Chapter 17

Love in Mysterious Ways

     Gerald made a sound of disbelief somewhere deep inside his chest. He sat bcak, crossing his ankle in front of him and folding his arms, a relaxed stance that did nothing to hide the tension pouring out of him. When that seemed to impress no one, he said harshly, "Just get to the point."

     Lara spun on him and snarled. "Yes, say it quickly so the great Gerald Anderson can get back to his own empire. You couldn't make the wake or funeral; it's amazing you were a able to fit us into your busy schedule at all."

     "I was out of the country," Gerald answered. but looked distinctly less comfortable.

     Luke tapped the will with his pen. "If you two could stop snapping at each other long enough, I'd like to explain the will."

     Gerald sat forward, muscles bunching at the older man's tone, but said nothing. Lara shifted in her seat like a child having been told to settle down, but also held her tongue. They turned their attention toward him. Kim wondered at their relationship with Luke since it was so obviously more than simply that of a family lawyer.

     "Your father changed his will last year when he had his first heart attack," Luke started blandly.

     "First?" Gerald asked. "I had no idea he was ill."

     "You wouldn't," Lara hissed.

     The lawyer continued, maintaining a professional calm, "He decided to leave what was left of his estate and his company, Andersons Ltd, net worth of about thirty million, entirely to Lara."

     That news was hardly worth the trip," Gerald mocked.

     Luke adjusted his tie nervously. "The addition to the will was the stipulation that you take the role as CEO of the company for no less than a year, Gerald. Refuse, and your sister's inheritance goes in a trust fund for various charities."

     Lara jumped to her feet. "You've got to be kidding! Papa and Gerald haven't talked in over ten years. Why would he put him in charge of everything?"

     The lawyer blanched painfully. "Anderson Ltd didn't think you could turn it around, Lara, since you've never been part of the business."

     Looking like she was about to pass out, Lara held onto the back of one of the tall chairs. She responded in almost a whisper. "Because he never let me." he wiped a defiant stray tear from her cheek. "How could he do this to me?" He knew I got my MBA and worked in the same field so I would be ready when this day came. I know more about the competition than even he did."

     Gerald stood. "Lara-"

     Lara jabbed a finger into his chest. "Oh, you must love this. First you destroy it and now you get to play the hero? No way! I didn't survive one dictator to put myself under the control of another."

     To Luke, Lara sadi, "You'll hear from my lawyers."

     Kim stood when she saw the blood leave Gerald's face. She took his hand in hers and the move seemed to enrage Lara. She turned to Kim and said, "I don't know who the hell you are, but for your sake, I pray my brother dumps you. Anderson men don't love, they own. Get out while you still have your self respect. Run before he crushes the life out of you."

     Gerald tensed beside her, but Kim only clung to his hand tighter. She could see the years of hurt on both sides was saddened that she didn't know how to help either of them reach across it.

     "I'll have my lawyers look over the will, Lara," Gerald said tersely.

     Shaking with anger, Kim adjusted her purse on her shoulder and began to walk out of the room. "Too little, too late." You're not the only one with powerful friends, Gerald. I'll have my lawyers contact you tomorrow, Luke." With that, she slammed the door behind her.

     After she had gone, Gerlad mocked, "Kim, this is my sister Lara. Lara, this is Kim."

     Kim looked sadly up at Gerald and her heart swelled with sympathy for him. "You should go after her."

     "It's fifteen years too late for that," he said almost to himself.

     Luke said, "She won't find a loophole, Gerald. You should help her stabilize your father's company, especially since you're the one

who brought it to the point of bankruptcy. You owe her that much."

     "You heard her, she doesn't want my help." His grip tightened on Kim's hand, but she didn't protest. This was also why she'd come.

     "You'd let her lose everything?" Luke asked.

     "I am not going to help save my father's company. If there is no way to break the will, I'll just give Lara some money. My father is not going to win just bacause..."

     Luke gathered some papers and shook hid head. "I guess life does come in full circle. Do what you want, Gerald, but your father finally had the best of intentions when he wrote this into the wwill."

     He nodded kindly to Kim, opened the door to the office and handed Gerald a copy of the will. "Show this to your lawyers, son, then come back to see me."

     Gerald took the papers even though he clearly didn't want to. He pulled Kim behind him through the door. She had to double step to keep up. "I won't be back," he said over his shoulder.

     "If you don't return, I'll know one for certain." Luke tossed back from the entrance of his office. Gerald stopped at the outer door, positively seething and glared back over his shoulder at the older man. Skidding to a halt behind him, Kim barely avoided slamming into Gerald at his sudden stop. She would have slipped her hand out of his, but his attention was frimly planted on the lawyer and no amount of squirming released his vice grip. "And what would that be?" Gerald ground out.

     Luke slid his glasses up the bridge of his nose and stated, "That you finally did become your father."