Chapter 6

Between You & Me

{{Tiffany}}

 

She was always watching out for someone, even if she might not seem like it. Maybe that was what attracted me to her. Taeyeon was always selfless, unlike me. I didn't know what I was thinking when I thoughtlessly confessed to her. My mind was blank and that was the only phrase in mind.  Yuri yawned beside me, stretching her arms and slowly nodding off to her loud music. The van was quieter now, with all the members satisfied and tired. Jessica was asleep with her head against Hyoyeon, who was reading a book. Yoona was completely over Yuri. Sooyoung was silent  now that she too- had fallen asleep. Sunny's head rested in Taeyeon's lap, the oldest girl lightly her hair and smiling gently.

An unwanted feeling bubbled in my stomach and sunk deeper into my skin. I felt disgusting. I curled my upper lip and turned away, glancing out the darkened windows. I blocked my ears and huffed. I shouldn't be angry. It's normal. I had to remind myself. I mentally counted to three. Even so, I felt irritated. I could only stare at a black window for so long. The songs on the radio failed to catch my interest, or perhaps it was the hushed sound because we knew that our manager hated it when we blasted songs. 

The car continued on wordlessly. I guessed all the members were exhausted and asleep besides Taeyeon and I. I heard her divine voice, humming in a quiet, soothing tune. Her husband would be lucky. So would her child. I thought. They get to hear her voice all day. Singing... Laughing...My stomach turned to the idea. I shook my head and groaned quietly. Get out of my mind already... 

 

"I love you, I love you, I love you~"  She sang softly with a smile on her lips. She didn't feel my gaze resting on her, but that was best.  "Even if I say it a thousand times, it’s not enough..." 

I couldn't help but smile. I

Taeyeon continued to sing gently, shutting her eyes and bobbing her head to the melody in her mind. We were both vocalists but I knew that Taeyeon was in a complete other world from me. I can sing. But Taeyeon... She does more than sing. Her voice is unique, one-of-a-kind... Ethereal, in a way. She caught on to techniques quickly, practiced in her spare time  and just had an appealing voice. I always have to concentrate at live performances because I'm always swept away by Taeyeon's strong voice. She hits the high-pitches effortlessly, held the notes for the perfect amounts of time- she just seemed so perfect. She never made mistakes, at least, when she does, she covers them up completely.

Taeyeon was nearing the end of her song and I shut my eyes. Admiring her beautiful voice for just a bit more.

 

x - -  

"What are you doing?" I had curiously asked the sixteen year old Taeyeon who was beside the bed and quietly working on something that I could not see. The short girl glanced up to me before resting her gaze on her fingers again. 

"Paper stars." she responded after a few seconds of silence. 

"Why?" I asked as I cocked my head to one side to catch a better view. 

Sure enough, there on Taeyeon's colorful notebook lay many cute-patterned, long strips of star-folding paper. She had made at least ten of them already, she was on her eleventh one when she sighed and answered.

"No reason."

"Does that have something to do with that cheesy thing you said to me?" I had said teasingly, purposely flashing her one of the eye-smiles I knew she loved. Her eyes were large saucers and her cheeks flushed pink.

"What?" she said too quickly, "No! Of course not I just want to make it so-"  she cut off and struggled to find the right words. I laughed. Taeyeon was bad at things like these and I knew exactly what she wanted to say. After-all, she did buy one fancy jar for a lot of money, she definitely was going to do something with it.

"So?" I pressed on, I rose a brow and waited for her answer. The black-haired girl realized she couldn't win this argument. 

Taeyeon had an adorable pout on her face as she huffed angrily,

"Okay, it has something to do with what I said."

 

I smiled. 

One for Tiffany. 

I noticed Taeyeon's hands trembling. Oh gosh, was she nervous? I inspected her face more. Yup. Definitely embarrassed.  I contained the urge to tackle her in a suffocating hug. She's too cute. I smiled dumbly at her, remembering the words she had said. 

If no star falls for me, you are here with me on Earth, right, Taeyeon? 

 

"What's with that look on your face?" The shorty complained playfully as she gave me one rough, frisky nudge. 

"Nothing!" I sang happily. 

 

You can't read my mind now, can you Taeyeon? 

 

Upon closer inspection, I saw how some of the stars looked a bit... Funny.

"Taeyeon, those stars look funny. Are you even using the proper paper?" 

"I can't fold stuff well." she gave me another disappointed look and furrowed her brows. "I thought if I had small hands this would be easier." She showed me her hands before voicelessly expressing her frustration. 

"You look like the neat and tidy type." I had commented, proud that I had learned some more Korean grammar and now could hold a better conversation. I understood 90% of the regular words used in conversations now, which made making friends ten times easier.

"I am! Just not when it comes to folding paper." She defended herself and threw her arms up in the air. "I give up!" she exclaimed and fell back onto the bed, spraying the stars around the sheets. I frowned in response. It looked as though Taeyeon was a princess from a fairytale. The simple patterned bed-sheets, her suiting blouse, her plaited hair and the stars... Taeyeon most definitely was a princess, if not from a fairytale, from another dimension, or another world- even a planet, far away from this one.

"Okay, can I help then?" I suggested brightly. The short girl flailed her arms around, what I call "Octopus Taeyeon", a funny action she did when she was annoyed. 

"But it's for you!" Taeyeon complained, throwing a childish tantrum.

"And? I can't help make something that's mine?"

"Well you can- but that's just weird." She grumbled quietly, sitting up again.

"Well sorry I'm a weirdo."

"I didn't say-"

"You're a weirdo too."

"Hey!" the princess yelled and tackled me. We wrestled like boys on the bed until our manager came to see what was going on with the ruckus.

 

x - - 

 

"Goodnight kiddo," Sooyoung lightly knocked Taeyeon over the head, causing the latter to snap irritatingly. Soo just laughed and skipped into her room and quickly shut the door before Taeyeon could say anything nasty. She just made an annoyed face and fell onto our bed, too tried to chase the long-legged girl.  As if taking turns, all members came into our room and said their goodnights before all crawling back to their own rooms. It only took about fifteen minutes for the whole dorm to become quiet. When we were younger we would often prank other members when they were asleep.

For example, once Yuri decided to leave some chopped cucumbers in Jessica's pillow case and some cut melons in her bed. Sica woke the whole dorm up with an alarming scream. Then we were 'grounded' for two weeks. But even so, pranks still existed. Yuri and Yoona still often prank us, maybe just not to the extend they once did. They have really toned down the pranks. But nevertheless, I still check behind the doors, on the ceilings, in the bed and in suit-cases before I put anything in. Just recently Yuri got Sunny, and according to her usual cycles of pranking, it is very likely that I am next.

"Arh." Taeyeon grumbled as she carelessly stripped off her top and wriggled out of her shorts. She flung the garments onto the floor, now a snake's shed-skin as she slid under the covers and rolled over to her side of the bed. 

Taeyeon was sick. She had been sick for a few days now. A cough. Our manager says for her to not overwork herself but Taeyeon rarely listens to anything of the sort.  She was the type that rarely got sick, so when she did, she didn't know her limits.

 

 

x - -  

"Do you know where Taeyeon is?" 
 
I managed to phrase the question politely as I asked a trainee I'd seen a few times before. She was a pretty girl. She rolled her eyes at me and I knew from her body language that she was annoyed. Another girl came though, she was very beautiful. She said something that I couldn't understand to the annoyed girl, managing to get a small smile on her face. I later learned that this girl I met, the beautiful one, was called Yoona. Though then I referred to her as Doe. 
 
"What... Looking..." 
 
She spoke too fast that I couldn't quite comprehend what she was saying. 
 
"Taeyeon, Kim Taeyeon." 
 
Even with my bad Korean pronunciation, she understood me. She smiled and laughed in a graceful way as she gestured towards one of the doors down the hall. "Roof-top." she said. My eyes lit up when I understood. She saw this too as she smiled in response. 
 
"Im Yoona," she pointed to herself before looking at me, "You...?" 
 
"Steph-" I stopped myself.  "Miyoung." I said, "Hwang Miyoung." 
 
The girl had a gentle smile on her face. She was the type of girl that you would definitely want to become friends with.
 
"... Nice name ..." 
 
I smiled politely and dipped my head, "Thank you. I got... To go..." 
 
"Bye!" The gorgeous girl smiled warmly and waved as I wandered down the hall. It was rather dark and gloomy, the loud voices of the trainees soon faded into the distance. There was a steel door, as I clasped onto the handle I felt shivers down my spine. I pushed the door open and was met by some dusty, rusted stairs. As I climbed up the stairs, I was met with another door. 
 
Just what is Taeyeon doing here? 
 
But as I opened that last door I understood. 
 
That was the very first time I heard Taeyeon sing.
 

x - - 

 

It was my turn to switch off the lights and I did. I fumbled around blindly until I felt the edge of the mattress. I crawled in and followed Taeyeon's lead with dumping my top to god-knows-where. I inhaled deeply and felt my body relax almost instantly. It was a bit cold as it was raining outside. We had left the window open because I know Taeyeon hates it when we close the door. She feels as though we breathe in the dirty air constantly when we sleep, though I find that dorky and cute, she takes it very seriously. I could hear the calming sound of the rain droplets hitting the roof and dripping in puddles, as well as the gushing of the gutter outside. I loved the smell of rain. The nice scent that surrounds the area for days. It's calming and fresh.

"Fany, are you going tomorrow too?" Taeyeon's muffled voice cut off my thoughts.  She shifted. 

"Yeah." 

"It's raining though." I felt her hand clasp mine. She was cold. I gave her hand a little squeeze.

"It will be okay."

"You sure?" Taeyeon was a child. Her arms soon wrapped around my waist, causing me to gasp softly. I rested my hands on her arms and answered calmly.

"Dummy. I already agreed to go with Nichkhun." 

She didn't say anything else but I felt her body relax a bit. I was a bit scared. We were touching. She could hear my uncontrollably fast heartbeat. 

"You'll be back early?" She murmured, I felt her warm breath on the nape of my neck as her embrace tightened momentarily, as though she didn't want me to go. It was rare to feel Taeyeon's touch. Occasionally she is affectionate, but nowadays we seem oddly distant, like there is an invisible barrier between us. 

"Yup."

I heard her sigh and snuggle into my back. I felt her lips part to form a smile.

Her next words were a soft whisper. 

"Goodnight, baby." 

 

Wait. Did she just call me baby?

Oh crap. My heart is going to erupt.

 

"Goodnight..." My voice trembled a bit. 

 

The next second I felt her lips on my neck, softly, a light butterfly kiss. But it didn't stop there. She came dangerously close to my cheek... Her next action made my heart burst, I couldn't contain the feelings that were gushing upwards, shattering the tightly bottled jar of emotions.  

 

She kissed me. 

 

 

 

 

 

x - - 

A/N: I've read every single comment. Thank you to all the subscribers, bookmarkers and readers ^^;; I'm really glad a little random thing I wrote became an actual fic.Comments, constructive criticism, improvements all welcome. If you spot any mistakes feel free to point them out as I'm sick and very tired. 

Oh and I want to know, what do you guys think of the current layout? Font too small? Do you want a lighter background? etc. Thank you!