1.11

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

note, i updated last week as well, in case anyone hasn't read the precious chapter yet. :)

--

Chapter Eleven

--

 

“Okay, I have an idea,”

It has almost been a month Sooyoung stepped into Aeradias Academy, almost two weeks—10 hours—worth of extra lessons taught by Kangta in hope to unleash her hidden ability, yet there has been no definite success whatsoever in those 10 hours of extra special lessons.

Today, Kangta was pacing to and fro, a dejected-looking Sooyoung watching him from the center of the room. She was tired. He was tired. They were both tired from all the futile attempts in understanding the ability Sooyoung was supposed to possess.

And frankly speaking, Sooyoung was on the verge of giving up.

 

In two more days, a new month would arrive and by now, Sooyounghas observed and realized the improvements of her many batch-mates. Yoona, who initially could not control who or when she can target to mind read, could already do just that, though not perfectly, but she was already getting there. Seohyun, whose ability is of passiveness, was a bit of a trouble in the beginning, but even so, with the aid of the Deputy Headmistress, even she has had more control of her clairvoyant ability in this one month of schooling in the academy.

They were both showing tremendous improvements, yet Sooyoung was nowhere near any of their achievements.

 

“Kangta-songsaengnim,” She sighed. “This is hopeless.”

“No, it isn’t. Don’t give me that look. I have an idea which may just get your ability in gear.” After so many days of frowns and the many mutters of I don’t understand, Kangta finally has a look of optimism etched on his face. “There’s still another method we haven’t done, yet. And we shall do so today.”

 

“What’s the—hey!” Sooyoung ducked as a book sailed past her head without warning, narrowly missing her by an inch. She refrained herself from using profanities, her hands flew to clutch her beating chest. “Whatever was that for,” She cried, and then realizing that the man in front of her was a teacher, she quickly added, “…songsaengnim?”

 

“By using fear.”

Her eyes widen in surprise. “F-fear?”

“You see,” Kangta began to explain. “Our abilities are channelled in accordance to our emotions. As an empath, you, of all people, should know that.”

 

Sooyoung’s heart was still sprinting an extra mile, and she inhaled and exhaled slowly. It may just be a book, but getting her face hit by big, fat and thick History 101 was not something she ever look forward to experiencing. “But I may not be an empath,”

Kangta dismissed her answer immediately. “Sooyoung, there will be times when we cannot unleash our abilities. This is due to the fact that we are emotionally unbalanced, and because of that, we find ourselves in situation where we cannot perform as well as we normally do.”

“You mean like, if we’re under a huge amount of stress and we can’t focus on our jobs or studies well?” Sooyoung raised an eyebrow, and Kangta shrugged again. “Yeah, something like that.”

 

“But, there are also situations where you can find yourself in better control of your ability. One of them being when you’re in a situation of fear.”

The brunette gulped nervously. “And why is that so, songsaengnim?”

“Because you don’t want to get hurt. Because you want to live.” Kangta simply stated and gave a small smile. “When you’re in such a situation, you’d do everything you can to protect yourself, yes?”

 

Sooyoung nodded her head, finally understanding where her teacher was heading at.

 

“Hence why, today, I’d be doing exactly that.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widen again as she realized that a few objects were floating in the air. She knew immediately that it was Kangta’s doing as he is a telekinetic user. “W-wait—”

 

“If you don’t want to get bruises, repeat what you have done two weeks back in this same room with Kahi.”

“B-but what if I can’t—“

“Believe in yourself, Choi Sooyoung!”

 

And then the objects began to sail past the room, all three headed in the direction of the teenager. She watched how the objects—a desk clock, another book and a table lamp—began to pick up speed, and she did the first thing she could think of; jumping away from her position.

Only that, Kangta wasn’t amused, and the objects still hang mid-air. He did not hesitate to flick his wrist to the position where the brunette now stood, alarming her again as she stumbled out of the way in quick reflex. “Stop!”

Pulse rising, Sooyoung knew that Kangta would not stop until she at least tried. If she kept leaping out of the way to avoid the flying objects, when would she ever be able to unleash her ability, if she had any?

She jumped backwards as the objects flew past her again, this time, the desk clock effectively knocked her on the back of her head. “Ow! Must you use so much force?” She cried, not having enough time to even tend to her throbbing head as Sooyoung focused on the other two objects zooming across the room.

Her hands trembled when she raised both and aimed at the two objects now flying in circles above her. She could feel her heart racing even faster now as she stole a glance at the teacher in front, wondering what his next move would be.

 

There are a few possibilities Kangta-nim could do, Sooyoung deduced, heart still racing as her eyes travelled back and forth at the two flying objects. One, she thought, he could drop either objects on her head—she gazed at the table lamp worriedly. Two, her mind was spurting in haste, he could direct either objects straight into her face or body at full speed. Three, Sooyoung took a step back again and gulped, he could do both at the same time.

“Wrong. All wrong, Sooyoung.”

The brunette’s eyes widen as her head snapped up to meet the hard gaze Kangta was giving her. A shiver of sudden cold rushed through her skin, goosebumps riding her arms as she blenched and struggled to regain her composure. Did he just read my mind?

“Every experienced ability carriers have the ability to read minds.” He continued flatly, as if it is the most obvious fact in the world. Just then, Sooyoung noticed several other objects flying out from their original places. “I’m sorry, Sooyoung-sshi. You may need to visit Jungah after this.”

Frozen on her spot, Sooyoung was now staring at not one, not three, not five objects floating mid-air, but eleven—all ready to be aimed at her. Defeated, a lump began to form on as Sooyoung lowered her trembling hands.

 

“If you give in so easily without even fighting, without even trying, how are you worthy to be Saeyoung’s daughter?”

 

Her hands halted mid-way down as the words rang in the air. Before this, she had noted, Kangta was giving her a look of clear expectation and trust, but now, all Sooyoung saw in her senior teacher was an expression of doubt and confusion mashed together.

And then it hits her harshly, like a wave crashing against rocks—Kangta was doubting if she was the daughter of her mother, or if she was truly the granddaughter of her grandmother.

The fear of getting hit by the objects were nothing compared to the fear of disappointment Sooyoung was beginning to feel about herself; for being a coward, for being someone who so easily gives up. The fear of not being acknowledged as a member of the Choi family—of being a daughter of someone as great and brilliant as her mother, the fear of not living up to her family name.

 

She shook her head. Her gaze hardened.

This was not how a Choi should behave.

Kangta shook his head as well, and closed his eyes. With one precise movement, he flicked his wrist.

“No.”

 

The sound of objects colliding with one another agains

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter