A Blur

Still Alive

 

“ Here are the things you asked for. Now, what’s the reason for me having to trek all the way out here ?”

 

 

“It’s hard to explain,” she said as she left the room, her voice echoing down the hall. “Come now, no games Noa, please!” Jo hesitantly threw his coat over a chair at the table. “ I haven’t got too much time,” he called,  brushing loose snow off his pants. He looked up as he heard her footsteps come into the room, confused at the unfamiliar face she had brought with her.

 

 

“ May I ask who this might be?”

 

 

“His name is Ji,” she said, pausing to look at her companion” ..at least, that’s what he remembers.” “ He doesn’t remember his name? That’s ridiculous-” “He really doesn’t,” she interrupted, “ or anything else.”  “What is all this Noa? I came to visit you several days ago and in such a short time you’ve got a stranger living with you?” 

 

Noa sighed, looking back to Ji. “ Sit down, and I’ll tell you everything that’s happened.”

 

___________________________________________________________

 

“So, by what you’ve said so far, the day after I visited you, you went up the mountain, and miraculously found him ..encased in a thick layer of ice?” Noa nodded, fidgeting with her hands. “ I can’t explain it, but it was like he was put there for some purpose. I knew I had to get him out before he froze to death. He would of had no where to go, and I doubt he would’ve survived.” “Fascinating,” Jo said, the stubble on his chin as he stared at Ji.

 

“ You said aswell, that he can’t speak?”

 

Noa nodded again, “ He doesn’t talk, but he listens. I’m really hoping though, that I can do something to trigger his memory,  and he’ll remember how to speak again.”  Jo leaned back in his chair, his eyes wandering from side to side; searching for an answer. “Well,” he said, setting his arm back down on the table,” I really have no possible explanation for this.” “ Promise you won’t tell the goverment,” she pleaded,” If you do, they’ll take him away from me for testing.. o-or something as equally torturous, I know it! ” “Now, Noa,” Jo began,” I can’t guarantee my silence, but I’m positive they won’t take him away and do such things you mentioned, I’m sure.” 

 

 No...no she said I’d be safer here. I believe her, not you! I-I don’t trust you one bit!  Who do you think I am?!

 

 

 Noa looked onto Ji as she saw his expression turn into something she hadn’t seen before. His eyes, staring intensely into Jo’s, a heated rage building up inside. Noa gently touched his arm. “ Something wrong?” The words hit something deep inside him. His  vision became cloudly, and it was if time had shot him forward, sending him into an unfamilar place.. 

 

 

 The sun shone bright through the windows of a nearly empty room. Boxes filled with personal belongings were strewn about, as well as the noticable empty bottles of alcohol that seemed to pile up. A man lay passed out on the cold hard wood floor,  his head buried in his arms. He slept peacefully, yet there was an aura of distress in the air. The knocks of the door echoed about the desolate space, causing the man to stir in his sleep. “Yaah, are you there?!” the voice called.

 

  Slowly, he hoisted himself up from the floor, rushing to cease the visitor’s loud bangs. “Why are you sleeping in here, when you’re moving out tomorrow?” his guest asked, “ You should be staying at a hotel..or with me at least. Somewhere to get you out of all this stress.” The man’s friend looked onto him, noticing his tired face as he raked a hand through his hair. “

 

Hey.. something wrong?” 

 

 

“Ji?” 

 

He snapped back to reality, coming to focus on the worried face of Noa before him. What had just happened?  His head was pounding as he looked at his surroundings. He looked down, realizing she was touching his arm. “ Are you alright?” He quickly nodded, trying to calm her nerves. “ You blanked out there for some time,” Jo chuckled, relieved that Noa’s companion was okay. “ You scared me,” Noa said, clutching his arm. A smile formed on Ji’s lips, reassuring her it was fine. “Well, its about time I left.” Jo said , standing up from the chair. “ Enjoy those clothes, Ji,” he said, throwing on his coat,” you’re gonna have to keep warm around here.” “ Take care Jo! ” With a wave, Jo opened the door to the cold wind, and left the house. 

 

 

_________________________________________________________

 

 

More visions began to invade Ji’s mind as he slept. Restless,  he tossed in his sleep, trying to make sense of what was happening to him..

 

“Nothing,” he said,” This whole thing is just taking a toll on me.” “I can tell,” his friend replied, looking past to view the bottles of beer that were tossed about,“ But it’s why you’re moving out. Out with the old and in with the new. You said so yourself you needed a new start, am I right?” “ Mhm.” “ This is one step closer to a new beginning for you then.” His friend patted him on the back, “ You can rest a bit easier now...” 

 

 

Ji shot up from his sleep, looking about the dark house, the snowfall casting shadows on the floor through the windows. He had problems sleeping before, but not quite like this.

 

Who are they?

 

He couldn’t come to a conclusion. Standing up from the couch, he went to one of the windows. Squinting , he gazed out into the vast landscape covered with the layers of snow. He heard the wind howl, quickly transitioning into what seemed like an agonizing cry.  Lonliness was all he ever felt when he looked out into the snow. He was lost, his heart  black and blue. Struggling to become whole again, but pieces he so badly needed were misplaced. He closed his eyes, as if listening for something. It came soon enough ; faint, but beautiful.. 

 

 

 

The laughter of a girl echoing in his ears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I have returned! My internet is back up and I am so happy I can continue writing! Almost a week in a half since I last posted D: Did you guys miss me? I hope you were all greatly anticipating this chapter. Things are taking a turn now, hm? Until the next update! 

 

    

Cheriamb