Chapter Twelve

Resistance is futile

'Today's session has officially started.' Siwon announced as the throne room had filled up and the king with Donghae in chains had finally entered.

Hae immediately lowered his head in shame as he saw so many pairs of eyes on him.

'Let the first plaintiff come forward.' Siwon declared while he hit the ground with a large gold dipped staff.

An elderly lady tried to approach hastily but her poor condition held her back.

Donghae's eyes widened and he quickly stood up to help her. Siwon wanted to push Hae to the side but a sharp handsign from the king stopped him. Hyuk watched as Hae gently wrapped his hand around the lady's elbow and guided her. The woman cupped Hae's cheeks and mumbled 'You are such a good boy, can't say I approve of your jewelry though.' Her eyes had glanced over the neck chain as she shook her head. Hae smiled and returned to his place.

Hyuk cleared his throat and Siwon continued. 'You may state your affair.' the first advisor said.

The woman looked her king right in the eye. 'I know you are a fair king to us, your loyal subjects. It pains me to have to stand here and point my finger on a sore spot in society lately.'

Hae noticed how Hyuk sat straight up and listened attentively.

Tears welled up in the old lady's eyes. Siwon handed her a tissues. 'The thing is, I lost my only love a couple of months ago.' She dried her eyes. 'We had been married for 69 years. So I buried him at the local cemetery. I go greet him every day and bring him fresh flowers. He always loved the scent of flowers.' The tears were back again and not only in her eyes.

Hae unconsciously wrapped his arms around his knees as he stared at the pain reflected in Hyuk's eyes.

'A week ago on thursday, as usual I went to talk with my husband.' The woman bit her lip. 'But his grave had been damaged. His picture was broken, the flowers were trampled on and grafiti was all over the place.' Her voice broke.

Hae saw rage in Hyuk's eyes. The king stood up from his throne. 'Do we know who did it?' He asked Siwon. Two young boys were brought forward. Hyuk just paced up and down, now and then throwing a glare at the teenagers. The tension was thick and Donghae swallowed carefully, afraid it could be heard in to complete silence within the room. Hyuk finally stood still in front of the trembling teenagers. 'Why?' He threw the word at them.

Both boys looked down. The oldest one finally spoke up. 'We are so sorry.' He looked briefly at the old woman. 'Really sorry, we must have been out of our minds.' His voice sounded remorseful and pained.

'Is that your defense? Out of your mind?' Hyuk's voice boomed.

A woman launched herself forward, grabbing Hyuk's knees. Shindong wanted to interfere but Hyuk shook his head.

'Please, my lord, spare my sons, please!' The woman cried as she begged for mercy.

Hyuk's hard glare went back to the boys. 'See what you caused? Your mother on her knees.'

The boys were crying now.

'Please, dear lord. They were bored, they didn't mean to...'

'Silence!' Hyuk yelled, startling everybody as he harshly pulled himself free from her grip.

Hae could tell the king was beyond furious.

'Bored? Seriously?' Hyuk raged. 'If everyone that was bored for an instance would commit their acts, we would live in complete chaos!'

The woman realising her mistake could only sob.

Hyuk looked into the crowd. 'Parents, please, stop defending wrong doing done by your children. Punish them accordingly and reward them for good deeds so they can become fine young men and women. If you pamper them too much and always excuse their behaviour, they will have no bounderies! They need you to set the rules and to remind them of what is right and wrong!'

Hae could only stare at Hyuk as the man was truly majestic in his speech. He had easily captivated the large crowd and the dozens of cameras in the room.

'Hmmm, now you see the Hyuk I know.' Sungmin whispered into Hae's ear.

The mother of the boys approached Hyuk one more time and whispered something. Hyuk seemed to turn red. He cleared his throat and continued. 'I think the best solution is to let the boys clean up the mess they made and to restore the trust of this nice lady. In other words they shall spend their free time taking care of the cemetery and doing chores for the lady. In total I want to see them do 100 working hours each.

 

Hae was very quiet. His admiration for the king of the West grew by each case the latter solved. He found Hyuk to be a fair and kind king. Again Hae realised how badly he himself had behaved by just asuming Hyuk was guilty of his mother's death. Oh how he wished he could turn back time to the day they had spend on the beach.

 

'Hyuk?'

'Min?'

'What did the mother of those boys whisper in your ear? A dirty proposal?' Sungmin snickered.

Hyuk turned red again.

'Oh my god, she did?'

'N-no.'

'Then what?'

'She begged me not to chain her boys.'