Chapter 19

Love in Mysterious Ways

     Not giving him time to plan his strategy, Kim threw her door open, sprinted onto the sidewalk and announced over her shoulder, "So do I!"

     Upon his return, Ggerald flung the rear door of the limo open before his driver could scramble to get it for him. He grunted in response to Kim's triumphant smile. She had already given the driver directions to their destination and was loving every moment of her victory.

     As luck would have it, she'd shopped in that very mall a few days earlier and impulsively tried on an expensive designer pair of jeans. They hugged her curves as if made for her. since they weren't practical, she hadn't purchased them, but today she'd snatched them off the rack with confident. She added a maroon v neck shirt that revealed just enough of her cleavage to make most men take a second look and dashed for her favorite brand of sneakers; determined to not only win this race, but look damn good doing it.

     Gerald climbed in and slid onto the seat next to her, appearing less than pleased with the outing. "Do you know that no amount of money will raise the IQ of a teen clerk? What kind of department store store hides veryone above the age of twenty from the public?"

     "Don't be a sore loser, Gerald. You never had a chance." Kim patted his jean-clad knee in mock sympathy and snatched her hand back in response to jolt of attraction she felt from that brief touch. If she'd been hoping that he'd less be appealing in casual clothing, she couldn't have been wrong. His dark blue cotton t-shirt revealed his natural athletic build and flat stomach.

     He grabbed her hand and placed  it back on is thigh, holding it neatly captive beneath his much larger one. "Why do I get the feeling that you cheated?"

     She let out a shaky breath. Remembering her original reasons for the day's outing was proving difficult when all she could think about was her body's reaction to their one point of contact. Her stomach quivered with an anticipation she was beginning to associate with any proximity to Dominic. "You're a businessman, Are you above using a natural advantage to win?"

     He slid her hand up his thigh an inch, his breath quickening along with her own. "When it comes to winning, there isn't much I wouldn't do."  He leaned toward her, close enough for a kiss, but stopped before their lips met as if he were debating something with himself.

     She said, "You sound like you're warning me."

      He released her hand and with very little effort, he turned to lift her so she was facing him, straddling him, in the seat. "You made your choice an hour ago. I just don't want you to imagine this is more than it is." he held her still with one hand on either hip. "Or that changing your mind is an option."

     She sat back, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "So may threats. Haven't you heard of the honey and vinegar adage?"

     "That's never been my msxim. Not then, not now. You're the here only because I threatened your sister's livelihood." His right hand caressed upwards until his thumb rested just below the swell of her .

     Kim almost laughed, but gazing down at him, she realized he was serious. She put a reassuring hand on one of his well-muscled shoulders. "Do I look like a woman who was blackmailed into being with you today?"

     His eyes darkened to near black as an inner storm raged. "No, but you do look the kind of woman who should run from a man like me."

     There was such a pain in his expression, she leaned down and pressed a kiss to his forehead rather than lips. She whispered, "I'm not worried."

     With both hands on her sides, he leaned her back so he could see her expression. "You should be." He shifted her hips forward so she could feel his excitement throb through their denim.

     Kim rubbed herself against him, reveling in the way his thighs tightened and his hands moved to halt her hips, as if he feared his reaction if she continued. She said, "Maybe you should be, too."

     He put a hand behind her neck and pulled her in a kiss. Kim tasted him hungrily. Everyone deserved one night so good the memory of it would bring a secret smile decades later. She just hoped her surprise destination didn't break the mood.

     "Why are you smiling?" he demanded between kisses.

     Kim rested her head on his shoulder, trying to regain some self-control. "I'm wondering how you are going to like where we are going."

     He slid a thumb beneath the lace edge of her bra. "Oh, I like it."

     "That's not what I meant." Kim said and playfully pushed his hand away. "Stop. I can't think when you do that."

     The markers on te side of the road warned that they were not far from their destination. An hour ago, she'd been confident in her choice. Now she could barely think from wanting him and the whole idea seemed silly.

     Gerald's chest rumbled with a pleasant chuckle, his hands beginning to wander again. "And that's a problem?"

      "No. Yes." Kim shook her head and caught his hands in hers. "I didn't pick the kind of place you're imagining."

     He pulled her close again, his breath hot on her neck as he said, "I don't care where we spend today, but I'll choose tonight."

     The dividing window lowered and the driver's amused voice halted further exploration. "We're here sir. Tagaytay's Natural Park & Zoo."