1.3

Lux Indeficiens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Three

 

---

 

 

 “What’s a Star Ranking?” Sooyoung bluntly asked her new found friend slash roommate, the gorgeous yet boisterous Im Yoona. They were unpacking their luggage and engaging in various random conversations and by the time the luggage was empty, both Choi Sooyoung and Im Yoona were already self proclaimed best friends.

 

“My mother told me that it’s a system created by Aeradias to boast the students’ determination to improve and be a better student.” Yoona explained, scratching her chin as she continued talking. “The highest ranking, the Special Star, is awarded to the student with the most extraordinary academics’ achievement and the ability she or he possesses. I heard that students with the Special Star ranking get higher monthly allowance, and they have better facilities too, like a larger room for example.”

 

Sooyoung frowned. “But why are they going to rank us tomorrow itself? We just got here, so how are we to show our academic achievements?”

 

“Well, I’m not quite sure, really. All I know is that we’ll be judged according to our ability tomorrow.” Yoona said with a shrug, casting a look at their other reserved roommate who was reading a book. “Joohyun, what is your ability?”

 

Seo Joohyun, the third roommate of room A012 glanced up from her book. “Premonition.” She curtly replied before returning to the book she had in hands. Sooyoung and Yoona exchanged glances but said nothing. “Oh, Sooyoung, you haven’t told me what your ability is!”

 

Sooyoung shifted uncomfortably on her bed. “Umm, well…I guess…empathy?”

 

Yoona raised a brow. “You guess?”

 

“Actually, I’m not very sure of my own ability. That is why I’m here; to discover more about the said ability I have in me.” Sooyoung confessed. “My grandmother and mother’s ability is empathy though.”

 

“Oh,” Yoona’s mouth turned into a tiny ‘o’ shape. “I see. Then you’d probably be an empath as well then, considering how abilities are usually inherited.”

 

“You said you’re a mind reader right?”

“Well yes, a telepath.”

“So…can you read my mind now?”

“Uhh, yes, if I want to. I usually need to concentrate though and it takes a while. It drains up my energy whilst concentrating so I usually avoid using it unless absolute necessary.”

 

Sooyoung nodded her head in understanding. “I still have to get used to being around magical people…I mean, I’ve only recently been told I was one, so you can just imagine how shocked I was when my grandmother told me such things actually exist.”

 

“Ah, I was told by my mother a year ago when she discovered I was using my ability without realizing. It was really hilarious though since she could read my mind as well, so it was basically she reading my mind of me reading her mind.” Yoona chuckled. “You get it right? Me reading my mother’s mind while she was reading me reading her mind—“


Seohyun couldn’t help but chuckled, before looking at them with an apologetic smile. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to eavesdrop. It’s just that you guys were talking—“

 

“Ah Joohyun, stop being so formal!” Sooyoung said with a smile as well.

 

“Say, the teacher earlier who appeared on stage so suddenly, her ability is teleportation right?” Yoona asked, suddenly recalling the event that happened two hours ago. “I’ve always wanted to try teleporting. Do you think that teacher would mind taking me to a trip with her next time she decides to teleport?”

 

Seohyun chuckled. “I heard she’s very nice. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.”

 

“Hey, if we’re done packing, let’s go explore the Academy now!” Yoona exclaimed excitedly, reaching for the map on her study desk. “I’m dying to see the classrooms and the dining room for first years!”

 

Seohyun sets her book aside and reached for her map as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter