Chapter 13

Love in Mysterious Ways

     Kim turned from hanging up the phone to see Kam, baby Raine on one hip, shaking her head in amusement.

    Kam said, 'I don't believe it! Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu is engaging in reckless behaviour.'

    I deserve this, Kim thought. She'd lecture her sister about the right and wrong type of man countless times over the years. Before tonight, it had been easy to dismiss Kam's protests that a person couldn't choose who to be attracted to.

    But that was after Gerald.

    Rude, bossy, blackmailing Gerald. Just the thought of him sent a shiver of ual anticipation down her spine. Whatever illicit outing he had planned for her tomorrow, she had no intention of going - but that didn't mean that she couldn't indulge in a momentary fantasy.

    Kam shifted Raine onto her hip. "Was that really Gerald Anderson? The Gerald Anderson?"

    Kim wlaked past her sister and started to remove some of the clutter from the room. Kam's fever had finally relieved. Now perhaps the living room would stop looking like an infirmary. "Yes, it was. I told you I had met him."

    Kam followed her to the kitchen. "You did, but I think you forgot to mention a few things." Kim flushed.

   Her sister leapt on the onvoluntary response. "Well you obviously made a good impression on him if he wants to send a limo for you and you can't tell me you don't want to go -- you look positively smitten."

   Kim rinsed several glasses in the sink. She hoped her silence would discourage Kam, but her sister just waited patiently, not even attempting to hide her amusement. "Go ahead. Laugh it up. I deserve it. The guy is a complete , but..."

   "But you like him," her sister said.

   "Stupid, huh?"

   Kam's smile turned sympathetic. "No, surprisingly human of you."

   "What's that supposed to mean?"

    "It means ever since mom and dad died you've been so perfect." Kam moved closer and cradled Raine against her neck. "Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for how you've always taken care of me, but it's been hard living up to your expectations. It's just refreshing to see you like this."

   "I'm not going anywhere with him." Kim turned, folding her arms across her chest while resting back against the counter.

    "Because rich man come knocking on our door everyday?"

   "I don't care about his money."

    Kam nodded, "Ok, but look me in the eye and tell me that you don't want to go."

    Kim hopped up on the counter, something she hadn't done since childhood, leaned her head back against the wooden cabinet and closed her eyes. She knew the stupid smile is back on her face. "You should have seen him. He came in looking so rough on the outside, but there was a real sadness in his eyes. I just wanted to comfort him. Then he looked at me and - I was on fire. I've never felt that way before. It doesn't make any sense."

    "Who said relationships are supposed to? I mean, besides you. No matter well you plan, you can't dictate who you are going to be attracted to. Why don't you give this guy a chance?" Kam wagged a finger as her sister was about to voice her first reason.

    "Don't even pretend this is about my job."

    Kim had the grace to look ashamed. "Sorry about that Kam. I'll find you another job."

    Kam didn't look as upset about the prospect as she had earlier. "Don't change the subject. What do you have against this guy?"

    "Aside from the  background check he did on me?"

     Kam shrugged. "Rich people are weird. I was reading on eof those financial magazines and they listed him as one of the top fifty most powerful men in the world. Cut the man some slack. He's probably just being careful." Kam's smile turned knowing as their roles reversed.

    One of the most powerful men? Kim gulped nervously. "I'm scared, ok?" If you can't be honest with yourself, at least be honest with your sister.

    "No, really?" Kam rolled her eyes.

    "Shut up." Kim teased, amazed that the tension was often part of their discussions was not present. Kim remembered a time, years ago, when they had bantered like this about boys.

    "So, one of the richest men on the planet is sending a limo for you tomorrow morning and you're not goingnto get in it?" Kam challenged.

    Kim hopped off the counter and resumed washing the dishes. "Exactly. I'm going to ..."

    "Hide," Kam finished her sentence for her. She shifted Raine up in front of her and spoke to her daughter. "Raine, Auntie Kim has been taking care of me for so long that she is afraid to do something for herself.  We're going to have to stop relying on her so much or she's never going to get laid."

    Kim gasped, "You can't say that to Raine!"

    Kam laughed, "She's five months old. She doesn't understand what I'm saying, but I hope you do." Kam moved to lean on the counter next to Kim. "Seriously, I'm not worried about the job. I know I can find another like it easily enough and before long I'll have my degree. You've done more than anyone could have asked you to, but it is time for you to start living a little. This guy sounds like your way to jumpstart the next phase of your life."

    Running shaky hands under the water, Kim asked, "Which phase is that?"

    Kam put an arm around her shoulder. "The one where you stop parenting me and simply become my sister again."

    Kim's eyes filled with tears. "Was I so awful?"

    Her sister hugged her closer, "No, but it's nice to have you back."

     Twenty minutes later Kim was flipping blindly through the educational letter when Kam entered the room wit the cordless phone in her hand. Lost in her thoughts , Kim hadn't heard it ring.

    "Kim, it's for you." Kam said with a wicked grin and held out the phone. "It's Mr.Anderson's PA. Hmmmm, wonder what she wants."