Chapter Five

Resistance is futile

'Have you found any weak points?' Wookie signed.

Hae frowned.

'You were with him all day and nothing?'

'I got to see the sea.'

'Donghae!'

'What?'

'You can't forsake your mission.'

'I never said I would.'

'I know you, you are getting attached.'

'Well he seems....nice.' Donghae wanted to turn around but Wook grabbed his shirt.

'Nice? Did you forget? What he caused?'

Donghae looked down and shook his head. 'Please leave me alone, thank you for unpacking.'

Wookie sighed, hugged his hyung and left.

 

Hae woke up screaming. He was sweating heavily and panting like crazy. His shaky hand went through his hair as he started crying. Kangin stormed into the room, followed by Kyuhyun. They both startled as they saw the sobbing mess.

'Hae?' Kyu approached him gently.

Hae wrapped his arms around his cousin and cried even harder.

'What's going on here?' Hyuk said as he entered the room.

'This...this is what we get if we leave him alone.' Kyu's black eyes stabbed into the king. 'I warned you, I knew this would happen.'

Hyuk felt helpless as his eyes went from the enraged accusing eyes to the bundle of grief within Kyu's arms.

'Was it about auntie again?' Kyu whispered. He felt a faint nod and the hands were clinging more tightly onto him. 'It's okay, Hae, try to calm down.'

 

'Is he alright?' Hyuk asked as he gave Kyu a glass of liquor.

'Yeah, he fell back to sleep. Kangin is with him.'

'He had a nightmare?'

'I'm afraid so, it's a recurring one.'

'About?'

'His mother being killed, he found her body.' Kyu sighed. 'That was two years ago.'

 

'He's still in his bedroom?' Sungmin asked during breakfast.

'He gets the worst migraine attacks afterwards.' Kyu mumbled.

'Should I send in a doctor?' Hyuk started pacing.

'He just needs to sleep.' Kyu said.

 

When Hae woke up, he felt numb. Void of any emotions.

'Are you feeling better?' Kyu asked.

Hae shrugged.

Wookie signed that he would stay with him and told Kyu to take some rest. As soon as the other left, Wook turned to Hae.

'I know, you don't have to tell me.' Hae said weakly. 'The nightmare was a clear reminder.'

Wook lowered his hands and chose to change the moist towel on Hae's head. Hae let go and fell into a dreamless sleep.

 

Wook was startled as he heard the door creak open in the middle of the night. He grabbed the lamp and lifted it as a weapon.

'Don't worry, I just wanted to check up on Hae.' Hyuk whispered as he saw the terrified man.

Wook frowned, still holding the lamp.

Hyuk just walked up to the bed and sat down. He stared at the pale boy between the sheets. He sat there for a couple of minutes before he started talking. 'I'll give you a good life, Hae. You'll have everything you ever wanted. The war was wrong. Too many people have died on both sides. Let's be the rolemodel to our nations. See yourself as a guest, not as a prisoner. Let's be friends.' He whispered. He brushed his thumb against the sleeping boy's cheek. The features softened as the pained expression left Hae's face. Hyuk smiled. 'I'll tell you the same next time you are awake.' He got up, said good night to a stunned Wook and left.