Chapter 21

Love in Mysterious Ways

     A small doe came out of the tree line, leading a tentative group of about six other deer. They watched Kim and Gerald carefully as they nibbled on the furthest and safest kernels.

     One large buck stepped out of the group and approached the seated pair. Kim reached into her bag and filled her palm with his reward. The others bacame bolder and soon the small bench wa surrounded by hungry deer.

     Kim poured some of the kernels into Gerald's hand. He reached forward and was surprised by how softly the fragile animals took the treat. He was further surprised by the feeling of triumph he felt they trusted him enough to bring their young ones closer to the bench.

     Kim looked on with a real expression of pleasure.

     He announced, "This changes nothing. You heared my sister. She doesn't want anything from me."

     Kim simply gave him more corn and said, "Who are you trying to convince, me or you?"

     The ring of Gerald's phone scattered a few of the deer. It rang  gain, but he didn't reach for it.

     Kim turned to him as the rings grew louder, "Aren't you going to answer it?"

     I should. Fred wouldn't call him again so soon if it weren't an emergency. Gerald dug the phone out of his front pocket. "Anderson," he said with all the impatience he felt.

     "We've got a problem," Fred announced. "You need to go to China ASAP."

     "That is a problem," Gerald answered, "because I have no intention of going anywhere till next week."

     Fred was not moved by his refusal. "I just got off the phone with a contact we have within the Chinese Promotion Investment Agency. He says you've offended the Minister of Commerce. By missing his meeting, the Minister has lost face and is doubting your guaanxi."

     "My what?"

     "Your personal relationship with him. Your mutual trust. Whatever. I can't fix this without you. You're going to drop whatever you're doing and flu to Beijing to meet him in person this week or the whole project is going to be tabled."

     Beijing was the last place Gerald wanted to be. He wasn't ready to step back into his old life yet. He wanted a few more days of simply being with Kim. No pressure. No expectations. With her, he was rediscovering who he was beneath all his anger and ambition and he liked the man he saw reflected in her eyes.

     "This contract will benefir them as much as it will us. What are they stalling for? Gerald's voice revealed his growing frustration.

     "We didn't take into account the level of importance the Chinese place on personal relationships. They aren't going to move forward until you go out there to talk to them. Our conatct syas, unlike the impatient Americans -- they have all the time in the world. We can't afford to have this project put on hold. Our investors are already getting nervous."

     A grroup of children saw the deer that still lingered around Gerald and Kim and came screaming toward them.

     "What is that noise, Gerald? Where the hell are you?"

     "At the zoo," Gerald answered absently.

     Fred grunted in agreement. "Sounds like one. Where are you -- outside a toy store or something?"

     "No, I'm actually at a zoo." Kim shouldered the blame with a shamless shrug and conttinued listening to his side of the conversation with undisguised curiosity.

     Fred's voice rose an actave. "A zoo as with real caged animals?"

     "Are there any other kind?"

     "Huh." For a momnet that stumped Fred. Gerald could almost hear his thoughts. This is worse than I thought. "Ok, then. Give the monkeys the rest of the peanuts and head for the airport. Your plane is fueling up as we speak."

     Gerald hadn't become succesful without learning how to adapt quickly to changing situations. He turned to his deer wise companion and asked, "Would you like to see Beijing?"

     Kim's mouth dropped open. "You mean in China? I don't have a passport."

     Gerald addressed Fred again while he stood, pulling Kim up next to him. "Use all your connections, I need a passport for Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu, along with the paperwork I need. Ring Elena and tell her to pack a luggage for two. She'll know what I'm talking about. We'ss fuel up and fly over tonight.

     "You're taking your housekeeper?" Fred asked incredulously.

     "Just do it." Gerald shut his phone. He held onto Kim's cold hand despite her attempts to tug it free. Bringing her with him made sense and taking action made him feel calmer, more in control of the situation.

     Kim held her gorund when he tried to pull her with him along th path. She dug her heels in until he was forced to turn around and look down at her.

     She is one stubborn woman.

     "I can't go to China. I have responsibilities here. Kam is sick..." Kim said in a rushed tones.

     Gerald brushed her concerns. "Elena sent a nanny from an agency over to help her while you were out today. We'll just her to stay."

     Simple enough. He tried to guide her forward, but she wasn't budging.

     "China?" I can't just go there...with not even a toothbrush," Kim said. Her hand fluttered with his, giving him the first indication that she wasn't as confident as she appeared.

     "We'll buy everything you nedd. Now come on," he said in a voice that made most businessmen rush to action and most women try to appease him.

     She did neither.

     "I can't..." she said again, not discouraged by his tone.

     Now is not the time for her adorable stubborn streak to rear its head. He'd already decided that he wasn't going to China without her.  Still outright ordering her had not been effective so far. He was going to have to try something else.

     He reached for her, drawing her fully against him. Desire quickly replaced resistance and proved to be an effective bargaining tool. "I want you to come. You know you want to come. Just this once, don't play it safe."

     "China?" she asked weakly, as if she was trying to remeber the topic of their discussion.

     Gerald swept down to taste the lips she'd moist in anticipation. Her quickly indrawn breath brushed her excited s against his chest. It was the best yes she could have given him; leaving them both trembling with desire, and him looking forward to the flight ahead.