1.10

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Ten

 

--

 

It was a Sunday when the First Years were brought to the Central Park for the first time. As excited as they could be, they were cautiously reminded by BoA not to misuse or reveal their abilities in public. After all, not everyone in the Central Park is an ability carrier, and revealing their specialities in such a public place would not bring them any good.

The girls were chattering in excitement, having heard that the Central Park is one of the most beautiful waterfront mall located near their Academy. They were briefed by BoA beforehand that the Central Park is the Academy’s prominent supplier for magical supplies, and if searched carefully, the students would be able to identify which stores are owned by the Ability Carriers, and which not. To make it more convenient for the gullible and naïve First Years, BoA had given each of them a map to guide them throughout their trip that day.

“Please note that the trip today is to expose all of you to the Central Park. It is important that you know where to get your required needs, as Central Park is the only place within our range thus far where you can get both your human and your magical supplies.” BoA said, facing the fifty First Years in the hallway. “Do not get yourself in trouble, and do not in any way, alert the Nons of your specialities. Remember to treat them all as equals.”

Just then, Yunho descended the stairs and made his way towards the petite teacher in front. He flashed a smile at the students, and Sooyoung swore she heard them swoon—as always. “Yunho will be joining us today for the trip. Are there any questions?”

And as usual, the only person in the group who had questions raised her hand immediately.

“Yes, Joohyun?” BoA nodded at the First Year’s direction, not at all surprised to see her hand waving in the air.

“Songsaengnim, I was just curious,” Seohyun began and Yoona fought the urge to scoff at her best friend, “How are we going to the Central Park?”

“Always the curious one,” Yunho smiled and offered to answer her question, “We’re going by teleportation.”

Murmurs filled the air again, some of them turned wide-eyed, some with bright grins—excitement, nervousness, curiosity—Sooyoung could feel it in the air. Yoona nudged her and whispered, “This is going to be so fun!”

Fun? Sooyoung gulped nervously, a bead of sweat rolling down her temple, how on earth is this going to be fun? She shuffled her feet in anxiety, wondering if it was alright to lie to the two teachers in front saying she was too ill for this trip…

“Don’t worry,” BoA quickly added, elbowing Yunho’s ribs and giving him an eye of thanks, mr-direct, for making them freak out, “I can assure you that you won’t feel a thing while teleporting.”

Yunho snorted. This time, BoA did not spare him from a real jab to his side.

“Okay, so maybe you’ll feel a slight tingling sensation when you teleport—“

“And a feeling of wanting to throw up,” Yunho muttered under his breath so that only the teacher standing beside him could hear. She ignored him.

“—and you may have a slight headache afterwards, when you’ve landed, but rest assured—“

“Slight headache? More like a throbbing of pain which would last forever,”

“—that the teleportation stone is safe to use, and that it is the fastest way to reach your required destination. Don’t worry, the stone has been enchanted to a default destination, the Central Park, by yours truly—“

“Show off.”

BoA threw a glare at the young man beside her, who, in her annoyance, was now grinning from ear to ear. “It may feel a little weird at the beginning, but don’t think of it too much and you’ll be fine! Now, palms up, everyone!”

 

The First Years did as instructed, one hand outstretched and its palm facing the ceiling. Within seconds, white swirls began to appear around their hands, circulating from fingers to fingers before a smooth, grey pebble landed on their opened palms with a soft thud.

Awed, Sooyoung caressed the pebble with her thumb and marvelled at how this tiny, normal looking object had magical quality embedded in its core. “Songsaengnim, do you have to use this pe—stone, too?” She couldn’t help but to ask, and received a warm smile in return. “No, I don’t have to, since I’m a teleportation-carrier.”

“Another fun fact, if I may add, is that the teleportation stones originated from carriers with the teleportation ability. The first of my ancestors came up with this idea by putting some of her magical essence into a plain stone,” A ripple of ohhs and ahhs began to fill the hall again. “Creating therefore, the teleportation stone you hold in your hands today. Just a little drop of our magical essence is enough for a two-way ticket to your required destination and back to your original destination.”

BoA clasped her hands together and, as brightly as she could, began to teach them the correct way of using the teleportation stones. “It’s simple. Just hold the stone in both hands, close your eyes and think of only the destination in your mind.” She glanced at the teacher beside her, “Yunho, show them, and wait for them in the Central Park. Please.” She added with a smile and Yunho nodded politely. “Your wish is my command.”

Clasping his hands together, he glanced at the First Years looking at him attentively, before closing his eyes.

“Now, Yunho-nim will say out loud, the destination he wants to go to.” BoA gestured at Yunho, who took it as a cue to clear his throat and say; “Central Park.”

Sooyoung watched the male teacher as careful and attentive as she could, not wanting to even blink in case she missed it. As predicted, swirls of white light began to circle around Yunho, and within three seconds, the space he stood was then replaced with nothing but air.

“That is so cool!” Yoona gasped in awe, glancing at the stone in her hand eagerly.

“See? It’s really simple. No magic is required, so you don’t have to worry at all.” BoA smiled again, and gestured the girls to cover the stones with their both hands. “Besides, the stone has been enchanted with Central Park as its destination, so even if you mumble the place wrongly out of nervousness—“ She chuckled, and at the same time, Sooyoung noticed how Yoona fought a laugh coming from . “What is it?” She whispered, but the latter whispered back in haste, “I’ll tell you later.”

“—you won’t end up in a strange place. So yes, teleport away, little ones!”

A lump began to form in Sooyoung’s throat as she watched how her batchmates disappeared one by one. Shaking her thoughts away, she clasped the stone between her hands tightly and closed her eyes. She inhaled and exhaled slowly, calming her thoughts so that only her destination remains in her mind.

Then, she breathed out (or maybe yelled a little bit too loud), “Central Park.”

 

--

 

When Sooyoung opened her eyes, she found herself seated on the floor. Clutching her (heavy) head, she could feel the ache on her , her eyes stinging in pain as she fought the urge to close her eyes again. She looked around, head still spinning and throbbing, and noticed that her batchmates were in the same predicament as her. Lots of what the hell were filling the air as Sooyoung then realized that someone was lying on her legs.

“I-I take back what I said about it being cool,” Yoona groaned, her hands covering her face as she rolled away from Sooyoung’s legs. “God, I want to throw up—“

From a distance, Sooyoung could hear music playing in the background. Massaging her temples, she glanced to the only two beings standing—Yunho and BoA—and forced herself to scramble to her feet. It took her several seconds to balance herself completely on her two feet, reaching tentatively for anything which could hold her in position. Seohyun followed suit, a tight smile on her lips as Sooyoung noted the paleness of her face. Now that Yoona has mentioned it, she felt like throwing up too…

“That wasn’t so bad, right?” She could hear BoA saying, “A little motion sickness is a must, of course—”

“Told you we should use the bus.” Yunho interjected, and BoA glared at him again. “Well, I figured we could save time and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter