Chapter 4

Between You & Me

[ Tiffany POV ]

 

 

Because if I had that ability, I would understand you more. I thought. Then it wouldn't hurt that much.

Sometimes I believe she has the power to read minds, though she doesn't show it. She was always thinking. Sometimes you would think she was a bit depressed- but then she would flash you one of those small smiles, which would make your tummy squirm with warm feelings. I can't thank her enough for what she has done for me. 

I'm glad that I'm here with her today. To stand next to the girl with such a beautiful voice and watch her shine so gorgeously- there couldn't be more that I could ask for. In a way, I would step down into her shadow, into the crowd of screaming fans just so I can admire her more.  When I think of it in that way, I always remind myself how fortunate I am.What were the chances we could have met then- and there? The chances we became roommates? The chances we debuted together? The chances we made it so far because of each other? So diminutive I didn't even want to think about it.

Taeyeon had risen to hold such an important place in my life that I didn't want to imagine my time in So Nyuh Shi Dae without her. I didn't even want to imagine the life of an idol without Taeyeon, the dorky ajumma who held back her tears whilst the rest of us cried waterfalls of joy. She truly was a wonderful gem. Brighter than gems Tiffany? I think not. You're the brightest one here, Taeyeon.

 

x---

 

"Hurry up Tiffany, the car's already outside!" Our Shikshin yelled through the TV station's changing rooms. I heard her bang on the door a couple of times before whining, "I'm starving, c'mon~" 

"Ahh I forgot..." An English sentence slips out my mouth. The banging stops, she must have given up- or went to find more minions to bug me. 

Argh. Kim Taeyeon. Invading my thoughts again. I glance to the floor, where my top and singlet lay sprawled like dead, forgotten bodies. Frustrated, I tugged at my hair, wincing in pain as it refused to release from the holds of the hook on my bra. "Oh my god," more English escapes. It was a habit. Better than cursing, though. If we weren't in such a rush in the morning, this wouldn't have ever happened. Why didn't they have a mirror in here? It would make the work ten times easier. Even with at least six plus years of experience when it comes to putting on a bra and unhooking it, this still happens from time to time. "Gosh why won't you budge?" 

"Tiffany are you okay in there?" Taeyeon's soothing voice drifts in from behind the shut door. I hear her knock softly. 

"No." I mumble angrily, "My hair's stuck." 

"On your shirt button?" She asks innocently.

"I wouldn't go to a change-room just for that." I reply, annoyed at myself, but more- at my hair and at my bra. 

Taeyeon was silent, like she was waiting for me to explain the situation to her. I could hear the busy pacing footsteps of the TV station's staff, I was sure they could hear me too. 

"Taeyeon, come closer." I say hastily,

"Why?!" I could imagine the look of disbelief on her face, she looked almost flustered by the words that just came out my mouth.

"Because it's embarrassing..." I hiss. As if I could just say aloud, 'Yo Taeyeon, my hair is sorta stuck do you mind waltzing in here and helping me? It's perfectly fine cuz we're both girls y'know.' 

I hear a defeated sigh. "F-Fine. Just hurry up." She must have pressed her ear against the door, leaning closer I manage to get the embarrassing words out. 

"My hair... It's stuck on the back of my bra, it's all tangled..." 

"Why are you telling me this? Aish-" 

"Are you going to help me or not?" I whine. 

"OK OK. Open up." She mumbles, obeying her order I quickly pull the door open, the flustered Taeyeon rushes in and slams the door behind her. 

 

x---

 

I could sense Taeyeon's gaze laying on me. We both must've sensed the awkward tension in the air. I turned around, "Hurry up." 

I felt a little uneasy being so close to Taeyeon, let alone, be half- in front of her. 

"A-ah yeah." She stutters. I feel her warm hands fumble clumsily across my back,

"Ah gosh, if I didn't know you were a girl I woudl've thought you were a guy," I complain playfully.

"Jeez, I've never done this to anyone." She pouts, embarrassed. 

"Is my hair in the way?" I saw her craning her neck to see through my thick hair, 

"A little," she replies through a mouthful of stray hair. We both laugh at her sound. I brush my hair aside, sweeping them up in a loose ponytail, revealing my bare neck.

Her heated breath brushed against my neck, sending shivers down my spine. I tightly shut my eyes, already feeling weak in the knees. Unconsciously I bit my lip and breathed heavily. This was bad. Taeyeon's hands were quivering anxiously, groping around blindly. Finally, she had unhooked it and rescued the annoying bit of stray hair before hooking it again. 

 

"He's calling," She said, I heard the familiar ringtone. As I ran my fingers through my hair, smoothing out the rough, stray ends. 

"Leeteuk?" I manage to get the unwanted name out of my mouth, 

"Yup." 

"Oh... Don't start another scandal." I tease in a lively manner.

"Hush."She sticks her tongue out, after skimming through the text she asks,"What about Nichkhun?" 

"Okay." I respond quickly, not putting much thought to it. 

"You really love him don't you?"

"Mhmm." 

I was glad there was no mirror in that TV station changing room. If Taeyeon was a mind-reader, or a mentalist, has ESP or telepathy, she would have been able to tell immediately. You would have been able to sense the doubt when I answered your question about 'loving' him. I'm bad at hiding my emotions, unlike Taeyeon. She could hate your guts yet smile sweetly at you. There was another feeling submerging in my stomach. 

"I love you too though, Taeyeon." I say aloud with a somewhat sad smile. 

"Be careful what types of guys you become friendly with," Was what you told me right? Because anyone can say 'I love you,' anyone can text, 'I love you,' anyone can hold your hand, but not anyone can make you happy. Right? 

 

"Too? I'm your safety net?" She grunts bitterly, though in a playful manner, under all that lay a stinging venom.

My kid leader, you might be able to read minds, but you don't know...

Just because I'm dating him, doesn't mean I love him… Right? 

 

"Nope, you're not my safety net." 

She laughs in her ajumma way as I hurriedly throw on my top. In the silence as I was re-dressing myself, Taeyeon stood in the corner and averted her gaze. Thoughts were rushing through my head, a million thoughts a second. 

'I love you Tiffany~' 

What love did you mean then? 'I love you Nichkhun,' what love did I mean then? I didn't know. Did I mean it? I don't know. If love could be defined easily, I wouldn't have to suffer like this would I? If it's the feeling of wishing to be by your side, in your heart, receiving your attention, seeing your smile and aging with you- combined with an indescribable feeling... Then Taeyeon,

I might be in love with you.

 

Hey...

"I love you, Taeyeon." 

 

 

 

 

x---

 

 

A/N: I'm trying to form the good habit of updating regularly. It's somewhat working so far. What do you guys think of the chapters so far? It's a bit short but I had to update today (as I won't have time tomorrow).

Oh btw, I ship Khuntoria all the way. (and ot9). I've always wanted to spell Nichkhun as NICKHUN... Urgh. Took me so much time to correct this.

And guys, Happy Valentines (early) day c:

(Look forward to Chapter 7 & 8 )