Part Two // 2.1

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part Two; Chapter One

--

 

News broke out almost immediately that the former No-Star has finally been awarded the Two-Star ranking. With such a huge leap in her star ranking, it was no surprise that even the seniors of Aeradias Academy has heard of what has happened; some with positive things to say whereas some others were coated with negativity.

 

“Did you see her last night? She was aiding Jessica Jung in preventing the fire from spreading. It was rather impressive, if you ask me.” 

“But don’t you think it’s rather suspicious that from someone with no ability whatsoever, that first year managed to actually unleash such a power so suddenly?”

“Oh come on, why not? It takes time for people to realize their potential. What’s wrong with having a strong start?”

"It's just...too good to be true."

 

Despite the gossips spreading in the school about her, Sooyoung’s batchmates were at the very least, excited on her behalf. When Sooyoung had appeared at the doorway of their classroom, most of them leapt up from their seats to surround the brunette, all curious about the conversation she has shared with the headmistress. Sooyoung had not fully recover from the sudden news thrown upon her that she was finally awarded a proper star ranking, so when her batchmates decided to throw multiple questions into her direction, she merely kept mum.

 

“Sooyoung, you have to tell us what happened last night!”

“Yeah, what did you do? Is it true that you froze the ground? Does that mean you’re a cyrokinetic user?”

“Do you know that Jessica-sunbae is the headmistress’ granddaughter?”

“Sooyoung what is—”

“Sooyoung, are you okay?”

 

“I…” Overwhelmed with the sudden questions and attention, Sooyoung forced herself to smile before edging away from the circle formed around her. “I need to sit down.” 

 

“But what is your ability, Sooyoung?”

 

That question has always been one that Sooyoung has dreaded most since the first day she came to Aeradias, and even when she was finally revealed of her own ability, Sooyoung still found that question to be dreadful. She could not bring herself to reveal her ability to her curious classmates. “I’m not sure if I’m allowed to tell…” She half squeaked the answer out, not knowing what else to say. Even when she stole glances at Yoona and Seohyun, pleading for them to help her, her two best friends didn’t know what to say or do as well.

 

“But why can’t you tell us what your ability is, Sooyoung?” Goo Hara asked, half whining, half frustrated that her classmate would not say anything about her visit to the Headmistress’ office. “You’ve been here a few months without knowing what your ability is, and now that you finally do know it, you cannot share it with us?”

 

“Guys, enough, can’t you see that Sooyoung isn’t comfortable with answering this question yet?” Yoona finally spoke, coming to her friend’s rescue as she squeezed herself into the spot beside Sooyoung’s seat. 

“But that’s what makes us curious, Yoona.” Another girl piped up. “The fact that she’s staying quiet is killing us. It’s making us think that this isn’t as simple as it seems to be.”

 

Sooyoung sighed inwardly. It really isn’t as simple as you guys think so.

 

“Are you implying that something is wrong with Sooyoung?” Yoona crossed her arms together with a huff. “Don’t insult my friend, Hyeri.”

“As if she’s not ours,” Hyeri scoffed. “We were simply curious. If Sooyoung’s really that dead set in not telling us her ability, surely she’s keeping something from us?”

 

Sooyoung didn’t know what was more offensive, the fact that her friends were speaking about her as though she’s not directly in front of them, or that the words Hyeri used had implications behind them which she clearly understood. Even Yoona’s eyes widened at that, shocked that her classmate would ever suggest such a thing. “Hyeri!”

Sooyoung knew that Hyeri was accusing her of having an illegitimate ability, something which they’ve learned in Kahi’s class before, that the ability acquired by an individual was not inherited, but possessed by using dark magic. In simpler terms; abilities acquired unlawfully.

 

“What? I’m just saying.” Hyeri shrugged, though she did look a bit apologetic for the slip in tongue. “No offense, Sooyoung.”

“None taken.” Sooyoung replied simply. “But I can assure you that my ability is inherited. At least, from my father’s side.”

 

Her classmates seem relieved at that answer. “So does that mean that you’re not an empath?”

“Er,” Sooyoung hesitated. “Not really.”

“Not really? What does that mean?”

“Are you saying you’re an empath but not really an empath?”

“Stupid, she just said she inherited her ability from her father.”

“But she didn’t deny that she isn’t an empath!”

 

Sooyoung groaned as her classmates began to argue. She looked helplessly at both her best friends, mouthing that she would explain everything to them in their room. Yoona and Seohyun merely nodded and said nothing more. They tried to calm their other friends down, but the first years were already too deep in their heated argument to care.

 

It took the presence of a teacher—BoA, to finally settle the ruckus going on in the first year’s classroom. When she appeared in her usual manner, BoA was surprised to find everyone crowding around Sooyoung’s radius, arguing loudly over what seem to be Sooyoung’s ability. “Excuse me, students? Please get back to your seats!” She had to repeat a few times, because no one was paying any attention to her.

Five minutes later, when everyone had finally settled down, BoA cleared and gave a short lecture about respecting the privacy of another person. Grateful, Sooyoung gave the teacher in front a smile of appreciation. She received a nod in return.

 

Today is going to be a long day, Sooyoung sighed.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter