1.13

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously on Lux Indeficiens:  The students of Aeradias Academy visit Eleutherius Heim, where Sooyoung meets Siwon and Donghae again. Disguised as an educational trip, Deputy Headmistress Park Kahi visits the Headmaster of Eleutherius Heim under orders from her headmistress to deliver a confidential letter.

 

--

Chapter Thirteen.

--

 

“—and that’s the school’s dining room, unlike Aeradias, we dine together like one big family.”

Yoona snorted at the sarcasm behind that sentence while Donghae merely grinned. Twenty minutes into the touring, the trio have managed to find their respective spots beside the two Eleutherius boys acting as their tour guides that day. Not wanting to seem overly intrigued, Yoona tried to act as nonchalant as possible whenever Donghae pointed at a certain landmark or place. Even when he briefly explained the significance and importance of a particular area, Yoona tried her hardest not to show the awe piling in her heart as more and more parts of Eleutherius Heim are revealed.

 

“Well, it’s a pity that Eleutherius does not have a proper garden though.” She said haughtily when their group reached the exterior of the school and nothing is seen but more bricked walls and stoned pathways. In comparison to the exterior of Aeradias Academy which is surrounded by blossoming colourful flowers that peek from growing shrubs, the exterior of Eleutherius Heim seem rather dull and gloomy.

“Ah, we male students do not really have the interest to care for plants like you females do,” Donghae responded briskly. “Plus, all free time goes to polishing our physical fighting skills.”

Yoona narrowed her eyes. “That’s a rather ist remark to make. What about those guys who like gardening? What do they do, then?”

Donghae laughed loudly, gesturing the group of girls forward. “That is where I am bringing you to next—the greenhouse!”

 

Yoona’s face fell just as Donghae threw a smirk in her direction. “Yes, we do have a greenhouse here in Eleutherius Heim. In fact, we have two. One in the North Wing and another in the South Wing. We do contribute to decreasing global warming, you know.”

“Unbelievable.” Yoona said beneath her breath, her arms crossed together in frustration.

“Anything for planet Earth!” Donghae whistled from a distance, the other girls following him closely behind. Yoona rolled her eyes at his remark (and at the swarm of girls behind him).

 

While Donghae and Yoona were having their subtle verbal war, Siwon and Sooyoung were separated in a small distance from the group. In that twenty minutes of bringing them around his school, Siwon had made small conversations with Sooyoung every now and then, hoping to learn more about the Aeradian.

He had unfortunately, made the mistake of asking Sooyoung what her ability is. Immediately, Siwon could sense how the brunette beside him became flustered. It took her longer than usual to answer the question he thought should be as simple as one plus one, and when she finally did, Siwon could understand why it was difficult for her.

 

“So, you don’t really…” He stopped himself from asking, afraid to offend his new friend.

Sooyoung shook her head, but gave him a smile in assurance that she was fine. “No. I’m supposed to be an empath, but I don’t really know now. I projected the abilities of combustion and telekinesis once, but again, I cannot be too sure of it.”

“Hmm,” Siwon scratched his head once, equally as blank as the female beside him. “That’s…rather odd, to be honest.”

“Trust me, I know.” Sooyoung replied, her eyes landed on the greenhouse which just came into view. “Nice greenhouse you got there,” She added, impressed.

 

“I don’t really get along with plants, unfortunately.” Siwon suppressed a laugh as he watches how his best friend is busy explaining the history of the greenhouse located in the North Wing. “If you want to hear all those information Donghae is saying, you can…er…” He stopped himself midsentence, unable to string a proper sentence together. Honestly speaking, Siwon secretly hopes that his companion would continue speaking to him, rather than join the rest of the crowd with Donghae.

 

“Oh no, it’s okay. Facts bore me out.” Sooyoung said with a smile, and Siwon brightens up immediately at her response.

“Me too! I’m really more of a practical person.”

Sooyoung laughed. She wished she could say ‘yes, me too’, but unfortunately, she couldn’t.

“You said your ability is super strength, right?”

Siwon nodded. “It’s my father’s ability too.”

 

Sooyoung watches her fellow classmates entering the greenhouse with Yoona and Seohyun following behind the group. She stay rooted on the ground.

“How about your mom? What’s her ability?” Sooyoung asked, intrigued to know more of Siwon’s background. Learning about people’s background in terms of ability has been Sooyoung’s primary subject to ask ever since she stepped into Aeradias Academy. It is interesting to know the different abilities everyone possessed, whether they’ve inherited their ability from their father or mother, or if they came from a family with only a single parent as an ability carrier, if they share the same ability as their siblings…

 

“My mom…” Siwon’s expression changed, though he fought to keep the smile on his face. “She could manipulate dreams.”

Sooyoung looked at Siwon immediately, unsure if she has heard correctly or not. “Could?”

Siwon nodded glumly, much to the brunette’s dismay. “My mom lost her ability three years after I was born. Something about being involved in a war…”

“W-war?” Eyes widening, Sooyoung could only but stare at the young man beside her.

 

Siwon nodded again. “My mom was an Aeradias student too. When the war broke out, she returned to help, but ever since then, she could not project her ability anymore.”

“What war are you talking about, Siwon-sshi?” Sooyoung couldn’t help but ask, realizing that she knew nothing about this “war” her friend was telling her about. The mention of this “war” made her uneasy though, as if her inner self is telling her that this war had something to do with…

A lump began to form on .

“Oh, sorry. I forgot you’re only in your first year, so you probably haven’t learn about it yet.” Siwon apologized quickly. “The war I was referring to is The First Volksraad War with the Magical Alliance. I guess you probably haven’t learn about Volksraad too, right? Volksraad is a group of anti—”

But Sooyoung did not want to know about Volksraad. She swallowed the lump latched in and looked up to meet Siwon’s gaze, immediately interrupting him in his explanation. “Siwon-sshi, when did this war happened?”

 

It can’t be…don’t tell me…

“Sixteen years ago.”

 

The second she heard that, Sooyoung could feel tears welling up. She turned away hastily.

Sixteen years ago.

That was when her mother passed away.

 

--

 

After spending the whole day in Eleutherius Heim, it was time for the Aeradias females to return to their abode.

Although they’ve spent the day bickering in a subtle manner, Donghae and Yoona exchanged their goodbyes politely, the former adding that when he visits Aeradias next time, he hopes that Yoona would be his personal tour guide. And you better do a darn good job like I did today, his words ring in Yoona’s mind as she shook her head rapidly in hopes to get him out of her mind.

 

She then sauntered away with Seohyun in tow to join the crowd of Aeradians by the main entrance, turning behind to look at her other frien

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter