Chapter Eleven

Resistance is futile

Thanks to zizigulu for the lovely poster!


 

'Wow, someone is loved!' Sungmin said as he entered Hyuk's study.

'Shut up.' Hyuk mumbled.

'Oh come on, don't be grumpy like that.'

Hyuk just ignored his best friend.

'Why did you call me over?' Min asked after observing the king a little.

'No reason.'

'Hyuk...'

Hyuk looked away and bit his lip.

Any signs of mock left Min's face. 'Hey, you can tell me, I'm here for you.'

Hyuk suddenly turned around. 'Are you? Are you really?' He asked sharply.

Sungmin frowned. 'Of course. Geez Hyuk! We've been friends forever!'

'Yet you don't agree with how I treat him.' Hyuk pointed his head towards Donghae. The boy was still seated outside his door. He was munching on something undefinable, unmistakely given to him by one of his many admirers.

'Indeed, I think you are being too harsh.'

'He tried to kill me! Why does everyone take that so lightly!' Hyuk yelled out.

Sungmin realised his mistake, he quickly shielded the glass wall by pushing a button and took Hyuk into his embrace. 'I'm sorry, Hyukjae. I'm so sorry.'

The king hadn't realised tears had started to well up until he sniffed a little.

Sungmin pulled a bit back and cupped his best friend's face. 'It's not that we think the murder attempt was something to forget so easily. It's just that everything about Donghae screams something totally different than murderer. I know that is what made you so open to him in the first place.'

Hyuk opened his mouth but was shushed by the other.

'I think the reason I defend the boy so much is because your behaviour is scaring me to death. You are not this cruel. You are breaking that boy's will, minute by minute. I can't stand it, Hyukjae. He might have tried to kill you quickly but you are killing him slowly and painfully. If you want revenge, put him on trial.'

Hyuk's face showed no more emotion as he stubbornly shook his head.

Sungmin knew his friend too well though. He chuckled. 'I know you don't want to do that and I know why.'

'No idea what you are talking about.' Hyuk huffed before he blew his nose.

Min smiled and patted Hyuk's hair. 'I'm always on your side, monkey of mine. Don't ever doubt that.' He turned around and pushed the button again. 'Why are those girls touching him?'

Hyuk's head snapped to the side as his eyes burnt through the glass wall. Outside was an uncomfortable Hae surrounded by three young women who were touching his hair, shoulder and chest respectively. Without another thought he stormed towards his door, slammed it open, startling everyone in the waiting room. He grabbed Hae's chain off the wall and pulled the boy in his office, closing the door with a bang behind them.

Hae was scared out of his mind as he watched the pulsating vein in Hyuk's neck. He was dragged towards the couch, pushed on it with a sharp 'stay'. Hyuk attached the chain to his desk and looked back at Sungmin, daring his friend to comment. The latter just raised his hands.

Shindong came rushing in. 'My lord, you can't keep him in here.' He outed.

Hyuk cocked up an eyebrow. 'I can't?'

'I-I mean, very secretive information is relayed here, he could use it....' Shindong was sweating.

'Get the out!' Hyuk yelled. Shindong fled and Sungmin chose to leave them alone.

Hae stared at his hands as he was still seated on the comfy couch. After five minutes of silence he finally dared to look up but quickly looked down again as he noticed the king staring at him.

Hyuk didn't like the younger to act so scared around him but he realised he brought that upon himself. He sighed. 'Just rest a little, I didn't know the vultures would be that fast.' He mumbled.

'The vultures?' Hae asked softly.

'Those three women that were all over you just now. They are all of noble families and would love to marry royalty, even if they are from the East, apparently.'

Hae's giggle surprised Hyuk. The king looked at that innocent face. 'Why are you laughing?'

Hae blushed. 'S-sorry, I was just imagening Kyu with those women.'

'What is funny about that?'

'He gets so awkward with women.' Hae couldn't help but laugh again. 'He barely can out a syllable.'

Hyuk unconsciously smiled with the boy. It was funny to picture the cool, sharp Cho Kyuhyun socially awkward.

The silence in between them lacked tension for the first time.

Hae gathered his courage and looked up at the king. 'About what Shindong said...'

'Nevermind him, he always panicks.' Hyuk said.

'He had a point though, about the information.'

'I don't intend to let you go, so that is no worry of mine.' Hyuk stated as his eyes pierced the younger's.

Hae felt weird. Something about that look and those words should have scared the hell out of him but it didn't. He just nodded.

'I have to prepare for an open conference. You'll be going with me.' Hyuk went back to his desk and started working unaware of the many strange looks he got from his workers outside his office looking in on their king and the captive. Hae's eye were stranded on the peculiar king in front of him, trying to figure out what kind of man he was.