Chapter Ten

Resistance is futile

The sun was caressing Hae's features and slowly waking him up. His back was stiff and he was slightly shivering. He noticed that the king was still sleeping. He slowly and silently got up and went to his private little bathroom, his chain barely reached all parts of that room. He saw some fresh, plain clothes and felt thankful for something so ordinary. He started washing himself, trying not to watch himself in the mirror. He could hear the shower in the royal bathroom next to him being and realised Hyuk must be awake too. He quickly finished and waited for him in his corner.

 

Hae was dragged to Hyuk's study after breakfast. He held his head down, not wanting to meet the curious or shocked eyes of others.

'Sit here.' Hyuk ordered as he attached the chain to the wall. The king didn't even look at Hae as he opened his door and went inside his study, leaving Hae right outside on his own.

Apparently it was a very busy area in the palace as people kept on passing the waiting room Hae was in. If Hae turned his head he could watch Hyuk through a glass wall. The king was seated behind a huge desk and seemed very occupied.

Hae sighed but remained on the floor although a comfortable chair was right next to him.

'Hi sweety, what's your name?' A voice shook Hae out of his daydream. He looked up and saw gentle eyes.

'I-I am Donghae.' He stuttered.

'I'm Amber.'

Hae bowed his head slightly.

'Can I get you anything?' Amber asked.

Hae just blinked in confusion. Didn't she see he was a prisoner?

Amber kneeled down next to the boy and made a hand gesture indicating she meant a drink.

Hae smiled but it quickly disappeared. 'I don't know if I'm allowed.'

Amber frowned. She opened when Hyuk pulled the door open and started yelling. 'What is going on here?'

Hae cowered away a little, startled by the sudden noise.

Amber, in a reflex, patted the boy's head and stared at Hyuk. 'Calm your horses, monkey, I just asked this cutie pie what he wanted to drink.'

Hae's jaw dropped at the informal tone the girl was using towards the king.

'He's not important.' Hyuk snarled.

'Yeah right, that's why you chained him up.' Amber snorted as she winked at a blushing Hae.

Hyuk was choking in his anger.

Amber slapped him on the back and grinned. 'Don't be so jealous, Hyuk, I was going to ask you what you wanted to drink too!'

'I'm not jealous!' Hyuk tried to defend himself.

'Good, then you won't mind me doting on this adorable treasure.' Amber said while she a rebelious strand of Hae's hair out of his face.

Hyuk looked from one to the other. 'Strawberry juice.' He mumbled as he turned his back.

Amber cleared .

'Please.' Hyuk added quickly before he shut his door again.

Hae just stared at the powerful woman with big eyes.

Amber just chuckled. 'My mum used to change his diapers and I have a million embarrassing stories about him. That's why I can talk to him like that.' She clarified. 'Now tell me what you want.'

'I-I don't want to cause trouble.'

Amber sighed. 'I heard what happened and I know Hyuk is beyond reasoning right now but trust me that boy has a heart of gold. He'll come around and set you free. In the meantime let's get to know each other.'

'I tried to kill him.'

'I heard. And I was coming over here to kick your but...' She hesitated.

Hae looked up with confused eyes. 'But?'

'Then I saw you. You don't have the eyes of a killer. So I decided to give you a chance.'

Tears filled Hae's eyes.

'What would you like to drink?' Amber repeated with a soft voice.

'Warm chocolate milk, please.' Hae said weakly.

'With lots of whipped cream?' Amber whispered.

A sparkle returned to Hae's eyes as he nodded.

 

'You are going to pamper him, aren't you?' Hyuk said as he saw Hae nipping on his treat, oblivious of the whipped cream clinging cutely onto his nose.

Amber grinned. 'You bet.'

'Why?'

'To compensate for your acting out.'

'He tried to kill me.'

'Yet your skinny is very much alive.'

'Amber...'

'Hyuk, the boy is worth a second chance.'

'You only just met him!'

'Yes, just look into his eyes, Hyuk.'

Hyuk tore his eyes off Hae who had several people surrounding him outside the study and went back to his chair. He pretended to read some emails while ignoring his friend's presence. He grabbed a pen and noted something down.

Amber saw the rigid movements and sighed. 'Fine, be a jerk.'

As soon as she left, Hyuk threw the pen away and groaned. His eyes landed automatically on Hae's shy smile as the crowd grew bigger. They all wanted to talk to the adorable chained creature.