Chapter 4

Love in Mysterious Ways

     There were at least a hundred reasons why she should leave now before she made a fool out of herself. Yet, she was tempted. It was more than the athletic span of his shoulder, more than the strong line of his jaw. She couldn't even blame it on the sadness in his eyes, because the exhausted look of this man is now replaced with a look of a man who knows how to get what he wanted - and right now he wanted her.

     She was more tempted to just walk away, but wasn't that what she always did when life offered her something she considered too good to be true? She chose safety and certainty over less reliable dreams and desires.

     Just this once she wanted to sample what she'd been missing. Just this once, she wouldn't run.

     She will share a meal with him and enjoy the way he made her skin tingle with just a look, and will definitely leave before anything else happened.

     'Any problems with the Chinese?' she asked. She knew there is one around the corner who does takeaways.

     'Chinese what?', he jolted.

    ' Food.' she added hopefully.

     'Oh,' he smiled. 'Takeout.'

     'Yes, I know there's a good place that delivers, unless you want me to try to find something else.'

    'No. 'Sorry for a minute there, I forgot.' Hands in his pockets, he rocked back his heels, still looking highly amused by his thoughts.

    'Forgot what?' she couldn't help but asked.

    With unexpected tenderness, he slid one of her curls behind her ear. 'That you're exactly what I need.' Before she could react he stepped back and handed her far too much money, no matter what she ordered.

    'Order some food while I hit the shower.' He smiled that could knock her off her feet and walked away, tossing over his shoulder, 'Ive heard I need one.'

     Kim fanned her face with the bills as she watched him take the stairs two at a time. Not quite shaking herself free of the imagination of Mr. Gucci beneath the shower. She reached for her purse and phone.

     A man that y is just trouble.