Chapter Six

Resistance is futile

Hae was staring at the ceiling. The image of his mother in a pool of blood kept haunting him. He had asked to be alone and so far everyone had respected that. He finally decided to get up. He took a shower but felt so empty and heavy, he didn't even enjoy the water massaging his back like he used to. He dried himself and started attaching his poisoned daggers around his ankle, hip and within his sleeve. He took his time and avoided watching his reflection in the mirror. He slowly put on his shirt and buttoned it. He dragged himself downstairs and was welcomed by a frowning Sungmin.

'Prince Donghae, are you feeling better?'

Hae hesitated and nodded faintly.

A bright grin spread throughout the other's face. 'Good! Hyuk will be happy!'

Hae didn't respond and knocked on the door to Hyuk's office.

'Enter' He heard the king yell. He turned the doorknob and walked in.

'Hae!' Hyuk jumped up from his chair and came close. 'I'm so glad you got up.'

The younger smiled weakly.

'Sit down!' Hyuk guided him to a comfortable seat and sat down next to him. Hyuk stared at the dark circles under Hae's eyes. 'Can I do something to help?' He whispered.

Tears welled up in Hae's eyes as he heard those kind words. 'Why are you so nice?' He mumbled.

Hyuk smiled and tilted the boy's head. 'Don't cry, please.' He said softly.

Hae buried his head within the crook of Hyuk's neck. He startled the king a little but Hyuk relaxed and quickly wrapped his arms around the crying boy. 'Shhhh, Hae, all will be well.'

Dark thoughts ruled the younger's mind and clouded his judgement. Almost automatically he pulled the dagger from around his ankle. With a trembling hand he lifted it, aiming its poisonous point to Hyuk's back.

The king kept rubbing near the boy's spine, trying to sooth him but instead the sobs seemed to increase.

'I'm s-so sorry, Hyuk.' Hae stuttered.

Hyuk frowned and a strange sensation took over. He looked to his side and was shocked to see their reflection in the window. His reflex saved him as he quickly grabbed Hae's hand and could stop the dagger from even scratching him.

'Wh-what are you doing?' Hyuk yelled.

'You need to die!' Hae said with a strangled voice. 'Just like mum.'

Hyuk managed to overpower the younger and pinned him to the seat. 'How dare you attack me! You ingrate!' He shouted as he took the dagger and placed it against Hae's neck. 'I should kill you for this.'

All will to live seemed to have left the younger as he didn't even struggle. He felt the dagger break his skin. 'I wish the poison would work.'

Hyuk's eyes widened. 'This is poisoned?' He quickly pulled back the dagger and eyed the wound.

Hae chuckled darkly. 'You almost seem worried but it won't work on me.'

Hyuk frowned. He threw the dagger to the other side of the room. 'Are you sure?'

'Yeah, they trained me to be able to withstand any poison.'

Hyuk looked at the boy underneath him with shock. He had heard about barbaric training like that. Young children were exposed to increasing amounts of poison to make them resistant. Needless to say that almost all the children died at some point. He knew this kind of training caused excrutiating pain to the victim.

'You wanted to kill me all along.' Hyuk finally realised.

Hae looked away as he couldn't stand the pain in the other's eyes.

'You betrayed me.' Hyuk whispered. 'You ing betrayed my trust!' He clenched his fist and hit Donghae full on the cheek.

At this point Hae welcomed the pain. Hyuk threw the boy through the room and a kick into the stomach followed.

Hae groaned out in pain but didn't even defend himself. He lost count of the times those fist rained on him. He didn't even realise Sungmin had entered the room until he heard a yell and felt Hyuk being pulled off him.

'What the hell are you doing, Hyuk!' Sungmin screamed as he looked horrified at all the blood.

Hae could only open one eye but that was enough to see that the king was crying.

'Hyuk?' Sungmin hesitated.

'I tried...to kill him.' Hae croaked out.

Sungmin took Hyuk into his embrace and stared at Donghae. 'What?' He saw Kyuhyun frozen at the door.

'Hae?' Kyu mumbled. Shocked by the sight of his cousin but even more by the words the younger had uttered.

'S-sorry Kyu, I h-had to try.' Hae wheezed, his vision was blurring. 'Umma...for umma.' He breathed out.

'You ing idiot.' Kyuhyun ran to Hae and tried to slap him softly into consciousness but the other had already out completely. Kyu closed his eyes for a second and then turned to the other two. 'Please let me treat his wounds. Let us all calm down. I'm aware this is a capital offence.' He said, his eyes pleading with Hyuk's. 'But please, don't decide anything yet.'

Hyuk's eyes went from Kyu to the limp body of Hae. Everything hurt and the betrayal was weighing heavily on him but something about a knocked out Donghae made him ill to his stomach. He nodded curtly and looked away.

Kyu thanked him and lifted Hae up, quickly carrying the boy, yelling for Wook.