Chapter 3

Between You & Me

 

[ Taeyeon POV]

 

 

"Hello." I had finally mustered up enough courage to speak to my roommate. The taller girl took a few heart-beats to understand, it might have been the pace I said it. But once she understood, she gave me a friendly smile and replied with a heavy accent: "Hello."

 

 In that instance, my heart tightened painfully. I didn't know why. She seemed so adorable, especially that eye-smile.

Her body language and gestures seemed very different from mine. She must be one of those foreign trainees, I remember thinking to myself. Well, she must be very brave to venture out to a country she doesn't know, let alone, join an industry in that country. I knew that some of the trainees felt very resentful to some of the foreign trainees, their main argument being they won't ever be successful if they do not know the language or the culture.

 

"You're not from around here are you?" I spoke slowly, praying to god that she wasn't, otherwise I would've greatly insulted her. This girl however, did not think as much and just nodded. She flashed me another one of her dazzling smiles. "I'm from America." 

 

No wonder the accent. I remarked silently. "Oh, I'm Taeyeon." I introduced myself awkwardly, "You're?" I hoped I picked my words easily, so she wouldn't have to stumble for a dictionary. Fortunately, this girl knew how to introduce herself (or maybe just guessed from my introduction). 

 

"Stephanie... But you can call me Miyoung." She introduced, dipping her head slightly. "I'll be in your care now." 

 

"Ah, me too." I followed her action with a little head dip. Stephanie and Miyoung gave off completely different vibe to me, a perrson's name symbolizes an incomprehensible importance. I believe over time, I have become attached to Stephanie, the bright trainee, Miyoung, the girl who strived to learn Korean and the culture, but most of all- Tiffany, the kind-hearted girl who had been by my side from the very beginning. 

 

 

x---

 

 

With the little knowledge of the Korean language, this girl still greeted me with simple phrases. Sometimes she would point to an object and ask how to say it. I tried to help her with her pronounciation- and this was very difficult. We even had to draw pictures, use exaggerated gestures to communicate. Newly recruited trainees probably thought we were a bit crazy. Heck, even older trainees thought we were a bit off-in-the-head. Obviously, I noticed all this. But Tiffany- probably didn't. Even if she did, she brushed everything off with a loving smile. The memory remains strong in my head, "How does this girl smile so much?" I thought. 

 

That smile of hers, however, had become infectious. 

 

"Are you hungry?" I said, slowing down the pace of my talking. She tilted her head and furrowed her brows. "Are," I said, "You" I pointed to her, "hungry?" my hands moved down to my stomach. Clearly, she did not understand what I was saying. I thought about it. Reaching for a serviette, I drew a messy, weirdly shaped kimbap. I placed it to my mouth and acted out as though I was eating it. She nodded her head, her lips pursed into a shapely 'o'.  "So? Are you hungry?" Her eyes lit up when she understood me, nodding.  From the corner of my eye I caught some trainees muttering something to one another. When they caught my gaze they quickly glanced away and turned their backs.

 

"They think we're crazy," unconsciously the sentence slipped out my mouth. Another confused look was on her face. She didn't understand. 

 

"They," I gestured to the passing trainees.

"Think," I point to my head,

"We're", I gestured to us,

"Crazy," I did the hand motion. 

 

She just smiled and shook her head. Then I thought, Aish this girl. All she does is smile. 

 

But I soon realised, all I needed was for her to smile. Whatever smile that may be, over the years, I have seen everyone of them. 

 

That pained smile when he left her. That happy smile when she greets each of us in the morning. That excited smile when she was on stage, bouncing up and down to the music. That confused smile she does when a host asks her a weird question. That awkward smile she has when she meets a boy... And that indescribable smile she does for me. 

 

I believed as long as you smiled for me, I can do anything. If you're here with me, I'm invincible, I'm fearless. 

Because of you, I can be the me I am today.

 

 

x---

 

 

 

"Yah stop that!" 

 

Sunny's voice dragged my unwilling self back to reality, in the crammed van where the nine of us sat in three uncomfortable rows. Unfortunately, I sat in the middle with Tiffany and Jessica, the unfortunate thing not being sitting with them, but being in the middle meant we heard every little noise the members made.

 

"Yuri-ah~ you call this singing? It's all off-pitch." Hyoyeon teased the singing Yuri, who was wearing earphones and had her music up really loud. This was a usual occurrence in the cramped van, especially in early mornings (or when we were excited). The last row, Yoona, Seohyun and Yuri craned their necks to see the first-rowers Hyoyeon, Sooyoung and Sunny. 

 

"Be quiet! I forgot the lyrics now." An annoyed Yuri snapped, "What comes after this verse?" 

 

"Do your job properly Yuri~" Sunny chimed in playfully,

 

"You  two do your job properly," The black pearl threw back a weak retort. 

 

"I just dance." Dancing Queen mimicked one of Yuri's dorky dances she shown on a variety show, the group laughed and Yuri did the same. Helplessly.

 

"And I just" Instantly I blocked my ears, predicting this would happen. Noticing me, Tiffany did the same. Judging by the member's sour expressions, Sunny was probably displaying her mind-blowing, heart wrenching aegyo.

 

"Yuri, if you're going to play music that loud you might as well pull the earphones out so we can all hear it." Sooyoung, the long-legged girl said whilst eating ramyeon. 

 

"Yoona, they're bullying me." The defeated Yuri whined, if not for Seohyun stuck in the middle, Yuri would have been all over her. This was a rare scene, normally Yoona was with Seohyun, and Yuri sort of just wandered around, spoke to other members (like Jessica) but since the sickle was asleep, Yuri had no choice but to resort to her previous lover, Yoona. 

 

"Aigoo, my child." 

"Unnie don't squish me please." Seohyun complained softly, 

"We should be quiet, Jessica's going to be angry if we wake her." Sunny's voice returned.

"Eh, Sunny taking sides again?" Hyoyeon threw a hurtful look in Sunny's direction.

 

I sigh, we all knew this was going to end up in a loud, noisy van and a very annoyed manager. I shut up and watched them throw comments at each other.

 

"Ah! Sooyoung has food! No wonder she's been so quiet!" 

"Sharing is caring Soo~" Yuri joined the conversation, 

"You think the god of food would give us food?" Yoona's words made Hyoyeon smile,

"She just eats food." the dancing machine spoke for her. 

"Yah, she's also listening to something." Sunny's aegyo kicked in, 

" again?" 

The remark by all the members caught Sooyoung's attention.

"That was just ONE time okay? You've all done it too!"

"You influenced us." 

"That's your fault!" 

 

 

 

"Be quiet!" 

 

Our manager shouted, irritated. Tiffany flinched beside me, and Jessica, did not budge to his loud voice at all. What an amazing ability, sleeping for 16 hours. As expected of So Nyuh Shi dae's sleeping beauty. If we were still the newly debuted Girls Generation, we would've immediately shut up. However, as years gone by, we became less afraid of our manager. Now, he's more like a grumpy father figure to all of us. So, Sooyoung and the rest always enjoyed testing his limits. Of course, this meant they did not shut up and instead continued talking. 

 

"Ahh, Manager- oppa's angry,"

"Boo, so scary."

"I told you to be quiet." The maknae muttered, barely audible.

"It's not my fault, it's yours too."

"Anyway-" Hyoyeon cut off, "God, look at that dog it's so cute!" 

Now all members had their faces pressed against the darkened windows, squealing to the sight of a fluffy dog trotting down the street. 

 

 

x---

 

 

After a noisy ride to the radio station, we bowed to the workers there and took our seats. Manager gave us a stern look, expecting us to be on our best behaviour. Now, radio stations almost seem like an everyday happening. Nothing too scary. The members acted like they usually do, cutting each other off, mimicking skits and laughing loudly. It was at times like this, I truly realized how lucky I am. We loved each other dearly. That itself, is enough for me.

 

 

 

"OK, so to wrap this up, we have a question from one of our viewers." The host was beginning to wrap the interview up, "Since Tiffany hasn't answered anything, we'll give this question to her!"

 

We all clapped and cheered, like we usually do.

 

"If you can have any power imaginable, what would you have?" 

 

I glanced in her direction. Fany hesitated, biting her lip, thinking over the question carefully.  Silence fell again. 

 

"Ah that's easy! Taeyeon would want to grow taller!"  Hyoyeon broke silence with an obvious statement, this caused laughter and I laughed too. Hyoyeon truly was an irreplaceable addition to So Nyuh Shi dae. She caused laughter in so many ways.

 

"Yeah I would," 

 

"So would Sunny," Soo added, Sunny gave Sooyoung one aegyo-filled pout.

"And you would wish to be cuter." Her retort hit home. 

"Yuri wants to be lighter!"  Yoona pitches in,

"You wish you had a smaller mouth!" The black pearl retorted,

"Aish, who are we asking?"

 

"I..." Tiffany spoke up, the noise ceased. "I probably want the ability to understand people." 

 

"Ah."
"Tiffany's so cute!~"

"Oh gosh, Taeyeon's wife is so adorable~"

 

"Aigoo Fany, you're adorable." The sentence escaped my mouth, our eyes met and she flashed me another bewitching eyesmile. This Tiffany... 

 

"So, this is what So Nyuh Shi dae's Tiffany wishes for, the ability to understand one's heart, OK guys thank you for listening to..."

 

 

x---

 

The host's voice faded into the background. The member's laughing too, faded slowly. The world around was silent and monochrome. I found myself staring at Tiffany's wonderful smile, her little actions and expressions. I didn't want her to catch me staring, but at the same time, I did. I couldn't afford to look away. I would miss her warmth. Then, like feeling my stare, her eyes met mine. In a split-second, this black and white 'box' of mine, were filled with vibrant, emotion-filled colours. She smiled again. Even with the laughing, noisy members, I found myself singling out her voice, her figure, her smile. No matter how far apart we are, I could always feel the kindness that radiated off her. Even after all these years, never once has it vanished.She rose a brow to my faint smile. I imitated her awkward smile. She pouted. 

 

It didn't last long though. Before Sooyoung spoke again (Which hardly takes any time), Tiffany had let loose another genuinely happy smile. 

 

I found myself sighing inwardly.

 

This girl... Was clueless. 

 

But this is what makes her so cute.

 

It's the satisfied feeling that bubbles up when she finally gives you her attention. 

 

Even if I can't truly belong in your heart,

You'll always have some space for me there right?

Afterall, your heart is as endless as the sky, broad and accepting.

 

Even if you have infinite clouds to look after, 

I like to think that there will always be a place in there for me. 

No matter how small or inconspicuous.

 

 

 

x---


Author's Note:

I made the font a bit bigger (16), hopefully the colour/size is easier to read now. (I know the pain of squinting and trying to read tiny font). Anyway~ Another chapter! This is actually decent updating for a lazy person like me c'x 

I hope this chapter hasn't been too disappointing, stay tuned for Chapter 4!  ^ - ^

And 40+ subs? Seriously? Thanks guys <3

Look forward to chapter 7 and 8 c;