Chapter One

Resistance is futile

For over a century two nations have been fighting with each other. Neither side remembers how it all started. Different versions roamed the world. One thing was certain. It was more than a century of bloodshed, of loss, of military strategies, betrayal and spying. The walls had not only eyes and ears but also within them often could lie your last breathing moment as many noblemen or even kings had died within their own castle.

The said nations had always been ruled by the same families. The West had lost their king merely two years ago, his only son, Lee Hyukjae was forced to take the throne at the very young age of nineteen. The East had already buried two crown princes, leaving a desperate king with his youngest son, Lee Donghae.

 

'It doesn't make sense, my lord.' General Shindong emphasised.

'The letter seems genuine though.' First advisor Siwon said while handing it over to the king.

Hyukjae sighed and quickly scanned the letter. 'I can just slaughter the kid, can't I? Then he has no more offspring and he'll be forced to put his brother's children on the throne.'

'You could do that.' Siwon said.

'You should do that, my lord.' Shindong said firmly. 'Never trust the enemy, especially not such a cruel one. Remember what they did to your late father.'

'You could also just wait it out and see what kind of person the prince is.' Sungmin said casually.

'Why are you even here?' Shindong snarled.

'He's my friend, I trust him.' Hyuk intervened and signaled his general to shut up. 'Continue, Minnie.'

'I don't get it either, why the king would send you his most valuable possession, but he clearly states he wants to end the war. Maybe losing his second son due to heavy injuries on the battlefield has opened the old man's eyes?'

Hyuk was thinking it through. 'What do we know about this Lee Donghae's combat abilities?'

'There are no records of them, my lord.' Shindong said.

Hyuk frowned. 'No intel?'

Shindong put his weight on his other foot and hesitated.

'Well?' Hyuk got impatient.

'He's been raised by his late mother far away from the castle, my lord. It seems that he had no training at all.'

'So maybe the king knows it's hopeless with this son, so he tries to save his country?' Siwon said.

'Who would trade their own blood for land.' Hyuk mumbled.

'What did you say, my lord?' The general asked.

'Nothing.' Hyuk smiled shortly. 'Let's welcome the kid and see how it goes.'

 

Prince Donghae was escorted by a small group of soldiers and officials. He had travelled under the white flag through the desert for three days and crossed several rivers to finally close in on the West castle after a week. He felt exhausted but no one could tell, he still sat straight up in the saddle, ignoring the straining muscles.

Ryeowook jumped in front of the horse and started signing to his friend.

'I'm fine Wookie, I don't need to rest, the castle is an hour away.' Donghae smiled.

His mute friend rolled his eyes and shrugged.

'Well I could sleep for days.' Kyuhyun whined.

'No one told you to come with me, cousin.' Hae huffed.

'You would still be in that damn desert if it weren't for me, you punk.' Kyu hissed.

'I thought following the sun would get us to the West.' Hae pouted.

'You were clearly hallucinating half of the time.' Kyu said. 'You shouldn't have drank from that weird cactus. It made you even weirder than usual.'

'Thank you, prince Kyu, for your help.' Kangin, Donghae's personal guard, tried to calm the boys down.

'You're welcome.' Kyu muttered, ignoring the bright annoying smile of his cousin behind the guard's back.

 

'A small has been spotted five miles east from here, my lord.' A messenger declared after bowing to the king.

'Is it them?' Hyuk asked.

'It seems so, the number of men fits with the description they had sent ahead.'

'Should we ambush them?' Shindong tried once more.

'Nah, let's see what my enemy is like.' Hyuk waved his general away. He looked at Siwon.

His first advisor nodded. 'The special forces are informed and put two men on each one of theirs.'

'Good and I always have Minnie as a last resort.' Hyuk grinned at his friend who high kicked some air just for show, landing on Shindong's foot who bit his lip and forced himself not to cuss unholy words in front of his king.

 

'Hae, we can still turn around.' Kyu suddenly said.

The prince looked at his cousin and saw the seriousness hidden in his black eyes. 'Thanks, Kyu, but no, it's our last chance.'

Kyu sighed. 'What chance? You are being traded for peace.' A little bit of anger resounded in his words.

'Stop being nice, it's freaking me out.' Hae declared and playfully punched the other.

'Fine, but don't start crying when that king is slicing you up.' Kyu mumbled, his mind restless with fear.

Wook was signing frantically and made Hae chuckle. Kyu just rolled his eyes.

'What did that boy say?' Kangin inquired curiously.

'He said I am way too handsome and cute to ever get killed.' Hae laughed as he leaned down and ruffled the boy's hair.

'Maybe they like a different type here in the West, you know, a more manly, taller, serious guy... someone like me.' Kyu said.

Hae chose that time to empty his last water bottle by waving it to his right where by coincidence his cousin was located.