World in Turmoil

Still Alive

"It's been a while since the catastrophic event took place. What was once a lush green paradise , with blue skies stretching far as man could see. What we called home, has now dissapeared into the unkown, leaving behind destruction and barren wasteland for what is, the last of the human race.."

May 14th, 2045

The winter hasn't ceased.

Several colonies have died out

only 11 cities still remain on the map. 

 

  Noa Kim scratched the words in her tiny journal, the radio blaring throughout her house. It was always like this.  Hearing the announcer's distrought words through the wooden box, brought more pain to her already agonized heart. Crosslegged on the hardwood, she sketched a small snowy landscape, similar to what weather raged on day and night. She would imagine that her drawings of the snow would come to life as the wind howled outside the windows. At least it gave her something to smile about, now in this dead world. 

  Day had quickly begun to fade, and the winds grew louder, more sinister than before. She shivered at the draft, dropping her journal to warm her freezing shoulders. Afraid of death, she couldn't give up, yet couldn't go on any longer. Her eyes, fixed on the photograph of her parents that had begun to age over the years, hung on the wall near the kitchen. The only memory left of her family ; forgetting every day, that she was alone. She pulled herself up with every ounce of strength in her weak body, walking to one of the frost covered windows cautiously, fearing a concoction of ice and shards might break through and strike her dead . She pressed her nose on the glass, making steam from her soft breathing, looking up into the sky. Black night, as it always was,  asking herself why she had hoped to see the stars, for they were never there. A suprising thing caught her eye, through the thick fall of the snow. A ray of light, a shooting star she prayed. Was it a sign that life would begin again? Closing exhausted eyes, she made a wish. 

"Give me something.. or someone to be with, so we could at least enjoy each other's company, that we'd not be alone in this empty space. If not, there's surely nothing left for me to live for-" 

A knock of the door started the tired girl, setting her small dog rushing into the room. He barked furiously as she proceeded to gently push him out of the way, keeping the harsh weather from tumbling into the house as she opened the door to a familiar face. "Ah, Noa, so good to see your face again. May I come in?" 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

  "What can I help you with, Mr. Jo?" The man, heavily blanketed with snow, peeled of his coat at the door. "No need to address me like that. Just checking in as always, you being alone in this house and all." Noa cracked a smile, retreiving a box of tea bags from a cupboard. "Do you want some?" "No, no I'm quite alright thank you." Mr. Jo watched as she set the kettle of water on the stove, igniting a flame. "So really, Jo, why'd you come  all the way out here." She took a seat opposite him at the wooden table in the middle of the room. A deep sigh espcaped his lips. "I'm just worried about you, Noa. I've begged you to come live with me in the city." She rested her chin on her hand, looking around her home, then back to him. "Honestly, I really can't live anywhere else. It's all I have left of- well what once was still here." "Aish, Noa, I know. Everyone feels this way. The numbers of colonies are shrinking by the day. From what I've observed, it seems as if things will only get much worse.." "And there's no where to run," Noa added, standing up from her chair to retreive her hot water,"If I am set to die, I'd rather have death in this house, with the memory of the ones I loved." Jo shook his head as she poured tea into a mug. The girl was a wreck, she needed someone in her life to keep her going. "If you keep thinking such terrible thoughts, your whole being will die from lonliness." She traced her fingers around the edge of the mug."I'm fine , please.. just believe me." Jo's expression grew more concerned, but wanted to respect her wishes. "Alright," he said, throwing back on his coat. With shoes clipping on the floor, proceeding to leave, he stopped. "Please, just take care of yourself." Nothing more was said, as he took his leave. 

 As much as she wanted to deny it, he was right

 Pain shot through her body as she collapsed onto her bed, not bothering to pull up the blankets. For she felt the cold comforting, in the lonely world that was her own. Constant wishing, and prayers engulfed her mind, as she slowy drifted into sleep. Maybe tomorrow would be the day that life began again.