1.5

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Five

 

---

 

Sooyoung did not know how it happened, but the minute she left her room for dinner, everyone were staring at her as she walked past, whispering words as their eyes never left the uncomfortable brunette. It had barely been four hours since the Star Ranking Assortment, and yet apparently, everyone in the whole school were already notified or known that she was a no star.

 

“If she doesn’t have any ability, why is she still here? Does she have any ties or relation in the academy—“

“In the whole history of Aeradias, she might be the one and only no-star to actually still be in the school—“

“Gosh, how embarrassing must it have been for her, I mean even Mrs Jung was there—“

“Maybe the letter was wrongly delivered to her house—“

 

Whispers filled the entire hallway as she pushed past the rampage of hungry (not anymore though) girls, who at first were rushing towards the dining room having to smell the waft of lasagne in the air. Their movements were halted when they caught sight of the first year student, and their hungry stomachs were immediately forgotten.

 

“What are you staring at?” Yoona hissed at the students staring at her friend as though she was a freak. (which was rather an irony considering how those with abilities are the ones that are not normal.) “Scoot over!”

 

Sooyoung pretended as hard as she could that she wasn’t affected by any of the words hanging in the air, but it was proven to be difficult when she could barely feel her legs moving. She heaved a sigh of gratitude when Seohyun dragged her towards the dining room quickly, past the intimidating crowd and into a place where everyone was forced to be seated properly and to behave appropriately.

 

Even in a room where only the first years are in, Sooyoung could feel all eyes on her despite everyone being seated at empty chairs. She looked down onto her covered bowl of lasagne, no longer excited to taste the dish Yoona had said was the best, according to her mother.

 

Just then, the main double doors were opened and in walked Miss Kwon and a young man beside her. Sooyoung was almost grateful for his appearance as her year mates shifted their attention away from her almost at once and instead, directed their attentions to the drop dead gorgeous young man in front. Even Yoona dropped her spoon, momentarily forgetting how hungry she was. It took Sooyoung a smack on the head to get her friend to tear her gaze from the young teacher.

 

“Ohmygosh,” Yoona gushed. “Isn’t that the hottie teacher we saw yesterday? What is he doing here?”

 

Her question was answered a second after that, when the said teacher cleared his throat and smiled (no doubt a bad move, for the girls began to swoon over him again) before saying in a loud and clear voice; “Good evening, ladies. I am Jung Yunho, and I will be in charge of the First Years from now onwards with Miss Kwon here,”

 

The students’ faces light up in excitement while some immediately covered their mouths to refrain their inner squealing from escaping. A small portion of the students' promptly tossed their hair in a manner where Sooyoung and Seohyun stared in both surprised and horrified.

 

"Gosh, have they not seen a man before? What's with the hair tossing? " Sooyoung thought in amusement. "I don't remember much hair tossing in Junior High ...although..." The brunette frowned, "I think I faintly do remember some  hair pulling that resulted in some real hair tossing--" 

 

“Hi, I’m Kwon BoA.” The young female teacher beside Drop-Dead-Gorgeous greeted with a wave. “Nice to meet everyone here,” She said and smiled. The first years gawked at how beautiful the female teacher was, and even when the two teachers sat down at the main table and gestured everyone to eat, it was difficult to tear away their gazes from both Jung Yunho and Kwon BoA.

 

As Sooyoung continued to dig into her meal, overwhelmed by how delicious the lasagne tasted, she was almost glad that she was no longer the center of the spotlight.

 

At least for now.

 

--

 

“Yoona unnie!” An unfamiliar female voice was heard the next morning along the corridor, and the three friends turned around to find a blond-haired student rushing towards them, a bright smile on her face.

 

“Unnie!” She excitedly called out towards Yoona, who at first seemed rather blur and was cracking her head for answers of who this young lady was. “Don’t you remember me? It’s Nana!”

 

“Nana?” Yoona gasped, her confused expression was quickly replaced with an excited one. “Oh my gosh, Nana! It’s been ages!”

 

Seohyun and Sooyoung exchanged curious looks at each other, but said nothing. They continued to observe the two acquaintances that were now squealing and hugging each other as if they were long lost friends. Well, they probably were.

 

“How are you? How’s aunty and uncle? How do you like Aeradias so far?” Questions after questions were thrown at Yoona by the girl named Nana, and it wasn’t long before both Seohyun and Sooyoung shifted their feet awkwardly.

 

“I’m fine, they’re fine, and Aeradias is really cool, I’m liking it so far!” Yoona answered her questions with a bright smile before turning to her two friends. “Nana, these are my friends, Seohyun and Sooyoung—“

 

“Hello,” Seohyun greeted politely.

“Hi!” Sooyoung nodded her head, smiling.

“Oh, hello—“ Nana waved in return, her butterfly bracelet making soft noises as they knocked against her wrist. “I’m Im Jinah, also known as Nana. I’m Yoona’s cousin.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Nana-sshi.” Seohyun smiled and the younger student smiled back before shifting her attention back at her cousin.

 

 “So, Yoona unnie, what star ranking are you?” Nana asked and Sooyoung immediately froze in her spot.

“I’m a Two-Star! You?”

 

Nana pointed at the sole red star on her right collar, and Yoona gasped. “You’re a Special-Star?”

“It isn’t fun to be one, trust me.” Nana rolled her eyes. “I can’t even use my ability.”

“What do you mean by that?” Her older cousin asked, tilting an eyebrow.

“They make me wear this,” Nana dangles her arm which wore the butterfly bracelet. “Basically all the time. I can’t project my ability as long as I have this on, and trust me, this cannot be taken off.”

“Umm okay, I never knew your ability is that spe—“

 

“Well, that’s what you get when your ability is classified ‘dangerous’.” She sighed before continuing; “Hey, what are your Star rankings?” Nana directed her question suddenly at the two quiet friends beside her cousin.

 

“One star,” Seohyun answered softly, glancing at her lonely star pinned on her collar.

When Sooyoung didn’t answer, Nana cocked an eyebrow before she realized the n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter