Chapter 16

Love in Mysterious Ways

     As Elena approached with a few dresses slung over one of her arms Kim said, "We were just...I mean nothing..." Elena waved her free hand and smiled. "You don't have to explain anything to me, dear."

     "I just don't want you to think..."

     "What I think Kim is that you're going to be good for Gerald."

     Kim didn't think her face could get redder.

     " I know. I know, " Elena quickly interjected. "I shouldn't have said anything. It's none of my business, but I like you. " She held a dark blue, much more conservative dress up. "Now, go try this dress on before Gerald wears a hole in the carpet from pacing out there."

     Kim wondered if Gerald had any idea how lucky he was to have Elena in his life. She reached over and gave Elena a spontaneous hug, before taking the blue dress from her. Elena adjusted her blouse and said, "Don't go getting all emotional on me, now," but her words didn't deny the pleased expression on her face.

    

     The playful mood of the morning was gone. Kim sat next to Gerald on a dark leather couch in the corner of an immense, book lined lawyer's office. She wanted to reach over and take his hand, but instead folded both of hers in her lap. kim didn't know how much about antiques, but the vase next to her was obviously quite old and probably worth a decade of her annual salary. She'd understood what Gerald had wanted at the boutique, but here, in his world, she wasn't sure what her role was.

     An older, mostly bald gentleman walked in. His casual gait halted just long enough for him to reveal and then quickly conceal his surprise that Gerald was not alone. With a nod that seemed meant for himself, the lawyer addressed them as he walked toward them.

     Gerald stood, but did not extend a hand of welcome.

     "Gerald," the man said with no sign of having taken offense to Gerald's cold greeting.

     Gerald seemed to straightened up at his familiarity. "Luke."

     "It's been a long time," the older man said and turned to collect a few papers from his desk before walking to a leather chair across from them.

     "Not long enough."

     "Still angry, I see." The observation held a hint of regret.

     "I'm not here to rehash the past. Where is my sister?" Gerald paced before the couch, his tension filling the room.

     "Her car just arrived downstairs."

     His regard moved from Gerald to Kim.

     She stood and accepted the handshake he offered.

     He said, "Luke Gonzales. Long time family attorney."

     "Kim Chiu." Unsure how to label herself, she left it there.

     He held onto her hand as if expecting more.

     "Secretary?" he finally said.

     "School teacher," she answered, breaking their connection and looking at Gerald's stiff profile. He was wound tight enough to pull a muscle. The lips that had gently caressed aand an hour before were compressed in anger.

     "Interesting." Luke said, looking from Kim to Gerald and back. He seemed poised to ask another question, but gerald stopped pacing and silenced the man with a simple raised eyeborw. Subtle body language for a man who looked like he wanted to hurt someone.

     "Please sit," Luke instructed.

     Gerald sad beside Kim and placed a hand on her knee, sending discouraging further questions.

     The lawyer nodded, flipped open the folder and began to organize the papers to piles on a small table between them.

     A tall, thin woman swept into the room in a huff. Both men stood immediately. Kim stood a second later, feeling unsure of her role in any of this.

     The woman greeted the lawyer warmly, then sat stiffly in the one remaining chair and brought the temperature of the room down about ten degrees with the look she gave Gerald. The resemblance between the two was striking, leaving a little doubt of their relationship. Gerald's sister wore her black hair pulled harshly back from her face. She was dressed in a female version of his power suit with simple, expensive shoes with only a hint of make up.

     "Lara," he said. Without taking his eyes off his sister, Gerald motioned for Kim to sit on the couch again. He sat beside her, but felt worlds away. Once again, Kim wondered how her presence could possibly help him. A man like him didn't need reassurance. He didn't look like he needed anyone or anything.

     "Can we just get this over with? the young woman spat and Kimfelt Gerald stiffen beside her.

     luke cleared his throat. He set two documents on the table before them. "Your father's will might surprise the two of you."