Surprises

Hey KyungSoo, You're Mine

Author's Note: Firstly, I would like to wish everyone a very blessed new year! I admit, I haven't been updating fast and it's already 2014. I started this story in 2012, and it's been a really long time. But pushing aside any negative thoughts, I've improved on my writing in the past year, and I assure you this fanfic will be finished before this year ends. I'm planning to update once a week, or maybe more if I have the time. I'm gonna be grade 9 this year, so I'll be super busy in high school. 

Aside from all of that, I hope you enjoy this long(?) update!


Kai checked his reflection in the mirror, for any creases or flaws on the expensive suit. 'Look presentable Jongin-ah, and represent me well', was what his father had told him; before the male had left the country, to attend a meeting with many other restaurant owners in beautiful Paris, France. Kai nodded with a slight smile, choosing to ignore the way his father had adressed him. Only his parents were obligied to call him that; since they were the reason he was even born after all. 

Respect was something his parents had taught him from a very early age, and though Kai had his 'badass' reputation — how he liked to call it, the teenager knew better than to disrespect anyone, especially his very own parents. 

But one thing he didn't understand was why he had to take over his father's place in the meantime; since his parents had never really trusted him with such big tasks. Mr Kim was the owner of the cooking academy. He wasn't just a high-ranked employee.

It wasn't that Kai was nervous. Not at all. 

Kim Jongin didn't even know the meaning of that word. To him nervousness was weakness, and he believed that confidence was key to everything. Especially if you were trying to land a place in the cooking academy.

Which was why Kai had very high expectations of the auditionees. He wasn't just gonna randomly let people get the golden spots. What was the point of auditioning then? Kai didn't know much about cooking, but he did know what a good dish was. Creativity, taste and technique. Those were the things he expected; from the true, devoted people who genuinely wanted a spot.

"Mr Kim, please make your entrance."

Kai nodded, before making his way out of the walk-in-closet situated beside his father's office. Mr Kim treated the academy like his second home, so he chose to build it like one. The academy had four levels; the first three levels consisting of rooms where the amateur cooks learned and practiced their cooking skills, while the fourth level consisted of Mr Kim's office, a large living room, a beautiful kitchen, and a bedroom that had a walk-in-closet and bathroom built next to it.

There was also an auditorium built right next to the main building, which was where the audition was taking place at. 

So Kai made his way down the escalator, out of the main building and into the auditorium. He could already hear the loud booming of the MC's voice echoing around the room as he walked closer to it; his posture straight, his eyes sharp and confident. Kai didn't care about how he presented himself at school, and how people chose to judge him. Heck, he wouldn't care if he showed up to that education facility.

But right now he was representing his father; a man of much importance and authority in the culinary industry. 

He needed to make his father proud. And so he walked into the auditorium, a few minutes after the MC had announced the 'last judge''s arrival, which was him. Kai didn't just want to immediately show up right after the cue; he wanted to show some class. Fashionably late — he liked to call it.

Kai entered the room, and pairs of curious eyes greeted his sight. The other two judges were already seated at the front, where a table covered with a cream-coloured cloth was placed at. There were also golden nameplates at their respective seats, with the words 'Mr Kim' engraved onto his.

His eyes scanned the room as he made his way towards his seat; after bowing politely to everyone, and one by one he met eyes with the many auditionees. Far more people than he had expected had turned up, but Kai liked the idea. 

The more the people, the more talents hidden within them.

He met eyes with sharp, cat-like ones. Kai's eyebrows raised, seeing the ever-too-familiar mop of blonde hair. Key's expression was a mixture of shock and realization, since he hadn't expected his best friend's student to be the only son of the Kims, and also because Kai did have 'Kim' as his surname.

And before Kai could fully sit onto his chair, his eyes landed on the male right next to Key.

His eyes widened. Unknowingly, his heartbeat quickened.

Kyungsoo.

 

Kai.

Kyungsoo's eyes were as wide; not fully believing what, and who, was sitting right at the front. The last person he wanted to see at the moment, was sitting right at the very seat of 'Mr Kim'.

The doe-eyed male's mind clicked in realization. Mr Kim. Kim Jongin. Kai.

When the two had first met, the tanned male had addressed himself as Kai. But Taemin had once told Kyungsoo about the dancer's real name, to which Kyungsoo asked why the dancer didn't mention his real name before.

Taemin didn't answer him immediately; as if he was thinking back to a distant memory. But he soon replied that Kai was just a joker.

But Kyungsoo didn't buy it.

Something must have happened in the past; to cause Kai to change so much, just as how Taemin had told him before. And Kyungsoo had a feeling that Kai not using his real name was somehow linked to it. And that somehow, Kai didn't want to use his real name.

He looked over at Key, who had the same dumbstruck expression on his face. Kyungsoo couldn't lie. He honestly thought that Key had intentionally brought him there, to somehow bring him and Kai together in one room, which the blonde had tried to do so couple times before.

The very first one happened during Kyungsoo's first week at the cafeteria's kitchen. He had been on his lunch break, taking a stroll around the very same school he had attended before; reminiscing the memories.

Kyungsoo was aimlessly walking around, sitting on a nearby bench that overlooked the pond in the school garden right after; when suddenly another being sat beside him — pushed beside him actually.

He looked at the intruder, and soon realized that it was the half- teen he had seen a few days ago; and that very said teen was now staring at him with a confused expression, like he wasn't gonna even sit there in the first place.

And when Kyungsoo glanced back, to see a retreating mop of blonde hair, he started to realize his fellow cook's scheme.

To bring him close to Kai.

Kyungsoo loved Key very much, like the older sister he's never had. He knew Key was just looking out for him, trying to make his life at school as nice and enjoyable as possible.

But trying to somehow 'matchmake' him with a guy who Kyungsoo honsetly found attractive, but he wasn't gonna admit that outloud, wasn't exactly Kyungsoo's idea of a 'pleasant stay'.

But at the moment, it didn't seem like Key was trying out one of his 'plans' again. Seeing the mirror expression Key had on his face, it was impossible that he knew about this. That Kai was the unknown son of the Kims.

Kyungsoo had searched up about the cooking academy the night before; to simply see what the facility had to offer. He was just looking through the many lessons they taught at the academy, and also the original dishes made by the top-noch ex-students who had graduated, becoming chefs in famous restaurants. 

He didn't expect to somehow start reading about the founder of the academy.

The doe-eyed male read about it's history; the founder, how he built the whole place up through the years, and finally his family. One detail that had caught Kyungsoo's eye was that the only son's identity wasn't stated. It made Kyungsoo very intriuged, and he wanted to find out who that person exactly was.

And know that he finally did, Kyungsoo wasn't sure if it was a good thing, or a bad one.

 

Sehun gulped. His eyes trailed over Luhan's sleeping face, mesmerised by the angelic view. The chinese male was seated at one of the chairs, his head placed sideways onto the table in front.

It was a busy, tiring day for all the four males — with customers coming in non-stop; till the point that they had run out of pastries, and even supplies to make more batches. Baekhyun was contented with the profit they had made; curtesy of the delicious pastries he had baked beforehand with Chanyeol — where the two had referred to Baekhyun's grandmother's recipe book, which contained countless original dessert recipes. And also curtesy of the four male's charms.

Luhan had been the most hardworking, flashing his signature smile that made anyone look his way — especially Sehun, who hadn't let his eyes off the chinese male most of the time they were working.

While Luhan worked the counter; taking note of the customer's order, asking Sehun for assistance at times to get the order, and finally packing it neatly in the bakery's signature light-pink paper bag, the younger male used this opportunity to stare at heaven.

The way Luhan moved so smoothly; communicating with the customers ever so easily and slightly flirtatiously — that made Sehun really jealous on the inside, it made the younger male stare in awe. The way Luhan's eyes sparkled, every time the he flashed his genuine, heartfelt smile, it made Sehun jealous yet again.

Not only because other people got to witness that beautiful sight (Sehun felt that only he could see that), but also because Luhan could easily be himself around other people; without having to worry about their judgement of him.

In Sehun's eyes, Luhan seemed perfect, like he didn't go through the hardships of society. 

While on the other hand, Sehun cared way too much about this 'image' that he had built and molded throughout his teenage years, all because of one insecurity he used to have. Sehun cared too much about his appearance from other people's point of view; not only looks-wise, but also personality-wise.

Sehun was too afraid to be himself.

Which had led him to hiding behind a mask, something that he can use as a shield; from the eyes of society.

And seeing how Luhan was the total opposite of him, and also the kind of person he longed to be, it made Sehun's desire for the chinese male grow.

 

As Sehun carefully and quietly seated himself next to Luhan, who was still fast-asleep; Baekhyun watched from the counter, a huge smile breaking his features. 

One thing Baekhyun absolutely adored, was seeing someone long for another.

The way Sehun stared at Luhan. Seeing a small smile grace the younger's features. And witnessing how Sehun ever so slowly made his way to the centre of his attention; love and adoration just shining out of his sparkling eyes.

It all made Baekhyun coo on the inside.

And, it somehow made him relieved, that someone had finally seen the beauty and special traits that Luhan possessed; because it had been too long, since the chinese male had first started his one-sided love. For Baekhyun's very own brother.

Baekhyun had realized Luhan's feelings for Kyungsoo a long time ago. 

It was another day of handling the bakery — where Luhan had come over to help yet again. The chinese male was in his freshman year of high school, while Kyungsoo was already a sophmore. The two teens were inseperable; with Luhan coming over early in the morning, just to walk alongside the doe-eyed male to school. Baekhyun was still in his last year of middle school, so seeing Luhan was still new to him.

But as the days passed by and Baekhyun got to know the chinese male better; he soon realized certain things.

Like the fact that Luhan was not Korean, and actually Chinese. It was hard to tell since Luhan was so fluent in Korean. Another thing was that Luhan was very good-looking (Baekhyun called him 'pretty' at first, which Luhan didn't like at all, so they settled for 'good-looking'). And that maybe, just maybe, Luhan somehow thought of Kyungsoo as more than a friend.

It was normal, very normal for two guys to have so much skinship (Baekhyun loved holding Chanyeol's hand); but behind Luhan's so-called 'friendly' touches with his brother, Baekhyun could sense something. Something that definitely wasn't evident to Kyungsoo. At all.

Kyungsoo was the most oblivious person in the world. Even Baekhyun had more sense than him, although he was younger. The time Baekhyun drew a moustache onto his brother's face when they were younger already showed how much of a blur the doe-eyed male was. He hadn't noticed the horribly-drawn moustache till after an hour.

Baekhyun wasn't entirely certain at first. Maybe he just watched too many romance-genred dramas, and he was just hallucinating. 

But something finally proved his assumptions right.

It was when Baekhyun entered ExoPlanet High, after graduating from middle school. Kyungsoo had become a junior, while Luhan had become a sophmore.

He was making his way to the cafeteria, alongside Chanyeol. The two were ecstatic that they were in the same class, and had promised each other to eat lunch together every single day (not that Baekhyun minded the way Chanyeol ate so loudly, with crumbs spilling out of his mouth every few minutes). 

There was this student, a senior who was very much respected for his impressive grades and title of 'president', of the student council. Lim Hyun Shik was his name; and he proved to be very charming towards everyone in the school, Kyungsoo included.

The first time Hyunshik had iniated a conversation with the doe-eyed male, Luhan was nowhere in sight (due to his extra lessons afterschool). The second time, Hyunshik had offered to help Kyungsoo with his extra co-corricular activity points; where the two had spent time conversing as well. But the third time, Kyungsoo barely got a chance to reply Hyunshik's greeting before Luhan stepped in, his glare filled with hatred towards the cowering president; and his eyes screaming 'touch him and I'll kill everything you love'. 

Let's just say Kyungsoo had totally cut connections with Hyunshik after that; and someone had finally shown his true colours.

And Baekhyun somehow gained respect for the chinese male.

But looking at the situation now, with Kyungsoo and that player Kai getting dangerously closer to one another, Baekhyun felt bad for his brother's best friend. Not only was the love one-sided, but someone had showed up to possibly snatch Kyungsoo's heart away.

"Hey Baek, watcha doing?" A sudden voice cheerily said behind the male; the creepiness literally overflowing from the voice scaring him out of his witts.

"Chaneyol what the—"

Baekhyun's eyes widened; Chanyeol's throat went dry, a light taint of pink covering his cheeks — that were way too close the other male's.

Baekhyun was leaning against the counter, with his head turned towards the back, where Chanyeol had ever too closely situated himself at. Their noses were almost touching, and one slight, small movement could make their red cherry lips connect together; something that Chanyeol longed for, but something Baekhyun wasn't really comfortable with.

"Baekhyun, don't move." Chanyeol huskily whispered, his voice an octave lower than usual; sending waves of shivers through the smaller's body.

Baekhyun gulped. Was his best friend going to kiss him?

He didn't exactly know his feelings — if he even had feelings that were more than friendly for Chanyeol. 

But his actions betrayed his thoughts; as Baekhyun closed his eyes, waiting for any movement from the giant hovering above him.

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun's eyes close, and from the position they were in, it was hard, very hard, not to notice how pink the younger's lips were. How pretty his eyelashes were. And how Baekhyun always managed to make his heart beat fast.

He leaned forward, hoping to finally kiss those lips.

Baekhyun waited in anticipation, but frowned when nothing came. He opened his eyes, and saw Chanyeol's retreating figure towards the break room.

Hurt; that was all Baekhyun felt as he stomped his way towards a vacant seat, trying his best to hide his watering eyes.

 

"And now, Mr Kim shall pick three, only three dished to taste. Mr Kim, please choose the dishes that you wish to taste."

The first two judges had already picked three dishes of their own liking; tasting them, evaluating the score the dish deserves, and lastly deciding whether or not to give the amateur chef a spot in the academy.

Key's dish had been picked by the second judge; where his excitement had overflowed from him, and he happily gave Kyungsoo's cheek a quick smooch — which Kai didn't miss and like, before the blonde skipped his way to the front, placing his delicious-looking plate of strawberry cheesecake onto the table in front of the judge.

The middle-aged woman's stoic expression had turned into one of awe; and at that moment Kyungsoo felt so proud and happy for his friend.

Key had gotten a spot soon after — no surprise there.

He was soon seated next to the others who had achieved spots as well; right across the room from where Kyungsoo was still standing in front of his own-made dessert.  

Kyungsoo had been hoping to at least get picked by either of the first two judges — not that he was avoiding the last one. But the way the tanned male had been eyeing him for the past half hour, it made Kyungsoo really uncomfortable.. and conscious.

Kai was supposed to judge him — anyone actually; but somehow Kyungsoo felt that Kai wasn't actually judging his dish.

The tanned male hadn't taken his eyes off of him, since the very minute Kyungsoo's presence had been noticed. Kyungsoo had tried to shrug it off, to ignore the piercing gaze from across the room. But the way Kai's hair was styled back to show his whole face, the way the expensive suit clung so perfectly onto his lean, slightly muscular frame, and the way Kai oozed confidence from the tip of his toes till the top of his head.

It all made Kyungsoo's eyes trail back to meet those sharp ones.

"I pick Do Kyungsoo, and only him." Kai's voice echoed throughout the room as he spoke into the microphone; startling everyone and the doe-eyed male, after hearing the tanned male's request.

"But Mr Kim, it is required that you pick three—" 

"I only want to taste one. If that's okay with you sir." Kai cut the MC off, his tone sligthly authorative but polite.

The man merely nodded his head, before he proceeded to ask Kyungsoo to bring his dish forward.

"I'll walk to his station." Kai said before Kyungsoo could even take one step; with the MC side-eyeing the tanned male who seemed to have a lot of requests that day.

From the moment Kyungsoo had heard his own name roll of Kai's thick and luscious lips; he knew that there was bound to be trouble coming his way. He felt a littlt guilty for thinking that way; but it was indeed true.

The first time Kyungsoo had met Kai, as he clearly remembers, wasn't exactly a normal way of meeting and introducing. They had met in an awkward way — in Kyungsoo's perspective, and how Kai seemed to have no problem with personal space kinda made Kyungsoo uncomfortable. 

And now the said male was walking towards his station, instead of Kyungsoo walking towards the front, like it should be. But Kai seemed to play a different game from the other judges; having his own way of handling things, instead of following instructions made by others.

Now Kyungsoo got it. Kai wasn't one who simply followed the crowd. He liked to be special; to stand out from the rest. But why was he doing that by having such a complex personality? One minute he was cocky and flirtatious (Kyungsoo had been in a few situations with that side of Kai), and another he was lost and confused like an abandoned puppy (Kyungsoo had also witnessed that before his very eyes). 

It made Kyungsoo more and more curious of Kai's past; that had caused him to change, in Taemin's words. Kyungsoo didn't even remember hearing about Kai in the past, when he was still in ExoPlanet High. Kai was even in this little group with Sehun — popular duo or something. 

And all this while, Kyungsoo thought that Baekhyun and Chanyeol were dumb for calling themselves 'bacon and eggs' before (Baekhyun had said he was bacon and Chanyeol followed by saying he was eggs, which led the two to come up with the weird title)

"Kyungsoo?" 

Kai's sudden voice snapped the doe-eyed male out of his thoughts, and he looked up to meet eyes with the younger.

"Mr Kim." Kyungsoo replied back, with a small smile to be polite. 

Kai's eyebrow arched, not exactly used to seeing Kyungsoo normal; not blushing nor stuttering.

He broke their eye-contact (much to his own dismay), and let his eyes gaze over Kyungsoo's dish; which to his opinion looked restaurant material.

"You know, for a lunchlady this is something." Kai said, his lips curling into a smirk. Even though he saw Kyungsoo as a very special friend, it was still an audition; he had to be fair and square. His motive was to make Kyungsoo cower in front of him; to somehow see if Kyungsoo had the confidence he was looking for.

"This is my forte, if you haven't noticed, Mr Kim." Kyungsoo hadn't flinched one bit, even after Kai's not-so-friendly words. And the emphasis on his name kinda made him a little heated. 

I'd like to hear him moan that while he's dressed in a maid outifit.

Kai unconsciously his plump lips, his imaginations going to places.. well, dirty.

He didn't even know that side of Kyungsooo existed. And Kai liked it, very much.

"Well, let's see if your dish tastes as nice as it looks." And if you do too.

Kai took the fork that Kyungsoo had offered, their fingers brushing slightly. Kyungsoo's expression remained confident and really y in Kai's opinion; something that he rarely got to see and wished to see more of.

The appearance of the dish was gorgeous and clean; Kai mentally ticked his imaginary list.

He used a knife and sliced the brownie cake, revealing a clean cut layering of chocolate and the cream with strawberries on top. The garnish was nicely-made as well. 

Seeing that Kyungsoo had already passed two of the expectations Kai had, he was looking forward to the taste.

He carefully cut a piece of the pastry; with the layers intact, and put it in his mouth. The flavours touched his tastebuds; the mixture of chocolate and strawberries making Kai almost moan at the delicious sensation. 'I'll do that in the future with Kyungsoo', he thought cheekily to himself.

He took one of the chocolate-coated strawberries, as his eyes traveled up to meet Kyungsoo's.

Kai slowly the chocolate off; his tongue poking out, and his eyes closing half-way. Kyungsoo was at loss for words, that the tanned male was doing that right in front of everyone.

He had to admit though, that he liked the view.

Kai then ate the strawberry in one go; the action holding secret meanings that Kyungsoo didn't want to even think about.

"This is a very-well structured dish. The flavours of chocolate and strawberries compliment each other well, and the overall taste is perfect. You did a very good job, Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo was a bit surprised at his good tongue; and that Kai would actually like his dish.

"And, you've earned a spot in Seoul Cooking Academy. Congratulations, soo."


Author's Note:

Wow, that surpassed 4000 words. And it took a whole lot of time to write haha.

I think a lot has been revealed in this chapter. With Kai's double personality, Sehun's insecurities, more on baekyeol and their feelings for each other, and also Kyungsoo's different sides. 

I've read ther earlier chapters I've written, and I can honestly say that I'm kinda regretful that they weren't that well-written. My writing style has changed ALOT in one year, and you can see that my descriptions of the characters are longer, along with their thoughts and personalities.

I hope you guy's don't mind the sudden change of perspective as well, since I've decided not to write paragraphs in the different character's perspectives anymore. I probably do so again, but idk.

On another note, I'm starting school again *CRIES* on Monday, and that means less time to write.

So I've decided to update every weekend, either on Saturday or Sunday.

AND OH MY ING GOSH EXO'S HAVING A COMEBACK ON MARCH 20TH.

Liek can you hear my wallet crying?

Haha. 

Comment please (even a single word will make me happy), and if you're new, subscribe! And *coughs* upvote *coughs*

xoxo,

LuKaiHan