1.15

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 Chapter Fifteen

--

 

It was an hour later, once everyone has properly settled down back in their respective, unharmed dormitories, that Yunho and Jessica left the infirmary to see their grandmother.

When they entered, Kangta and Kahi were already there in their seats. Headmistress Jung was relieved that both her grandchildren were unharmed, gesturing them forward as she heaved a sigh. “Now, will one of you please tell us what happened from the beginning?”

 

Jessica was the one who spoke first. “I was minding my own business in my room when I suddenly felt a tremendous wave of heat. Taeyeon and Tiffany noticed it too, so they decided to open our room’s window for fresh air.”

“It was then that we caught sight of the burning North Tower. We alerted the rest on our floor before moving down to alert the other juniors. By then, the seniors from the top floors were already rushing down.”

 

Jessica then glanced at her cousin, knowing that he wanted to add on to her account of what has happened.

 

“As the teacher’s quarters were located in the south area, it took some time before we realized what was happening.” Yunho took over, crossing his arms together. Kangta and Kahi nodded solemnly, recalling the moment when they’ve caught wind of the screams in the air. They had rushed to alert the headmistress, along with BoA who had the ability to bring the headmistress back.

 

“The other teachers ushered the younger students into a safer area while I went to inspect the North Tower. Jessica was already there when I arrived.”

 

“And Sooyoung?”

 

“She came after a while, offering to help and saying that the other students were bringing buckets of water as well.”

 

Headmistress Jung nodded, listening attentively. “And then?”

 

“Sooyoung helped us with her ability of telekinesis for a while, and that was when it happened.” Jessica frowned, remembering the moment when she conjured ice out of thin air. “I could suddenly project ice.”

 

Kangta and Kahi exchanged looks with each other, eyebrows knitted together as they kept quiet. As she gazed at the quiet headmistress as well, Jessica ran a hand through her hair in frustration. “Clearly, that shouldn’t be possible, I’m a water elementalist.”

 

Headmistress Jung nodded once. “That is right. You inherited your father’s ability while your sister inherited mine and your mother’s.”

 

“But the strangest thing isn’t projecting ice, grandmother.” Jessica could still feel herself trembling from the earlier incident. “I lost my ability after that. It was frightening.”

 

Yunho nodded. “I can testify to that. After Jessica froze the flames, she could suddenly produce ice out of thin air. But following that, Jessica suddenly lost her ability to do both controlling water and projecting ice.”

 

Headmistress Jung listened intently before gesturing at the aquarium in the corner of her office. “If you may please…”

 

Jessica understood her grandmother’s instructions immediately, heart skipping a beat as she made her way towards the aquarium. Knowing that all eyes were on her, she took a deep breath before pointing a finger at the opened surface of the tank. Moving her finger in a circular motion, Jessica watched how the water swirled slightly, though not in the speed she would have expected. She frowned, looking back at her grandmother.

 

“It’s still unstable, my ability.”

“Do you know when it came back?”

“Around twenty minutes after Miss Jungah’s treatment.”

 

“It will be fine, Jessica. Don’t worry.” Headmistress Jung assured her granddaughter before another lapse of silence overlapped them. It was a few minutes later when she spoke again.  “When I arrived at the scene, the ground was frozen solid.”

 

Yunho and Jessica exchanged a glance, hesitating. Jessica turned to look at her grandmother slowly. “I didn’t do that. It wasn’t me. By then, I no longer have any ability.”

 

“I know.” Headmistress Jung nodded as she leaned forward, hands clasped together.. “It wasn’t you who froze the ground. It was Sooyoung.”

 

No one in the room was particularly surprised to hear that. Even Jessica merely frowned, but did not openly disagree. Her eyes didn’t deceive her, obviously.

 

“I thought so too,” Yunho said slowly, looking at the quiet Deputy Headmistress and then towards the senior teacher. Both of them had blank expressions on their faces. “The ice started spreading around her. That wouldn’t be possible if she wasn’t the one who started it.”

 

Jessica shrugged, still frowning. “I thought she was a telekinetic user?”

 

“It was only an assumption, because Kangta saw her using telekinesis. She was unaware of it.” Kahi finally spoke, crossing her arms together. “And from the look of it this time, Sooyoung had been unaware of this as well.”

 

Yunho nodded.  “Yes, she was equally shocked. Something tells me that Sooyoung isn’t just a telekinetic user.”

 

“You’re right. I know what Sooyoung’s ability is.”

 

Everyone in the room turned abruptly to look at the headmistress, anticipating for her to continue her sentence. “I’ve had suspicions, and today’s incident proved my theory to be right.”

 

As everyone urged for her to finish her sentence, Mrs. Jung merely smiled.

 

--

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter