--13[❂]

Officially Friendzoned

cr : ohbaekhyuns


‘Can you spare a minute with me Rong?' 

The time has come, the moment he’s been waiting for.

This could really be it.

“Sure Joonie, what’s this all about?” Chorong smiled in response, He was about to protest on dropping the embarrassing nickname she grew accustomed on calling him, but what mattered most was he’s about to tell her the biggest secret he had kept. Since the day he saw her in his world in a totally different perspective, of different worth, a value that no one else had come across with. Well he wasn’t exactly going to tell her everything but, he had to make it obvious to her on how he really feels right?

With the spark of nervousness and excitement with his upcoming confession, and with the crowded sidewalks in the campus premises, he took her by the hand. It wasn’t an awkward gesture for the two of them, since they were used to each other’s presence and skin-ship.

Their normal way of holding hands is different from how it appears when other people do it. In their way, it is done with Joonmyeon’s hand is enclosed around hers, their fingers aren’t intertwining. Similar to how a parent held the hand of a young child. Chorong mostly felt like a kid every time they do this.

“What’s with the hurry? I’m on my free period there’s no hassle” she reassured him with a light squeeze of his hand, somehow giving Joonmyeon a rush, causing his cheeks to tint a red shade in a matter of seconds.

“Y-yeah, let’s just get nomnoms while we’re at it” he returned to his senses with a smile.

“And hearing you say nomnoms is quite a creepy thing to hear” she chuckled, her nose crinkling at the gesture.

“Who says, being a council president makes me inhumane?”

“Your dongsaengs.” she whispered, leaning close to his ear before letting out another small giggle.

“You are all mean. I crave for barbaric eating once in a while too you know” he pouted, the girl just chucked out more unpoised laughs.

“Joonie, stop dreaming on being aegyo-filled. Gross.” She cringed though a smile remained visible on her face.

The giddy sensation permeates through him as another second passes by, wishing their walk to the nearest place to sit will take longer.

With her hand  in his, walking in a fine sunny afternoon where he decided to lay off his responsibilities and chose to be with the girl he missed the most. And he wouldn’t let fate play its trick to make him miss a chance of professing his love.

He decides not to abruptly blow it all on her though.

So how does he plan on doing this?

 

The Art of being Subliminal by Kim Jongin ft. Kim Namjoo

 

sub·lim·i·nal
/səˈblimənl/
:  inadequate to produce a sensation or a perception
:  existing or functioning below the threshold of consciousness

 

“You must be mysterious!” Kim Jongin spat in excitement.

“Yes! Be something that unnie will be intrigued of” Kim Namjoo adds in, making the older one flinch at her sudden appearance.

“Like some sort of Clark Kent that seemed so harmless and gentle on the outside but there’s something strong beneath the lens, the suit and tie!”

“I… can you be a little more direct”

“ah yes and be direct—well, not straight to the point, but there’s some sense of romanticism and neutrality in your words”

"Oppa, Imagine like you're telling your heart to her but there's a double meaning vibe to it!"

“be…”

“subliminal~” both Kim Jongin and Kim Namjoo said in a hushed tone, with Jongin putting on a cool pose, while namjoo who had her lips pouted at the pronunciation of the word. Their backs leaned onto each other, like they were some secret agents in spy-themed movies.

The older couldn’t fathom the sudden weirdness of the two cousins. It must’ve run in their genes.

“You kids are creeping me out.” was all he could say in a discomforted smile, seeing them quite ecstatic on explaining. 

"Hyung! Pay attention, you should know this because It's one of the most effective method!" Kai broke out of his pose, and leaned to him with a wide-eyed stare and his hands clapping together at his face. 

"Oppa, I can assure you that in all the k-dramas I've watched. This is going to make girls be more drawn to you, You see a majority in women of today prefer this type of guy. Girls always wanted to be that person in a man's life that will cause him to change" Namjoo bumped Jongin off the side, with a reassuring nod and a pair of another wide eyes staring straight at him.

"But Namjoo, Hyung isn't a bad-boy type. I think those bad boys are one of the mediocre things they like putting in" Jongin antagonizes in whiny tone, rubbing the side of his hip.

"Now don't you get me started..."


Their debate was another story....
 

He knew that those two young Kims had been fans of their pairing, and probably waiting so badly for he and Chorong to end up together. Like what has been happening the past years, so much of their friends have been supportive on his feelings for Chorong. It’s just that, they lack the initiative to back him up on every situation, or in some unfortunate seasons they magically disappear.

They’d usually tell him to be “a man enough” to face Chorong himself. It’s a now or never mindset that they always like on hammering at him.

It was never like those on Korean dramas that even friends meddle on their friend’s love-life. He sees the rest of his friends including the girls’ side, performing poorly over that role. When all the while the very person he’s in love is would be the most rigorous one on doing such things. If his life were to be reenacted as a k-drama, viewers would see him as a “Poor Unfortunate Soul”.  

But this time, being certain of what he really feels and what he really wants, this could be the coming plot twist of his story.

“I should keep this subliminal first” he whispered to himself.

---

 “Chorong.”

“Joonmyeon”

“I’m being serious now get rid of that stupid face.” Joonmyeon ran his palm against the girl’s face, making her squirm and slap his hand away.

“If you really are serious, then act like you are.” She grumpily fixes her newly cut fringes.

He just stared and watched her fingers sort the strands over her forehead, though Chorong was absorbed at the manner she spoke:

“Stop staring at my bangs! You’re making me regret that I had this done” with her lips jutting out a small pout, making the male snort and shake his head in amusement.

Now at their senior year, these folks have decided to make some small modifications with their appearances. Chorong slimmed down through the years, frequently hanging out with the “gym-freaks” comprised of some friends over the girls’ dormitory. The baby fat on her cheeks lessened, her figure seemed to have taken more shape making her appear more mature and refined according to Joonmyeon. Though he never really fell for her looks in the first place, he’s getting that feeling that any moment he’d have another reason to fall hard for this girl.

Now about his physical changes…

“Are you planning on being a buff?” Chorong suddenly set her skeptical look on Joonmyeon from head to toe.

From her viewpoint, she noticed his arms right away. Those must be the “guns” people say of, and much to her curiosity, her small hands found its way onto holding it. Suho smirked at this, anticipating a reaction that somehow would be the same from all the people who noticed his increased built.

“This does not match your blonde hair Joonie, nuh-uh” she clucked her tongue, and shook her head shortly after dropping her hand to the side.

“You’re bluffing Park Chorong”

“No I’m not”

“Well how can you like Chris Evans and not like this face and hair that comes close to it” he referred to himself in a slightly arrogant manner.

“I never asked you to be blonde Heol—Joonie If my short lived infatuation of you had continued I would have swooned at you everyday” her hands up, nearly on the sides of her own face as she explained.

Kim Joonmyeon suddenly replayed her words through his head.

Did he just hear that correctly?

Infatuation.

Park Chorong was Infatuated with him.

Is fate suddenly starting to play on him right now?

 

"Yo-You're bluffing Park Chorong" he repeats, and he's finding it hard to look at her in the eye after the sudden confession.

He tensed when Chorong fixed her sitting posture over the bench they sat on, facing him fully. Though now they faced each other, his gaze kept diverting, causing the girl to sigh loudly. 

"Okay, I think I just said something that Is never really my plan on telling you but I guess I shouldn't hide such things anymore. This is a small confession but please, don't freak out on what you're about to hear...And I hope this doesn't affect our friendship" she too had her eyes averting somewhere but then she quickly lands her eyes back on him once she caught him glancing.

Joonmyeon's pupils dilated for a moment but he relaxes quickly, giving full attention to what she's about to tell. 

"So, this silly crush you're saying...are you finally professing your love for me?" he asked with haughty eyes while rubbing his chin. 

"Aish! Cut that out! You are getting gross as this day progresses." she laughs and mercilessly whacked him on the head.

"You don't have to be so violent" Joonmyeon's voice creaking in pain.

"But you're making me conscious and awkward! Oh my God I cannot believe I am actually telling you this!" she said in exasperation, and starts on patting her cheeks that grew red ever since her tongue slipped. 

Joonmyeon just smiled, finding her actions to be adorable. She hasn't been like this in front of her before. It was certainly a new side of Chorong he's seen. In some time he had daydreamed of her acting shyly around him, a girl getting all flustered when a man confesses his love for her. He just had to hold that thought and focus back on the reality that is occurring right now.

"Park Chorong hwaiting!" he cheered, raising his hands to flap it up and down, making that improvised fan to help her ease up.

This immediately sent her giggling, her eyes turning into crescents. 

"Fine fine, but you have to promise me that you will never ever see me differently after I tell you everything, okay? I'm being completely honest with you because you're one of the people I trust everything to. You do realize my faith in you or..."

"You're taking up too much time Rong Rong, can you already get to the part where you tell me you love me?" he cut in again making the same whiny behavior as he leaned his back on the arm rest with his hand behind his head.

He was getting the hang of it, being subliminal could be easy as pie.

"Look. If you're going to get conceited by another minute. I am sending Jiwon-sshi to have you "

"Haha! Shut up and go with the confession already" his smiley face suddenly turned upside down. It still gave him the chills and the ill feelings. It was all purely trauma.

"Aye Sir" Chorong's voice lowers.

"I could say that whatever it is you will be telling me. It would change less of the things I ought to plan on telling you today..." 

or at least that's what he hoped for.

Without wasting any more of their time, she proceeds telling her tale.. 

 

Before I was admitted as a freshman, I'd often hang out with Bomi and an Unnie from the Engineering department, her name was Park Sojin, and she probably graduated way before Jessica and Donghae-sunbaenim. She's a distant relative who helped me with the documents required to enroll here. So this is what happened when we were hanging out by the Uni Cafe, Which is the very first place in the campus that I fell inlove with.

"We got until tomorrow to have you two completely touring this place! Wait 'til you see the ampitheater! It's none like any other here in Korea!" Sojin-unnie was full of excitement her hands up in the air, trying to make out the size of the amphitheater she's ranting on.

Bomi and I just sighed, we'd been walking endlessly since 7am and I haven't even properly unpacked my luggage back in the dorm. yay for college, it exhausts you before getting on that first-day experience.

"Unnie please let me go home~ How can you let a high school student suffer like this!" I looked at Bomi who had her head already on the table, she's nearly done with her coffee. Bomi is still a junior back in our hometown. Oddly we've been attached by the hip since childhood and she is likely to follow me here once she graduates.

"I was about to order their best-seller shortcake, but if you insist. I'll give you a ride home now" Sojin-unnie, pulled her chair back ready to leave until Bomi held her arm down the table. 

Eh? this little pig is just another slave for free food.

The whole day was completely tiring, my body feels heavy I think I lost all strength but the ambience of this small coffee shop drove the dry feelings away. The soothing jazz music coming from the speakers, the aroma of freshly roasted coffee beans and baked pastries. A couple of students chit-chatting, though I barely hear anything from every conversation, it was a nice setting. Things aren't too heavy around here. It could be one reason that students liked to stay here for a long time, It's even ideal to study here rather than the library.

I could start on hallucinating that this place could be heaven-sent or it is heaven itself and this is definitely one of the places I'll mark as my hangout.

Having slept for 2 hours only, makes my vision blur and my eyelids heavy. Ugh someone slap me out to be awake. 

"I'd like an Iced Americano please" A male voice suddenly had my head up from the table, I didn't know why I bothered looking because none of the people around me are interesting to look at but I was pulled out into my almost slumber. I didn't knew what drew me in but I had a feeling I'll be remembering that clear soft-spoken voice of an angel. Not that I've heard an actual angel but this would be the closest example.

I peered over the counter to find a man, talking to the nice lady over cashier. It got my own eyelids widen as I saw his features more clearly. He's neat looking; fair skinned, a clean cut of maroon shaded hair, refined jaw and a bewitching smile. Especially when the cashier lady gushed. Don't they describe those things on fairy tales? Are these people even real?

"He sure looks enough to be a prince." unconscious that I  made a comment out loud,  Sojin-unnie and Bomi whipped their heads over the same direction where I stared at.

"Unnie! Chorong is checking out a guy!!" 

"Um yeah…. Why?”

“Are you REALLY EXACTLY SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE SAYING?”

“Bomi stop overreacting”

If I weren’t that focused on playing with the tapioca balls over my bubble tea, I would have strangled this noisy lass. Bomi put up a face of disbelief. whether she heard the right things coming out from my mouth or she's been cynical again about my mental capacity.

“Haha, Bomi calm down. I think Chorong’s not really serious. It was just out of plain observation in this cafe” Sojin-unnie chuckled, looking over the table where that angelic-guy sat on. 

"He seemed like a new face. Must be another freshman, I'm guessing that he's already snagged the attention of girls." Even she knew that he's going to be that eye-catching person among the sea of people here. 

"yeah, must be. I wonder if he's really nice or he's just another two face." 

The rest of our stay over the cafe got me stealing glances over that mysterious guy. College will be exciting if we get to be friends and it wouldn't be long until I see him again.


"And that would be the start my far sense of admiration for you, but then it was really short lived when I get to be in the same classes with you on the general subjects there I found out you are seriously one those dream-turned-nightmare instances right after we met.  I personally encountered how much of a jerk you are" Chorong swayed side to side while she tells it all, without hesitation, speaking in all truth. He knows it  when she's making stories up, and when she's telling actual stuff.

"Now that we are closer than before, can you even reconsider, I'm pretty certain that you fell for me again." there he was again, trying to put in his confessions with a hidden meaning. But isn't quite exactly sure if Chorong is getting his message. 

"The small wish I had on being friends with you was a gift enough. Don't worry, I fell for you on a better perspective of you being such a guardian angel. Not just to me but everyone"

And somewhere on the back of Joonmyeon's mind. It all dawned on him. He's not gonna get that day dream of Chorong responding a yes to his confession.

He was putting up an amused face on the outside but every part of him on the inside, is screaming in defeat.

"
You fool. Are you not getting intrigued with all the things I am telling you!!!"

"Can you not be Infatuated with me again until it grows into something deeper! This is unbelievable!" 

"Park Chorong when will you not stop breaking my heart"

"I'm going to die as a grandpa playing chess and feeding pigeons over the Hospice."

Still he had his con artist self showed towards Chorong, so he forces a subtle laugh.

"You know, It's not too late to change your feelings for me. And I can still accept you with open arms~" he casually speaks, not sure if this whole subliminal thing is going to work at all.

The girl just stared with another judgmental face.

"Who's teaching you all of these things? It's Jongdae isn't it"

"No and I don't get dating advices from anyone, I wouldn't be needing that because I got my personal dogma with such matters." and there goes another bluff from his con artist self.

"A dogma that can make you prone to women--" she just snorted out a laugh.

"Can you just go back to calling me Suho? I'd like that better than Joonie. You're making my name sound gay"

He is finally done with playing.

So much for being subliminal...

 

"Oh! then what is it that you're actually going to tell me Suho?"


[A/N:] Writing this chapter got me really really inspired because of D.O's solo. And being the biased fan that I am. I looked up the lyrics, which instantly got me hooked. and all spazzing like over and over. Anyway, I am planning soon to make a chapter out of Chorong's view. It's quite agonizing to see Suho getting punched at on the friend-label so much. Should I write a Chorong's side sequel for this chapter? 

I got my last semester for College in a few weeks. I'll see you guys later~ Good day and God bless!

Thank you again for reading~!