--12[▲]

Officially Friendzoned

cr: periwinklespring03 @ tumblr


Sometime around spring break, Joonmyeon was required to spend it with his schoolmates. After just a year of being a freshman it seems that his involvement with the school organization and the council won't be getting him a spring break at all. Even Yixing's departure to China was halted. This Voluntary mandatory to be honest  act was initiated by their upperclassmen. Well who'd say no to his superiors?

Wu Yifan​, Kevin Li Jiaheng, Kris, Wufan, Ben Ben... which actually pertains to one person is the representative of the lower years division in the student council, from the Architecture Department, is Chinese-Canadian and when he was a freshman, his name, despite its diversity is totally hot off the press~ Everyone in the campus knew of his name, his status, his monstrous height and the looks that would slay every girl to have laid eyes on him. 

Now that was all just pure exaggeration of his self-proclaimed best friend Park Chorong. He didn't knew how exactly she came into his life, like one moment they were lab partners in a particular class, then barely knew each other after it. He said to himself that he shall have civil relationships with his college mates, since its a preparation through entering the professional & corporate world. Though fate starts to pull some strings and some pivotal period in their lives made them decide that there's more to living College life, or there is more to discovering life itself. Joonmyeon does admit that he became too attached and bitter with his past, that he can't make a step forth towards his future. 

"Aye you done with getting sentimental over there?" 

He turned to see Chorong coming in, with her usual smiley face.

"There is nothing sentimental happening here" he said flatly though managing to return a smile, he looks away. 

She drew another doubtful look, before occupying the empty space beside him. 

"I can actually see through you now, considering how this place is actually adding effect to it" she said in a taunting manner, her eyes shortly wandering over the place. 

They were at the far end of the seashore, not far from the patio where most of the people were gathered at the current moment. Except for the two of them, distanced from the crowd. They were both silent, just letting the wind whisper through the chilly evening.  It was mostly nature doing all the marvel, the night skies painted with glittery stars, from the brightest to the less ones scattered all over the horizon, making patterns and shapes and not to mention the ocean with its vastness and its dark cool waves hitting the shores. 

"Am i still to obvious about it?" he asked.

"About what?" she asked back.

"You know..er..." he doesn't really want to say the exact words so he pauses, looking away once again.

"What? Joonmyeon spit it!" 

"You told me I was readable to you a while ago and now you're asking me what I'm obvious of do you not get my point woman?!" he frustratingly looked at her, making the other shout back with another set of retorts.

They never go through a day without having a small moment of arguing be it a small or big thing.

It was always like this. 

"Alright. I figured that you didn't like the things happening over the party, you just disappeared when you found out Donghae-sunbaenim was going to propose to Jessica-sunbaenim somewhere after the program and knowing you as someone of with a sense of responsibility, you don't like leaving things unsupervised." Chorong heaved a sigh before explaining

Much to his predicament, he reveals the reason anyway. He knew this girl liked to break his shell so much, no matter how hard he tries to conceal of what he really is. He longed for someone to talk to. Someone who'd help him transfigure the nightmare that still haunts him, someone who'd listen and tell him he's not on the wrong, that what he did on the past wasn't something he'd be struggling to look back, he wanted it to be just a pigment of his past, a mere memory that he can laugh and smile about. 

So he tells his small tale, of Kang Hyerin. 

She was forever etched in his heart and early childhood, back in kindergarten she'd always be by his side the whole day, after that their parents would fetch them and they'd visit each other's houses to play more and do homework together. As they grew together, their bond is stronger than ever, he was her knight she was his princess. Their parents would have made an agreement of their marriage which was a comical matter every now and when they observed the two. As the years went on nothing had changed, they grew in deeper relationship. Worlds just revolving around each other to the point where in middle school they decided to make it official. Neither of them were oblivious to each other's feelings, and so were the people around them. Everyone around them knew they are a match made in heaven.

He was madly in love with her as much as she is for him. It was a smooth-sailing ship. 

Until senior year of high school, came a great shift. He never told any more details, feeling as if he's eating bile at every word he says.

"During the seniors farewell party, I pulled off a bold stunt... In front of everyone in class...you know the cliche things of a man asking for her girl's hand in marriage." his cheeks slightly flushed in mixture of the embarrassment and the nostalgic feelings all coming back to him.

Chorong's eyes grew a bit wider at the revelation, though she quickly voids her shock "Did she say yes?"

"No" he smiled bitterly, both eyes closed at the process. He knew he was going to cry because every piece of Hyerin in his head stung him deep on his chest. 

He remembered it perfectly. the crowd as they gasped in shock, the ring that slipped off his fingers, and hyerin's horror-stricken face. the rejection.

It was the consequence of committing his heart fully to someone who turned to be half-bait. He was a fool for love. 

Chorong didn't utter a word, aware of the emotional turmoil he is currently going through.

Though tears were still far from b out his eyes he lifted his head up and focused on looking at the stars instead. 

"It was exactly like this night. The moon is hidden, the stars flaunting everywhere with its absence, In one moment you feel like the happiest person in this world, like everything is just beautiful and you can't stop on appreciating everything around you but then in one slap, you'll be awakened by the fact that the things you find beautiful had something hidden and ugly beneath." 

"Well then you're doing it wrong."

He was startled by her blunt response. His eyes landing on her stern gaze.

'With all the emotional damage that happened to you and Hyerin, but you're not really helping yourself to move on. I won't accuse Hyerin of fooling you. In fact,it's better that she rejected your proposal. Because if she didn't, we're not really going to see if you loved her enough, she was a wise girl." she spoke in all seriousness, that Joonmyeon's starting to feel intimidation but she let the girl speak on. "A Selfish act." she pressed on, making his brow twitch though he suppresses once more the boiling feelings, stirring up his gut.

"Okay, But I'm not going to point out flaws anymore. Look, Hyerin's living her own life now and like I told you a zillion times! Live your life too! She's out there living her life according to what she's wanted, then I guess you have the equal right as well! Don't do it out of bitterness, but just because you have your own life to live like YOLO!" she shouted her last word, in a cheery manner earning a puzzled Joonmyeon beside her. She was confusing him a lot. A while ago she's pointing out the bad points of what he did, now she's putting on some exhoration like she never said a harsh word to him.

"You only Live once?"

"Mhmmm" humming lightly, she nods to him.

"Give me more context, Are you telling me to get wasted?"

"Who says YOLO applies for wasted people? Dude you're not getting on my page."

As the depths of the evening nearly approached midnight, they remained on the same place. Even though the party is nearly done with the closing ceremony and having heard a loud cheer from the patio, followed with Jessica's audible "Yes" through the MIC and the crowd going wild in celebration of her official Engagement with Donghae. Chorong peered through the distant, smiling to herself at the bright atmosphere just a few feet away. Making Joonmyeon look in curiosity as well. His spirits have already been lifted after having that small talk but definitely had him releasing a lot of his "baggage". A small closed smile came to his lips. 

"You only live once, but your power to love is infinite. Do it not because you want to gain love, but because you can, and don't stop. Every human being would need it because they're creatures with souls that longed for one another." she sighed, with a sanguine face. Joonmyeon started to see her differently when he saw her like this for the first time. She was unlike the other people. Most of the time, they'd answer his situation on a basis of self-gratification, like "be a better you" agenda, but she approaches things differently, she's like some bittersweet medicine that old people used to prescribe, though it actually works. 

She was right. He shouldn't stop loving. Even if it's not a romantic kind of love, but a love that just simply cared for someone else. 

"Wow look at you making improvements already!" she suddenly beamed, startling him as she leaned in "And let me take a good look.. oh yes you're definitely doing it right!" she giddily says, patting her hands over his shoulders.

A faint flush of red came to his cheeks, the sudden warmth over his face and the involuntary faster skipping of his heartbeat got him backing off a step away from her.

"And just who are you to tell me about things like these! I'm not even bitter of that wedding proposal happening over there. I never was!" he blurts out in defense.

He was about to take another step to make boundaries with her and her sudden touchy-gestures, but he doesn't escape again. 

Her arms were already around his frame, her chin lightly pressed on his shoulder blade. Oh how he prayed that his throbbing heart weren't that obvious to her at the closeness their bodies, and he kept questioning, "What is wrong with me, what is this girl doing and proving?" Normally he'd push away any girl who'd try to get into skin ship with him, seeing it as an act of violation and realizing that he only permitted two special women in his life to do such an act; his mother and Hyerin on the other slot. But now he just stood, stupefied with the mystery of what this Girl is, in his life. The legalistic part of him wanted to pry her hands off his body since it could be viewed inappropriate to the people who might see them, and the other part tells him to sink into the embrace and maybe, accept her offer of comfort because he needed badly of it.

"All is well buddy, All is going to be well." she murmured, her breath blew lightly on the side of his neck, sending him those unwanted sensations again. 

"T-thanks" he replied, swallowing the lump on his throat. He got eased as her hand gently patted his back. 

"And don't worry, I bet we're gonna see a lot of chicks lined up by the time you take Kris' place as council rep for the lower years. Brace yourself" she chuckled, with a teasing look as she withdrew from the hug. 

And he was again struck by the reality that Chorong has the mind of a boy after all, she wasn't you're typical baby-faced college girl she was, like a lion in sheep's clothing, he had nearly forgotten about it. But the moment she spoke all the weird things he felt a while back subsided right away. And smacking her on the face was the next thing he'd want to do to her. 

"Oh and by the way, that shirt needs to go." she playfully stuck her tongue out as she makes a run from Joonmyeon's attempts to lash out. She ran laughing and giggling the moment He launched from his frozen spot. 

She knew he was going to move on, starting from that point.

"Get back here you dalbak-freak!" 

-

[A few weeks later.....]

 

"Where the heck is Joonmyeon, I need him right now!" 

Everyone, scrambled to their feet at the sound of their president's command. NO ONE WILL LIKE IT IF THEY SEE THE DUIZHANG'S MONSTER MODE. 

"What's with all the fuss? Did something happen to him or..." Minseok comes at his table, with a look of confusion after seeing most of the council members making stampede through the door. 

He sat on the desk cooly but his expression tells otherwise Kris' jaw clenched as his suppressed a low growl from coming out. Minseok isn't getting any more comprehension with his behavior, and so he asks him again unaffected of the President's threatening aura, unlike the rest.

"DuizhangDuizhang! I was asking you a question!" he chimed out. 

This caused Kris to stuff a pork bun onto the secretary's mouth. "Shut up."  and he quickly sits back on his office chair, with elbows placed on his desk and hands clasped together. That was his initial position every time he isn't to be disturbed by anyone nor anything. 

It was normally a fine day for everyone at the headquarters until they were given off a copy of the Weekly University Newspaper, that was distributed earlier in front of the University Press office. The front page of the newspaper contained pictures from the Alumni Organization's Homecoming party held during spring break, the council, the press and some selected students were invited to take part of the event with the rest of the University staff. There were pictures of old and young people everywhere, enjoying the atmosphere of the event going through the ceremonies being held, some prominent people being recognized and whatsoever scenario that could be shot. Until some photos were seemingly branching out of its formality.

"A MIDNIGHT ROMANCE--WHAT THE HELL" Kris was about to curse at the captions written on one picture that caught his eye.

It was a picture of Kim Joonmyeon, his back facing, hovering the figure of a mysterious girl as they stood in one of the dark corners of the beach resort, covered by the palm trees and bushes. Though the press had his identity was labeled as anonymous along with the girl, it wasn't entirely oblivious to Kris and the council team, they knew it very well after remembering Joonmyeon wearing that red aloha shirt, that its color still stood out even in the darkest places. In fear of the alumni association of this having spread and cause controversy he called the press team right away. 

"I'll contact the editor-in-chief. You just wait for Joonmyeon to come here at the office" Minseok grabs the phone on his desk, making a direct call to the University publication after pressing a few numbers. He puffed his cheeks as he waited for someone to pick up on the other line, he looks at Kris with a consoling look noticing the agitation overtaking his features. 

"Relax, It's not that he'll be found out by the students and we should get his side of the story first" he says, re-dialing the numbers again 

"It's not that I'm concerned about, He's going to take my place. We'll be moving to the senior division of the council by next week, If the board even takes notice that it's him on the picture, there could be difficulty in his promotion. Our reputations could be at stake..." 

"I'm not really sure why you're getting worked up with the matter, when all i can see on the photo is a blurred silhoutte of Joonmyeon and Chorong. Besides, It was a party so why be a spoilage to the lovebirds? Even Jessica-sunbae and Donghae-sunbae had their moment--Aish! no one is answering, are they all on break? It's not even lunch time yet!" he comes into frustration, as he pressed for another dial again.

Kris just remained silent, taking a bite onto the pork bun he put on his secretary's mouth a while ago.

"That aloha shirt really needs to be burned before anyone notices." he grumbled. 

-


"OH MY GOD OH MY GODDDDDD" Chorong came to Yixing in panic and nearly jerking the male out of the bench. 

"Whoa chill out rong, did something happen? are you okay?" he asked, his face completely in contrast with his statement. Yixing always had that blank look on his face. It's rather hard for them to activate his facial muscles to some extent. But they have seen him and his eyes widening a bit from his initial half lidded droopy get-up. It was rare moment. Yixing was his usual self, and Chorong grunted at the lack of interest in him. 

"Have you been reading the  School paper! Oh my God where in Korea has your mind flown off?"

"That was about the 3rd time you said Oh my God..should be some big deal, wait let me take a look" his remark, had him flinching at Chorong's attempt to whack him on the head, he reached for his bag and pulled out his own copy of the University Newspaper. 

Chorong sat beside him as she pointed to specific part of the paper.

"Oh? what is this? are you two now dating?" surprisingly Yixing's eyelids opened wider and blinked a few times. 

Chorong inwardly cried at his assumption. 

"You don't understand! We're not dating! this is all some misunderstanding!!" 

Yixing put up a teasing derpy face, poking the girl on his side. 

"It's bad to lie Park Chorong~"



[Back at the Junior Division Council Office..]

Before Joonmyeon would cower at Kris' table as he feared it would be, he was lucky to have it found empty with Minseok as the only person left behind the office. Ever since his day started, his stolen photo with Chorong was scandalously smeared with malice had him walking in paranoia all day. Never had he taken a breath of relief upon wandering the University grounds, in fear that he will be noticed as the guy who committed "A MIDNIGHT AFFAIR" he'd seriously want to kill the people over the Publication office. though the identity is kept secret, it was still disrespectful to his and Chorong's side of the story. He felt violated. It was something personal he ought to cherish for himself, but someone had taken advantage to take it out as something people should make fun of. He was furious and apologetic but what could he do?  

"Let's just have those things you said, be explained to Kris once he gets back from the publication office, I think he's reporting it to the Guidance office too, since the photo had violations regarding to Student Rights. It was out of bounds, and they could have placed it on the gossip section they had, placed it on words instead perhaps." Minseok gave a pat on his back, after hearing the entire story from him. But his second statement, had Joonmyeon looking sourly at his hyung. 

''Hyung, that was like a moment I'd rather keep private, It was a talk between me and Chorong that was very special to me...." 

this caused the older to quirk a brow up. "Special? Why? Are you two really dating now?"

Joonmyeon grunted, shaking his head. Getting fed up with that redundant question from different people. "No. We're not dating, we're friends alright? Nothing more, Nothing less" sighing he put his face flatly on the desk.

"Tch. I'm not sure but I think you're falling for that girl. I think the press could've renamed the caption like : Awakaned Romance at 12' midnight. A Fairytale turned Reality~" Minseok said with his hands in mid-air as if he visualized a marquee sign, smirking and proudly nodding to his fantasies.

"Don't make my life complicated, I'm already happy with the color she's been shedding to my grayzoned life"

"Uwaahh! I should seriously record what you're saying and have it sent to Chorong! This is daebak! Stop being in denial!" the older clapped his hands loudly, with a big grin on his face.

Joonmyeon ignored the older's silly dances over his presumptions, but on the inside his words resonated like a broken record. 

"You're falling for that girl"

 

"You're falling for that girl"

 

"You're falling for that girl"

 

"falling...."

 



[Author Notes:] Note to self : Never drop off a specific date to update, I'm sorry for always having the hopes up on a scheduled update. So many things happened actually, I was away for 3 days because I was at Camp, which the coolest camp eva!! It's like some 180-degree transformation in my life!! \m/ then the next thing I hear on the news when I got home was Kris' lawsuit. It partly shattered me and admittedly it momentarily trampled my inspiration to update , though I'm okay the day after lol. I think it's best to just move on with the situation and accept the things that are about to happen to EXO. this isn't the end of their career path, and I think Kris has some really big deal personal reason for departing but then again, Let's just hope for the best for all of them. EXO FIGHTING! :) So here's the update, I hope you're still enjoying to read this fic, and thank you as always for supporting it. Good day and God bless!