Chapter Nine

Resistance is futile

'And, my lord?' Yesung asked as he slightly bowed his head.

Hyuk's eyes were on the collar.

Hae just looked away. He hadn't resisted when that blacksmith had put it around his neck. It fit perfectly, not too tight, he could breathe without difficulty. He had no clue what the king was planning for him but frankly he felt he deserved it after his murder attempt.

Hyuk yanked the chain and Hae just jerked forward and fell upon his knees. 'Perfect.' Hyuk said lowly. 'How do I activate the shock?'

Yesung handed him a remote control hidden in a ring. 'Want to try?'

'No.' Hyuk said curtly as he took the little jewel and fitted it on his finger. 'You may leave, job well done, you'll be rewarded by my first advisor.'

Yesung left the room after a deep bow.

Hae was still on his knees.

Hyuk just scoffed at him, made sure the boy's chain was attached to the wall before he left.

 

'Don't look at me like that Sungmin or you can take your leave.' Hyuk said during lunch.

'I just can't believe you went through with it. I've been to your room, that poor boy...'

'That poor boy tried to kill me!' Hyuk yelled.

Sungmin inhaled and tried to calm down. 'Hyuk...'

'Discussion closed!'

'Fine, then tell me where Prince Kyuhyun is?'

'He took Kangin and that mute kid and left.'

'He left his cousin at your mercy?' Min asked in disbelief.

'Oh I'm sure the prince will be back, he's smart enough to get the other two to safety first.' Hyuk shrugged.

They continued to eat in silence. Hyuk called a servant to his side and ordered the man to bring his pet some food. No cutlery, he can eat like the dog he is.

 

Donghae was curled up in his corner on a very thin carpet. He didn't move when the door opened and someone came in with a tray. The servant placed the food within reach and left without any eye contact. Hae's stomach growled but his mind was too busy to think of food. How could he ever make it up to the other? Tears welled up again as he thought about their time at the beach. If he just had waited before his impulsive behaviour, maybe then... Hae closed his eyes and without really trying, he slowly fell asleep.

Hyuk went to his room to enjoy the humiliation of the other but was met with a sleeping Donghae. He noticed the food was untouched. He kicked the bowl and the still hot stew flew through the air and landed on the boy. Hae woke up with a scream, he immediately tried to get the food off his bare hands and cheeks.

'What? Is my food not good enough for you?' Hyuk yelled.

'I-I w-wasn't hungry.' Hae stuttered.

'Liar!' Hyuk spat at him. 'Starving yourself won't work. If you don't eat by tonight I'll get a doctor to inject you with the nutritions you need. Got that?'

'Please, forg...'

'Shut your filthy mouth before I beat you up again. You have no right to speak to me. If you won't be silent, I'll gag you.' Hyuk hissed, his anger was intimidating.

Hae just nodded and crawled back into his corner.

Hyuk called a servant to clean the mess while he lied down on his bed.

 

'He's lost it completely.' Sungmin said with hurt in his voice.

'I'm afraid so.' Siwon nodded.

'He'll never forgive himself if he keeps this up, this is not the Hyukjae I've known for so long.'

'Maybe we should just wait until he has cooled down for a bit.'

Sungmin ruffled his hair and sighed. 'Yeah, I guess so, this is all related to Junsu. Hyuk just hates himself for trusting someone again.'

The door opened and the king entered.

Siwon and Sungmin's eyes widenened in shock as they saw him drag along the chained boy.

'Sit there.' Hyuk ordered as he pointed near his feet. Donghae obeyed immediately, his eyes all empty.

'I can't watch this.' Sungmin uttered as he left the room.

'Siwon, could you leave, I want to have dinner alone.' Hyuk ordered.

Siwon just bowed, glancing one more time sadly towards the boy.

 

A bowl was put in front of Hae.

'Since you didn't like the stew at lunch, I got you more of the same now.' Hyuk said. 'Eat it.'

Hae's eyes were searching for utensils.

Hyuk noticed and smirked. 'You'll have to eat it like that.'

Hae stared at the king in disbelief then he lowered his head. He silently bowed until his mouth reached the bowl. He caught a piece of meat between his teeth and started chewing it.

'That's a good boy.' Hyuk mocked.

 

Before Hae could finish he was yanked away harshly. He looked up at Hyuk.

'You had enough, I don't want a fat pet.' The king said as he pulled him towards his room. 'Now go lie in your corner and you better not try anything tonight.'

Hae obeyed and turned his back towards the king.

Somehow that infuriated Hyuk even more. He stared at that back for a while. Suddenly he saw it jerking a bit. Hyuk frowned. He was about to open his mouth but then he heard it. Soft sniffing. The boy was crying his heart out as silently as he could. Hyuk closed his mouth, his eyes never leaving the younger, taking in every little movement. He refused to feel any compassion for the one that betrayed him so eagerly. The boy needed to realise what he had done, what possible friendship he had tossed aside so easily. Hyuk turned around and noticed the other had frozen in fear as no sounds were heard from than on.

Hae bit his lip and waited until he heard the king's breathing slow down. Only then he felt secure enough to move and wipe away the remains of his tears. He would bear whatever consequences his rash behaviour would cause. He promised on his umma's soul.