2.3

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously on Lux Indeficiens; As Sooyoung's ability has been revealed, Kahi had decided to teach Sooyoung how to properly control her ability. The news regarding Sooyoung's new found ability spread easily (and in a speed of lightning) and the No-Star was finally awarded with Two-Stars. Of course, when this news reached the young Im Jinah, who had been classified as Dangerous and had been power-bound for years, she was clearly unhappy over the biasness displayed. During the next Special Ability (S.A) Class, Kahi decided that it was time to tell her First Year students that not everything in the magical community is happy happy joy joy, as there exists a group of Anti-pacifist known as Volksraad who seeks for a world of magic alone without cohabitating with the Non-Ability Carriers (aka the Mortals/Humans). Kahi also briefly explained to her students about the First Volksraad War with the Magical Alliance, which had occured 16 years ago, remembering in memory, all those who had died to protect the magical and the non magical community.

 

Part Two; Chapter Three

--

 

 

“It’s destroyed.”

Kahi lied, her expression betraying nothing over the fact that the stone was still very much in tact, what more that the stone was in Headmistress Jung’s possession. Deep down, Kahi could feel herself trembling slightly; the memory of what happened sixteen years ago was firmly rooted in her mind, that the mere thought of the very object that caused the war, that it remained undestroyed, set an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Kahi’s gaze shifted from Sooyoung and briefly landed on Yoona, a sudden realization struck her almost immediately.

Hmm?

Yoona frowned, her eyebrows knitted together as she continued to stare at the teacher in front of her. Though, there was no longer anything in the teacher’s mind for her to read. Yoona jumped in her seat when their eyes met, knowing all too well that she was caught in the act of using her ability on the teacher in front. Kahi simply raised an eyebrow, as if challenging her to try and read her mind again. Yoona gulped.

Sorry. She mentally apologized, somehow knowing that she wasn’t the only mind reader in the room. I won’t do it again.

Her suspicion was proven to be correct when she saw how Kahi looked away, unwrapping her arms around her chest as she moved on to another topic for their lesson today. Yoona sighed in relief, glad that she didn’t get into any trouble for reading the teacher’s mind without her permission—more so in regards to the ever so stern deputy headmistress. Yoona felt that her teacher wouldn’t appreciate having her inner thoughts trespassed by a first year student, but she still had to try, out of sheer curiosity on what the deputy headmistress was thinking about. She did manage to read some of her teacher’s thoughts before this, though nothing out of the context from which Kahi had told them regarding Volksraad.

Yoona was confused though, for before she could no longer read her teacher’s mind, Kahi had, for the briefest of second, thought about something that made Yoona puzzled.

Something unsettling regarding the stone, though Yoona was unsure of what. Before she could probe further, Kahi’s mind suddenly became blank—a sign which Yoona knew that she had caught her invading her thoughts and opted to think of nothing instead.

“Say, do you think it’s possible that Kahi-songsaengnim is a mind-reader as well?”

Yoona decided to ask Seohyun after their class ended that day, as they were packing to go back to their room. “Why do you say that?” Seohyun asked, grabbing the books from her desk and promptly turned to wait for Sooyoung.

“It’s just…sometimes I feel like she knows what we’re thinking. Like earlier, when I apologized out of reflex for reading her mind, I swore she acknowledged—”

“You read Kahi-songsaengnim’s mind?” Seohyun’s eyes widened in surprise. Even Sooyoung stopped packing her bag to stare at Yoona’s bold move. “You do know that we’re not allowed to use our abilities on the teachers, right?”

Yoona nodded hastily. “I know, I know. But well, I had to try. I wanted to see how much I’ve improved, if I could now read the mind of someone who’s a lot more powerful than me. The last time I tried was on Boa-songsaengnim, anyway. Plus, I wouldn’t have thought she would realize…”

“So did you succeed?” Sooyoung piped up, curious. “I’ve always wanted to know what’s going on in her mind, to be honest.”

 “Exactly! That was why I tried to use my ability on her, and for a few seconds, I did manage to read her thoughts!” Yoona excitedly explained in a hushed tone. “She was telling us about Volksraad at that moment so her thoughts were naturally on that group. But…I don’t know, really.” Yoona’s frown returned. “I think her thoughts changed for a slight moment, and I managed to catch something about that stone which she didn’t disclose to us, but it wasn’t a clear read by that time.”

Seohyun frowned. “Maybe she realized you were reading into her thoughts and decided to shut you out from her mind. She could do that, you know, given her experience and power.”

“Thought so. One second I could read her mind and the next, it became blank. And when she read my mind, is she the only person who could do that or can everyone do that too?” Yoona scratched her chin. “Because if everyone can eventually learn how to do that, then what’s the point of being born with this ability?”

“I read somewhere that we could choose to learn that in our third year or something. Reading minds, I mean.” Sooyoung shrugged.

“Gee, that makes me feel very special.” Yoona sighed in return.

“Not everyone could master it, though, so no worries.” Seohyun slung an arm around Yoona’s shoulder in attempt to comfort her. “I heard that out of a hundred student who took that elective, only ten percent could master it fully. Even that, I’m sure their mind reading skills aren’t on par with those born with it.”

Yoona smiled, though she didn’t say anything else. As her friends made their way outside with her towing behind, Yoona’s mind wandered back to that one sentence she had caught from Kahi’s thoughts. She didn’t exactly catch it in full, just a few words here and there, but it was enough to confuse her, since Kahi had answered that the stone was destroyed.

If the stone is gone, why is Kahi-songsaengnim still worried over it? 

 

--

 

“How could I be so careless?”

Kahi muttered under her breath, angry at herself for letting slip such vital information which Headmistress Jung had entrusted to her—though she very much wished the older lady had not. It worries her that that student, Im Yoona, may have read from her mind that the stone was not destroyed, and Kahi continued to grumble over her carelessness for forgetting that she had a natural mind reader in the batch this year.

“What happened?” A voice was heard suddenly. Kahi didn’t have to turn around to know it belonged to Kangta, who had magically appeared behind her out of thin air.

“Are you playing around with that potion again?” She ignored his question briskly, knowing all too well that the senior teacher had tried the invisibility potion he had bought from Central Park. The last time Kangta had tried, he had drank too much of it that it took two days for him to become visible again.

“I was, but now I’ve gotten the hang of it. A sip of the potion would make you invisible for ten minutes, two sips, therefore, would make it twenty minutes. However, if you drink three sips, the time shoots up to fourty-five minutes—”

Kahi groaned. “How much did you drink that time then that you were invisible for forty-eight hours?”

“I believed I swallowed half the bottle.” Kangta shrugged, to which Kahi scoffed. “What? It tastes like orange juice, you wouldn’t be able to help yourself.”

“Sure, whatever you say.”

“But nevermind that, why do you look extra tense today?” Kangta raised an eyebrow. “Did something happen during the S.A lesson?”

“I forgot that there was a telepath in the class.” Kahi explained as briefly as she could without revealing too much. After all, Kangta doesn’t know of the truth regarding the stone, yet, and today sure as hell will not be the day she reveal this important information to two people in the academy. “Nearly disclosed an important information to her.”

“Well, I’m sure she didn’t catch that. Your mind is almost impenetrable, anyway.”

Rolling her eyes, Kahi stopped to look at the man beside her. “Says the person who never mastered the art of mind reading.”

“I don’t have to know mind reading to know that you’re one tough cookie to crack.” Kangta grinned, and for a few seconds, Kahi could feel herself softening. This was, after all, the same man she had once fell for, over this exact trait he was showing to her, too.

Before Kahi could say something witty in return, rushed footsteps were heard. Both of them turned around in reflex, and spotted the younger teacher rushing towards them from the other end of the corridor. “There you are!”

“What’s wrong, Boa?” Kangta asked in full concern over the expression masked on the younger teacher’s face. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, it’s not me you should be worry about.” Though breathless, Boa managed to string a prop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter