Chapter Four

Resistance is futile

Kyu smiled as he saw Hae spread out next to him. He still slept like when he was a little boy, taking up two thirds of the bed, the blanket wound up around one leg, his tummy uncovered as his shirt had crawled up. Kyu gently removed his arms from around his cousin, ignoring the little whines the other was outing. Finally he was free. He stretched his back, yawned and opened the door. He softly closed it behind him, yawned again and yelped as he suddenly noticed Hyukjae leaning against the wall in the hallway.

'Oh my frigging God, you scared me.' Kyu said as his hand was still on his heart.

Hyuk just looked him up and down.

Kyu frowned. 'Why are you not talking?'

'Why did you sleep with him?'

Kyu blinked. 'With Hae?'

Hyuk just stared him coldly in the eye.

'Hae can't sleep alone.'

An eyebrow cocked up.

'He gets nightmares if he does.' Kyu continued.

'So you two always sleep together?'

'What? No! Usually people in the East castle take turns. We only make sure he falls asleep with someone in the room, then you can just leave him be. Well unless he wakes up in the middle of the night, then he sneaks to a room and into someone's bed.' Kyu chuckled at the memories.

Hyukjae didn't seem amused. 'So why did you stay?'

'Last night? Well I was exhausted and too lazy to get out of the warm bed.'

'Don't do this again.' Hyuk mumbled and turned around.

'Why not? It's harmless.'

Hyuk glared over his shoulder.

Kyu lifted his hands. 'Fine, next time I won't stay over. But if he crawls into your bed after waking up, don't nag about it to me.'

Hyuk quickly walked away before the other could distinguish the blush that was spreading all over his face.

 

'The king seems happy.' Siwon uttered as he stuffed a waffle completely into his mouth.

Sungmin wrinkled his nose at the sight and quickly checked out his best friend's mood. 'Hmmm you are right, his eyes are...sparkling, whoa!' Min had followed the gaze of those happy eyes and his own had landed on the toothless smile of prince Donghae.

'Prince Donghae?' Hyuk's voice sounded warm.

'Please call me Donghae or Hae.' Hae said.

'H-Hae?'

'Hmmmm?'

'What would you like to do today?' Hyuk inquired.

'Well, I should unpack.'

Wookie feverishly shook his head and pointed at himself.

'Seems like he's willing to unpack for you.' Hyuk smiled.

'Oh, what do you suggest I could do, sir?' Hae asked.

'Please, call me Hyuk. We could go to the sea.'

Hae's eyes widenend. 'Sea?'

'It's only ten minutes away.'

 

Hae jumped around on the sand like any five year old would.

Hyuk couldn't help but laugh as the boy kept thanking him.

'Why is he so excited?' Minnie asked Kyu.

'Because this is the first time he ever saw the sea.'

Hyuk turned his head at that. 'What? The East has one as well.'

'He was never allowed to go there, too dangerous.' Kyu said curtly as his eyes softened again watching his cousin making a sand angel.

'Hae, want to make a sand castle?' Hyuk asked.

The lit up eyes were enough answer.

They were building for hours, Hae sometimes stopped to admire their work, he clapped his hands and continued. In the mean time they were talking about everything and nothing. Suddenly Hae cried out.

'What's wrong?' Hyuk was shocked.

'The sea is destroying our work!' Hae said while he looked offended at the said criminal.

'Well yeah, that is part of the fun.' Hyuk laughed.

'Oh.'

'We could take revenge though.' Hyuk whispered.

Hae's eyes widened. 'How?' He whispered back.

'You can swim right?' Hyuk asked.

Hae nodded.

'Follow me.' Hyuk yelled as he ran for the sea and violently jumped his way over the waves as he screamed war cries.

'It's times like these that I really don't get why the hell he's my best friend.' Minnie mumbled, but his eyes were smiling.

'What are you talking about, I don't know those two weirdos over there.' Kyu said as they heard Hae copying the king and attacking the defenseless sea.

The two royals kept karate kicking the waves until they were exhausted. They fell on their back and floated around.

'Hyuk?'

'Hmmm?'

'Thank you for today.' Hae whispered as he stared at the few clouds that painted the clear blue sky.

Hyuk stared at the face next to him and smiled. 'I had fun too, Hae.'