Chapter 8

Love in Mysterious Ways

     The sound of that big oaf laughing made Kim want to reopen the door and throw a shoe at his smug face. She didn't,  though.

Instead, she breathe deeply as she descended the stairs trying hard to calm herself down.

     He'd actually offered her money like a common e. What kind of man does that? The kind of man, she reminded herself, who looked like he slept in his car when he left bars.

     Kim looked over her shoulder to make sure he wasn't following her out and told herslf that she wasn't disappointed that he didn't. The man was an arrogant .  A big, gorgeous, y, arrogant .

     A flashy black SUV had parked carelessly close to the rear of her blue Mitsubishi sedan. It had plenty of room behind it. Whoever owned the car had pinned her out of indifference, rather than necessity. She inched her car forward, then back, but didn't have room to get out of her parallel parking spot.

     What kind of...wait, it couldn't be. The license plate number signifies it's brand new. She'd bet her coin that Mr Gucci had driven this trophy car.

     She set her car in reverse and acted on an impulse; slowly backing her car until it thumped the other. Both bumpers protested and her tires spun, but eventually the cars reversed a few inches. As she pulled forward and into traffic, she quickly looked back in her rearview mirror. His bumper was scratched and slightly dented, but it was nother more than he deserved and she didn't care if he knew she'd done it. In fact, she would gladly signed the masterpiece had she been able to.

     'Who's laughing now? she tought and headed home.

     The triumph was shortlived. What was she going to tell Kam? Had she set out to get her sister fired, she couldn't have been more thorough. Even if he didn't mention her general appearanve or inappropriate behaviour, there was always the chance that he'd report her for damaging his vehicle.

     She shouldn't feel bad about that. In fact, she had every intention of deeply regretting that move when she was forced to explain it to Kam, but for now, it still feel right. She couldn't suppress a smile as she imagined his expression when he saw what she'd done. He'd be furious!

     The idea of making him angry was unexpectedly a turn for Kim. A man like that wouldn't stay angry. He'd yell at first then pull her against him and their mutual passion would take it from there. Would they make it as far as the bedroom or maybe even just at the stairs?

     Kim her car's airconditioner to cool her face. She had to stop thinking about him that way. The man might be good looking but he had the social skills of a cockroach. He offered to buy me for the night, for goodness sake.

     So, why did she wish the evening had ended differently?

     She wasn't the type who found dangerous men attractive. She dated solid, dependable, safe men. They were part of her plan; a plan she'd outlined for herself and Kam when at 18, she'd become her sister's legal guardian. What her life lacked in passion, it made up for in achievement. Her careful choices had made juggling college and parenthood possible. The house she was driving home to was evidence that the path she'd chosen had been the right one.

     Whatever Mr Gucci made her feel didn't fit her priorities. It was good, but it was kind of good that always ended badly. That knowledge didn't change the fact that for the first time in too many years to count she'd felt young, giddy - alive.