Chapter 25 - My Boys...

Breaking From Seclusion

Instantly Zelo’s thin long arms enclosed around my waist as Yongguk and I entered the café. Yongguk’s contrasting strong arms wrapped around the both of us creating a veil of comfort and security. Zelo’s cries were filled with so… so much pain, my heart already began to ache. The overwhelming feeling to take away every problem, every weight from him and place it as my own overtook me.

“Eomma… appa” his voice muffled by my sweater.

“It’ll be okay… appa and eomma love you” I cooed.

He shook his head, “Jonguppie’s hurt”

I released from the hug to look at Jongup, he had a black eye and looked like he was in a lot of pain due to his dislocated shoulder.

“I have an idea” Yongguk said, “let’s go outside”

We gave him a questioning look but in the end, all made our way outside. I was still holding onto Zelo’s hand trying to calm his sniffles while Yongguk looked at Jongup strangely. In one swift move he took a hold of the younger’s arm and twisted in backwards resulting in a rather large pop that echoed off the brick building walls.

“!” Jongup’s voice cracked, and he immediately hit the ground.

“JONGUPPIE!” Zelo ran to the older, crouching to comfort.

“Yongguk?!” I began to panic.

“Just watch” he said grinning.

A minute later Jongup got off the cement; the what seemed like permanent worry marks from his forehead were now gone while he rotated his shoulder rubbing it gently.

“I popped it back into place, it hurts like hell, but it’s the only way to really handle it… feel better man?” Yongguk smiled that ridiculous gummy smile.

“Hell yeah… thanks”

“Jonguppie!” Zelo hugged Jongup smiling now that his world was starting to get better, but instantly his smile turned into a frown, “But… b-but where am I supposed to live?”

“I think I can sneak him into my dorm” Jongup offered.

“No, he will be living with Yongguk” I justified.

“Appa!?” the maknae looked at the oldest, hands clasped.

“Neee~” Yongguk’s voice vibrated.

“Wahhh!” Zelo clapped and ran to hug Yongguk.

“Hah, don’t get too excited now kid. I’m your appa it’s not gonna be all fun and games. Plus no boyfriend over past 10.” He grinned.

“10?!?!” Jonglo said in unison.

I laughed at their worry; so cute.

“And no otherwise I’ll cut off Jongup’s-”

“Yongguk!” I scolded while Jonglo blushed, “That’s enough!”

Yongguk just laughed and pulled me in by my waist like he always does when trying to recover from saying something stupid.

“I’m just playin baby”

I rolled my eyes.

 

 

We drove to Yongguk’s apartment, and honestly, I was excited to see where my boyfriend lived.

Yongguk lived in a rather small building, only four floors – he lived on the third. The building was fairly nice and had a welcoming feel and was also located in a what seemed like safe neighborhood. Yongguk put his key in the door and turned the turner revealing his apartment.

“Welcome to the bachelor pad…” he laughed sarcastically throwing his keys on his table.

There was a lot of… empty space, large but empty. It was simplistic; a black leather couch, a flat screen television, a plastic coffee table, and several non-cushioned chairs surrounding a red wood dining table. So typical of a once single man… typical Yongguk.

“Not much into decorating are you Gukkie?” I joked.

Yongguk just laughed while motioning us to follow him down the hallway; we obliged.

“So there’s two bedrooms, the one is empty so I’ll need to find you a bed Zelo, but for now you can sleep in my room.”

“Can I sleep with appa?” Zelo said shyly. I watched him fiddle his thumbs, I swear Zelo loves sleeping with Yongguk more than I do…That’s my boy…

“Nee” Yongguk grinned hugging the youngest playfully.

“And what about you baby? Can you stay with us?” Yongguk almost whined towards me while pulling me into a hug.

“I-I should really go home”

Yongguk’s face immediately turned from a suggestive grin to a flat frown.

“Don’t give me that face!”

“Hyung, aegyo doesn’t really fit you” Jongup laughed.

“YAH! No one asked you!” Yongguk went for Jongup causing the latter to flinch.

“Please eommaaaa” Zelo whined.

I couldn’t say no to Zelo, especially with what he was currently going through. Though I had to admit, I was very thankful for Jongup for being such a great boyfriend and Yongguk for being a good “father”. In this time of havoc we could help ease the pain and help Zelo almost forget about what had just happened… or at least distract him.

“Of course honey” I smiled and Zelo attached to me into his once again, bone crushing hug.

“Okay kid you’re killing my Himchan” Yongguk laughed.

“My Himchan hyung” Zelo squeezed even more, my breathe fading, but honestly I loved it.

 

Soon enough day faded to night, Jongup went back to his dorm, and I had been officially roped into staying at Yongguk’s apartment. We sat in his dismal dining area while enjoying some Chinese takeout we ordered an hour ago. The atmosphere was a little too quiet while the smell of fried foods lingered in the air. I took a quick glance towards Zelo to see his hands in his lap, staring down past his food.

“Zelo honey, you need to eat” I cooed.

“M-mianhae” his voice cracked while he stood up, “I-I’m sorry I’m just a b-burden… I should be a-able t-to take care of my-myself. I-I just c-can’t. I keep on failing at growing up!” Zelo bawled. He curled his right hand into a fist and wiped his misty eyes pushing away from the table and running into the empty bedroom.

“Zelo-ah!” I wanted to cry with him… I knew how hurt he was…but I couldn’t cry. I needed to stay strong for him.

I looked at Yongguk and he gave me a reassuring nod as we both left our Chinese takeout bowls at the table target set for the empty bedroom.

The crying only got louder and louder as we took each step towards the bedroom; each step a stake driving deeper into my heart. Yongguk went in first, no hesitation, going in confident to help. I was thankful for him, thankful he was here… he was much stronger than me; I still wanted to curl up next to Zelo and cry with him…

I walked in after Yongguk after taking a deep breath preparing myself for what was to come.

“Zelo-ah” Yongguk voice was hoarse.

“I’m s-sorry Yongguk hyung, I’m s-s-s-or-ry Himchan hyung. I fail. I fail I fa-ail I fail” He cried into his hands.

I immediately ran and crouched next to him within the empty room. I wrapped my arm around his skeletal shoulders to receive his blue head of hair buried in the crook of my neck. I bit my lip to hold back my own tears (once again) as Yongguk took both of us into his arms.

“Listen Zelo. I’m only gonna say this once so listen up” Yongguk commanded. Zelo looked up to face a serious Yongguk, “Himchan and I love you very much. We are here to help you through thick and thin. We both have come to a mutual agreement that we are your caretakers now, especially while you get through high school. You are anything but a failure, you are our son” he smiled, “You stay here as long as you need, we love you. This is your home now.”

Zelo cried even more and clasped on to Yongguk, “Gomawayo hyung… th-th-thank you s-so-so much”

 

 

An hour later Zelo had cried himself to sleep; Yongguk carried him to his bed. He placed the long frail peaceful body on the mattress and smiled. I followed his lead as the two of us sprawled across the bed cuddling the youngest. We sat there for a few minutes admiring our “son”.

“He’s looks so peaceful” I smiled.

I heard Yongguk grunt a response, his eyes closed – probably falling asleep. I rolled my eyes.

Taking the opportunity to leave, I started to roll out of bed remembering the Chinese takeout needed to be put away.

“Eomma” Zelo whined half asleep.

“Baby” Yongguk whined almost more both wanting me to stay.

“Oh stop… I’ll be back in a minute” I giggled softly.

I went to the kitchen and cleaned up the mess. It was nice to get my mind off the situation at hand for a few minutes, but reality came back to me as I re-entered the bedroom and instantly… instantly I beamed.

“My boys…” I whispered to myself admiring the two on the bed.

Zelo’s tall limber body was curled into a catlike ball directly next to Yongguk, while Yongguk was lazily sprawled across three-fourths the bed snoring lightly with his shirt riding up revealing his signature wispy black happy trail. The two were a sight to see.

They were… my boys.