1.4

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four

---

 

“Miss Seo Joohyun?” The teacher named Kwon BoA asked in confirmation, and Seohyun nodded her head nervously. She walked slowly towards the center of the hall as gestured, and held her breath. She looked at the three teachers seated in front of her in a row and her eyes quickly looked away as she met the gaze of the headmistress.

 

“What is your ability?” The opulent teacher from yesterday asked.

“P-premonition…” Seohyun stuttered and wished the ground would just open up and swallow her whole. “I-I can see the…future…”

 

“I know what premonition is,” The same teacher responded with no hint of kindness in her tone and this made Seohyun even more nervous. “Another passive ability carrier.” The teacher continued, aiming the sentence she had uttered towards the man beside her.

 

“Well, we can ask her to see the future for us.” He responded, casting a look at the headmistress in the middle and waiting for her approval. The headmistress nodded without saying anything.

 

“Joohyun-sshi,” BoA called out kindly upon receiving the approval nods from the panel of teachers. “Would it be alright if you show us your ability by predicting the future of anyone or anything here?”

 

Seohyun gulped again but nodded her head slowly. She closed her eyes slowly, emptying her mind as she furrowed her eyebrows in concentration. A faint image flashed across her eyes, but not long enough for her to conclude a clear prediction. Seohyun closed her eyes again and took deep breaths slowly; focusing more on reading the future of whatever it is that she had briefly seen.

 

The teachers held their breaths, waiting for the student in front of them to say something. Seohyun’s head jerked up suddenly, and her eyes fluttered open immediately. The scared expression she had earlier was replaced with a more confident one, and Seohyun casted her eyes on the row of bookshelves by the side.

 

“One of the bookshelves,” She said, pointing a finger at the row of fancy looking shelves. “—will explode.” She curtly said, repeating what she had seen in her mind. Indeed in her mind, she saw the bursting of the shelf rather suddenly, and she herself wondered what would have triggered that.

 

The male and female teachers seated looked at the shelf Seohyun pointed, a hint of curiosity on their faces. BoA looked from her position, smiling slightly at the success of the student’s ability projection.

 

“When will that happen?” The male teacher asked.

Seohyun went back to her usual timid self, her voice quivering as she answered the question he had asked. “I don’t know, sir.”

Ahn Kangta raised his brow, but maintained a calm composure. “You don't know?”

 

“I don’t have full control of my ability, all this while I’ve never really known when the event of what I’ve seen would take place. It isn’t told in my mind.” Seohyun explained quickly, her heart sinking as she could see the not-so-amused face on the Deputy Headmistress.

 

“Well, we just need to observe when that bookshelf will blow up then,” The headmistress spoke finally, alarming the teenager as she weakly smiled.

 

“Give us a minute to discuss your Star Ranking,” Kangta said and turned around to face the other two teachers. They whispered, and after what felt like eternity for Seohyun, Kangta faced her again.

 

“Seo Joohyun,” He beckoned her forward and she did, slowly. “Your Star Ranking is—“ Kangta reached his hands out and beckoned Seohyun to do the same. He dropped something in her palm and gave a slight smile. “—One star.”

 

Seohyun mentally sighed as she bowed her head in acceptance to the ranking she had achieved. She gripped onto the star in her hand and smiled. To her, it didn’t matter much what ranking she got, all she wanted was to exit the room as soon as possible. She wasn’t disappointed with what she was given, for she had already known that 60% of the students in Aeradias were all One Star-ers. If she wanted to increase her ranking in the future, she could always depend on her Academics since there would be a re-evaluation after the mid terms’ examination.

 

She left the room hurriedly and was immediately greeted by Yoona and Sooyoung. “Well?” Yoona asked, excited. Seohyun opened her palm in response, smiling. “One star.”

 

Yoona and Sooyoung both congratulated their friend, but not for long as Yoona felt her body turning into jelly when she heard her name being called out.

 

“Good luck!” Seohyun said and Sooyoung nodded, giving an assuring smile at her. “Hwaiting!”

 

Yoona calmed herself down, combed her hair with her fingers and gave two thumbs up at her friends. Putting on a smile, she then entered the room for her evaluation.

 

--

 

“Im Yoona?” BoA asked, and Yoona nodded as she made her way towards the center.

 

“Yoona, what is your ability?” Kahi asked, slightly amused with the little beauty in front of her. “What a pretty girl,’ She thought to herself and could suddenly see Yoona smiling.

 

“Thank you, songsaengnim.” Yoona said, still smiling. The other teachers raised their brow in confusion.

“Sorry?” Kahi asked, shocked. “I asked you for your ability, but you thanked me instead, why?”

Yoona’s smile faded slightly. “You said I was pretty, so the ‘thank you’ just came out automatically. Sorry, songsaengnim.”

“I did?” Kahi raised her brow.

“She did?”  Kangta asked at the same time, surprised.

 

Yoona felt her heart thumped against her chest in an irregular beat. “I…er…I’m a—“

 

“Telepath, aren’t you? But she—“ The headmistress said nonchalantly, and Yoona nodded her head furiously.

 

“Yes, yes, I’m a telepath, I can read minds.” Yoona immediately added and slapped a hand over after that, realizing she had just rudely interrupted what the headmistress was going to say. The headmistress didn't seem to mind though, much to her relief.

 

“Oh,” Kahi softly said. “I see. Of course.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter