1.12

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Previously on Lux Indeficiens: Kangta takes drastic measures in order to ignite Sooyoung's hidden magical ability. By using fear, Sooyoung successfully provokes her inner-self as an ability carrier by projecting the ability of telekenisis, resulting in Kangta annoucing the news happily to Headmistress Jung and Deputy Headmistress Park Kahi. After his dismissal from the headmistress' office, Headmistress Jung strikes up a conversation about the past--Sooyoung's mother, Saeyoung--before revealing to her deputy, her intention to convey a secret message to the Headmaster of Eleutherius Heim discreetly under the disguise of the girls visiting the all-boys school again.

--

Chapter Twelve

--

 

On Thursday morning, all Aeradians, with the exception of the Fourth and Fifth Years, gathered at the front gate of the Academy at sharp 8 in the morning. They stood in their lines in silence, their appearances prim and proper, uniforms neat and crisp as the Deputy Headmistress walked from one end to the other, checking the row of students in her usual manner of strictness.

And as usual, by the rows of First Years stood Yunho and BoA, the former looking especially excited at the given opportunity to return to his alma mater. It has been a long time since he visited Eleutherius Heim, and when he heard from the Headmistress that they would be visiting, he was over the moon.

Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun huddled together in their lines; the mere thought of visiting another magical school was all it took not to wipe the grins off their faces. Will Eleutherium Heim be as huge as Aeradias? How many buildings does Eleutherius Heim have? Are they built on ground or under, or over the hills or below, with shapes of all sorts or would all buildings be similar? Will their decorations be as grand and opulent as Aeradias?

 

So many questions lingered in their minds, and just as Taeyeon, the Third Year prefect who was helping Kahi to check their appearance, strolled past them, Yoona grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving.

“Yes?” Taeyeon asked, slightly alarmed.

Yoona was grinning. “How’s Eleutherius Heim like? You’ve been there before, right?”

Hearing that question only made the Third Year chuckle as she answered, “Oh. It’s cool. You’ll see soon.” before resuming her duties and disappearing into another row.

“Say, do you think we’ll be travelling by teleportation again?” Yoona whispered, and her friends could see the worry on her face. They hesitated in answering her question, since they weren’t sure as well. “I wouldn’t want to throw up in front of the boys, if you get what I mean.” Yoona finished her sentence with a nervous laugh, just as Kahi’s voice resonated in the air, loud and clear.

 

Seohyun raised an eyebrow, wondering how Kahi’s voice is just as loud despite her standing a few metres in front. She looked around for any possible answer, and spotted the teacher beside Kahi. Jo Mihye, who was in charge of the Third Year students, as far as Seohyun remembers, possesses the ability of sound manipulation.

“When we reach Eleutherius Heim, I expect all of you to be in your best behaviours.” The Deputy Headmistress repeated for the umpteenth time, before settling her gaze at the small group—the ones with dangerous abilities—in front. “Especially all of you,”

Im Jinah scoffed and replied in a sarcastic manner; “Oh, don’t worry, we still have this bracelet on us, don’t we? Without our abilities, we aren’t going to create any problems there.”

By now, Kahi has learned to ignore any remarks the younger student would make. She turned to face the crowd again and continued, “We’ll be going to the school using the Gate of Portal. It should open anytime now.” Kahi then turned around so that her back was now facing the students. She checked her wristwatch, unamused at the lack of punctuality from the other side, her lips pressed firmly to form a thin line. “They’re late. Typical.”

 

“Kahi-nim is waiting for the representatives in Eleutherius Heim to open the Portal for us.” BoA turned to her First Years to explain, “The Portal will not open unless authorised by the other side.”

“Why can’t we use the teleportation stone?” A student inquired, and Yoona has the urge to remove her shoe and throw it at whomever it was who had asked the question.

“There are too many people; there aren’t enough stones for all.” BoA answered, smiling before adding cheekily, “Plus, it won’t be graceful to land in an all-boys school that way, isn’t it?”

“Exactly, that!” Yoona agreed loudly, and she exchanged a wink with the teacher in front. Yunho stared at them, amused. “Them I can understand, but you too?” He whispered, and BoA merely shrugged, still smiling.

“Yoona, do you think we’ll meet…” Sooyoung’s ears turned pink suddenly just as Yoona glanced her way. Before the brunette could finish her sentence though, a sudden blue light began to gleam in front—so bright, that the students had to shield their eyes with their hands.

 

Between the holes of her fingers, Sooyoung could see the light gleaming in a shape of an oval. From the hollow space at the center, swirls of purple and blue in different tones and shades are interwoven to form a mix vibrant of colors. As she stares on in fascination, two of the teachers in front walked briskly towards the portal. When Sooyoung squint her eyes for a better look, they were gone.

“Wow.” Yoona whispered beside, and Seohyun nodded in agreement.

Following the two teachers, the Third Years began to make their way into the portal one by one. Kahi stood silently by the small group of Dangerous Carriers, monitoring both the students walking into the portal, and the group led by Jinah. From afar, Sooyoung could make out the sulks on their faces, arms crossed around their chests as they tapped their feet impatiently for their turn.

 

“What does it feel like to step into the portal?” Someone asked out loud, and Yunho turned his head to look at the First Years again.

“Like walking through a wall of freezing cold vapour,” He grinned at everyone’s ‘ohhs’ and ‘ahhs’ before adding, “but don’t worry, you will not feel nauseous.”

Beside him, BoA rolled her eyes, knowing exactly what her colleague had meant behind those words.

“So when we step into the portal, we’ll immediately step out on the grounds of Eleutherius Heim?” Another person asked, and Yunho nodded his head. “That’s right.”

Awed, Yoona blurted out, “Then why can’t we use this mode of transportation every time? Why do we need to—” she stopped midway when she realized BoA was staring at her. Feigning a cough as a cover up, she pretended to look at the Second Years in front.

Seohyun nudged her gently, “Because portals only open in a two-way agreement. Too much hassle if we were to use it all the time.”

 

When it was finally time for the First Years to enter, her friends moved eagerly to the front, somewhat impatient to experience going into the portal for the first time. Judging from their expressions alone, Sooyoung could sense the wave of excitement and nervousness amongst her peers. She also noticed that by now, the lights emitting from the portal were not as bright as they first were when the portal appeared, but before she could inquire anyone about this observation, it was her turn to step into the portal.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter