Chapter Thirteen

Resistance is futile

They had dinner in silence. Hyuk seemed tired after his open conference. He just sat down and ate like a starved man. Hae couldn't keep his eyes off him. The man seemed more and more intriguing.

Hyuk noticed Hae's lack of appetite and shifted his gaze upon his captive. Hae quickly looked down, feeling caught.

'What's wrong?' Hyuk asked.

'Nothing, sorry.' Hae whispered.

Hyuk frowned. 'Sorry for what?'

Hae bowed his head down even further as he fought tears. 'For attacking you.'

Hyuk's jaw dropped as he kept staring at Hae who curled himself up on the ground.

A servant entered and asked if dessert could be served.

Hyuk blinked and got back to reality. 'What's for dessert?'

'Strawberry cheesecake.'

Hyuk's eyes started to sparkle. 'Bring me four!'

'My lord!' The servant said shocked. 'Your tummy will hurt!'

'Two are for Donghae.' Hyuk said, slightly offended.

The servant bowed and quickly left.

'I-I get dessert?' Hae stuttered.

Hyuk's eyes went from the disappearing servant to Hae's wide open ones.

'Sure, why not? It's strawberry!' The king shrugged.

The servant came back with the pink delight and placed three portions on the table and one in front of Hae. The latter stared at it with big eyes. He his lips in anticipation.

Hyuk already had a spoonful and was in pleasure, distracting Hae who was now openly staring at the almost purring king. The moment Hyuk opened his eyes he noticed Hae's curious look and coughed. 'I kinda like strawberries.' He confessed.

Hae's bright genuine smile caught him off guard. The king could only stare. A giggle escaped Hae's mouth.

'What?' Hyuk quickly asked, wiping his mouth, afraid there might be some cake there.

'You look like a monkey.' Hae chuckled.

Hyuk's eyes grew larger as he enjoyed the joyous sound the younger was producing. His gaze softened and laughter bubbled from within.

They laughed together for a bit. As it settled down they didn't stop looking at each other. Hyuk grabbed another spoon without averting his eyes and tossed it towards Hae. 'Taste some.'

Hae caught the utensil and dug into the dessert. His eyes turned into two half moons as the delicious taste hit him. 'God this is good.'

Hyuk got up with his dessert and sat down next to Hae. 'It is, right?'

Hae nodded happily as his spoon dug in once more, only to offer the bite to the king.

Hyuk's gummy smile appeared right before he took it.

The two men ate two pieces each before they lied down, complaining about aching stomaches yet already craving another piece. They were lost together in this shared moment, there was no anger, no revenge, no reminder of what had happened until they got up and Hae's chain rattled. Hae immediately kneeled down as he remembered his current situation. Hyuk just grabbed the chain loosely.

'Come on, let's sleep.' The king mumbled as they walked out of the room.

 

Hyuk stared at Hae's back. The boy had gone quiet as soon as they left the dining room. He had washed up and crawled into his corner obediently. Hyuk hated to stare at that back. It seemed so vulnerable, so...distant. He was about to lie on his back when he heard the change in Hae's breathing. Something was wrong.

'Donghae?'

Hae didn't respond but his body was shaking.

Hyuk frowned.

'No, please, no!' Hae mumbled as he trashed his head around.

Hyuk jumped out of his bed and ran to the corner. 'Donghae, wake up, you are having a nightmare! Donghae!' He slightly shook the boy until the younger snapped his eyes open. Eyes that widened only to fill up with tears.

'Shhhh, it's okay, Donghae, it was only a bad dream.' Hyuk held the boy close as he instinctively rocked their bodies.

After the other had calmed down a bit, Hyuk dared to pull away a little. 'Want to talk about it?'

Hae shook his head.

'Okay, well try to sleep.' Hyuk said clumsily as he stood up.

Hae immediately grabbed the king's wrist in despair. Hyuk looked down and saw the terror in the younger's eyes.

'Pl-please don't leave me alone.' Hae's voice was barely audible.

Hyuk couldn't stand the loneliness in Hae's soulful eyes. He just nodded, unhooked the chain from the wall and escorted the still trembling boy to his bed. As Hae lied down, Hyuk pulled the covers on top of them. Hae was about to turn his back to the king again when the latter spoke.

'No, keep your eyes on me, so you know you are safe here, ok?' Hyuk said.

Hae bit his lip and slowly nodded once.

It only took Hyuk a couple more minutes to fall asleep as he had been exhausted. Something about his steady breathing and peaceful features relaxed Donghae. He could still smell the strawberries and all of that made him fall into a healthy sleep.