did and he didn't want that. He didn't want to look so weak, so pathetic in front of the older.
 
Junhong wasn't able to sleep any that night. He stayed up tossing and turning, his thoughts eating him away at him because he knew there was more to that woman than just a business partner. He kept trying to tell himself that that was all it was but he knew.
 
He just knew.