Chapetr 5

Love in Mysterious Ways

     Kim thought it would be unlikely that she would ever see him again after today. One quick meal won't hurt. Then she would be back to the quiet, predictable life she'd built for herself.

     The hot shower he'd taken in a bathroom that could easily fit into one of the closets at any number of his homes, had been refreshing and brief. As he toweled dry, he fought off teenage-like excitement. He couldn't wipe off that smile on his face! He wondered what his maid was doing...and that was like about every ten seconds or so...

     She wasn't the magazine cover type, he groaned as he remembered what he told her. Real smooth. He could blame it to the fatigue but it had more to do with the way she filled out her jeans. She is lushly rounded in the places women were meant to be rounded. Her light complexion, those simple dark brown curls..Nothing about her should have floored him but when she'd pinned him down with those dark brown bambi eyes, he'd almost stopped breathing. She looked innocent and wholesome. Exactly the kind of woman he normally avoided.

     Would she stay for the night?  He ran an impatient comb through his hair, threw a khaki slacks, a white cotton button down shirt and forced himself to walk rather than bolt back downstairs to check if she's still there.

     He knew he is attractive but it had been a long time since a woman had looked through his reputation and his wealth and seen him. Not only had his maid been unimpressed by his expensive clothing, she'd actually taken him to task for his behaviour. Aside from Fred's recent rant, he couldn't remember the last person who had. And he liked it.

     The woman downstairs either had no idea who he was or she was using this pretense to heighten his interest in her. Either way, it is working.

     She was kneeling on a cushion next to his old marble coffee table, opening takeout containers. At his approach, she looked up and for a moment appeared to reconsider her decision to stay. She stood quickly but held her ground as he came to a deleberately very close stop.

    Damn, she smelled good.