Arranged Marriage

It Just Happened
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyuna X You. Yooo, it's been a while, this probably , LOL.

“You two are to be married in two months time,” my father announced over our distastefully extravagant brunch. His words overturned my entire existence. My mind resisted the meaning that originated from my father’s power stricken voice. Even with forewarning from him the previous night, I still couldn’t accept the not-so-new news.

I glanced across the table, my eyes meeting the fox like eyes of my newly proclaimed “fiancée”. Her expression was stoic and unreadable. There was no way to negate her attractiveness, but I had no plans of marriage even to someone so beautiful. Marriage was the last thing on my personal agenda, not with my newly broken heart and the pressures of a being a young and newly inaugurated chief surgery weighing down on me. We continued our meal in relative silence, the only audible conversation coming from our parents making small talk.

The idle noise brought me discomfort. How could they have such petty talk when their words dictated our lives so effortlessly? All father had to do was open his mouth and my life would change in just a matter of time. I still remember how I resented hyung for running away and living his own life, leaving me behind as a boy. No wonder he did. I understand his anguish all too well now. The only difference between us is I have nowhere to run, the hospital is on my shoulders now. Here I am, thinking he was pathetic, but it was really me who is pathetic.

My wife-to-be is Kim Hyuna. Her father is a high-ranking official and my father is the chairman of Gwanghyewon Hospital, the very place I am the chief of surgery. I’m not quite sure the exact reason our parents intended us to be wed, but it definitely had something to do with an unspoken promise of indubitable allegiance to the other party. With our unwilling legal union, it would be like an unspoken contract that would be sealed the moment our lips meet in the chapel and we are proclaimed husband and wife.

Between my long shifts at the hospital, wedding-planning sessions occupied every waking hour of the one month prior to the fateful day. Hyuna and I only exchanged curt greetings and conversation when it was absolutely necessary. Just as the day we met over breakfast, she remained a mystery to me. I wasn’t entirely sure if she hated my guts or if it was the idea of marrying a boring, workaholic doctor like me.

And so just as fast as the idea of our marriage materialized into a reality, we went from single to death do us part. Our wedding day was nothing less of a charade, deceiving family, friends and acquaintances. Hyuna’s acting was so superb that it almost had me fooled when she tears fell from her eyes as I said the vows I stole from a sappy romantic comedy. I snapped out of it the moment we left the chapel and stepped into our limo, her expression changing drastically.

“Next time, don’t over do it. Keep the kissing to a three-second maximum,” She growled at me, her contempt apparent on her face. I nodded nervously, bowing my head in apology. Just as I was an insignificant fly, her attention returned to her mobile phone, leaving me in silence with my thoughts. How was I going to live with this woman, I still had no idea. Our parents gifted us a rather nice house near the hospital for us to live in. Granted I would spend most of my time at the hospital. Of course, we had to at least pretend the two of us were actually taking the marriage seriously in front of our parents.

We arrived at the wedding hall in a grandiose manner, with a release of doves and a parade of our respective families. The two of us strolled out, keeping beat with the music playing, paying mind to exchange “adoring” glances just as we rehearsed. With Hyuna on my arm, we greeted our guests cheerfully with nauseatingly fake smiles, fawning over each other as we did so. I could hear whispers about us being so in love with each other. Questions of a honeymoon, children and our future occupied the night. Fortunately I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter