Chapter 7

Love in Mysterious Ways

     Gerald reached for her again, but Kim evaded him this time. Whatever connection they sahred had clearly broken at the mention of her career. He scolded himself for stupidly mentioning it.

     'I have to go,' Kim sidestepped a wide circle around him, trying to get to the door before him.

     'Stay. I know this is crazy. I've always made sure to clear of...'

     'Dating the maid?' Kim suggested, her tone full of judgement it held earlier.

     'Yes, but only because I never wanted to put anyone in an awkward position...' Gerald acknowledged the irony of his words as he tried to get between her and the door. Somehow this was different. She was different.

     'How nice of you,' she spoke.

     'I don't care that you're a maid. It doesn't matter.'

     'It matters to me.'

     He blocked her exit. She couldn't leave. Not like this.

     'Stay.'

     'I can't.' I really have to go.' Kim trying to persuade Gerald.

     'What I want is for you to stop blocking the door!' she declared.

     His hands fell to his side and he stepped out of her way. She couldn't mean that. 'Why deny it? You want me as much as I want you.'

     Kim brushed past him and into the the door without a glance back. Her voice sounded more desperate than angry, 'I told you I'll stay to share a meal with you, nothing more.'

     Her attraction to Gerald hadn't been his imagination. She enjoyed that kiss as much as he had. First hot, then cold. Was it all a game? If so, it was one that he had no intention of losing.

     He knew of one way to to find out her real intention.

     'Would you like to stay for ten thousand dollars?' he asked.

     He felt a stab of disappointment when she stopped before opening the door and turned back to face him. 'Do you think I'm for sale?'

     He hoped not.

     'How about a hundred thousand?' Gerald forced the words out.

     'Is it because I'm a maid that you can talk to me this way?' Her hands were back on her hips, eyes flashing with fury, which only made her more beautiful.

     The final test. 'You're a shrewed bargainer. A million. I've never met a woman who was worth that amount of money, but I suspect I won't regret tonight.'

     She opened the door with one hand and said, 'You're a pig, an egotistical pig! If you even have a million dollars, I suggest you roll it up and stick it up your...' the last word was lost beneath the sound of door slamming behind her.

     He has a pretty good idea where she suggested he put it.

     His chuckle blossomed into a full, hearty laugh until he was wiping wetness around his eyes. The release of tension felt good. Damn, that one incredible woman. Looking back over the evening, he gave into more laughter as he settled back into one of the cushions by the coffee table and filled his plate with fried rice.

     She'd be back. He'd made sure of that.

 

 

'