SWEET COFFEE

Neuron Canvas

 

STORY 2  :    SWEET COFFEE

 

 

“Uhhmm…. Is this seat taken?”

 

I tore away my eyes from the book I’m reading when I heard a soft feminine voice. I matched her smiling face with a blank stare.

 

The girl stared at me with a hopeful smile waiting for my answer. I closed the novel that I was reading and placed it on top of the table.

 

She was holding a tray with a slice of cheesecake and a steaming cup of coffee. Her pearly white perfect set of teeth were sparkling at me.

 

Cute

 

“Could I?......” She asked again.

 

“Go ahead.” I simply answered with a smile.

 

She took a seat and placed her tray on the table. She smiled sheepishly and tucked her hair behind her ear. A light chuckle came out of her lips.

 

My eyes wandered the café. All of the tables were taken and there were a lot of alone patrons, sitting alone and minding their own business and oblivious of their surroundings… just like me.. before this stranger invaded my privacy.

 

Not that I mind. She looks harmless……

 

….I think.

 

“Coffee?”

 

“Huh?” My attention turned into her. She smiled at me with what seemed the warmest smile I’ve seen in my whole life.

 

“I’m asking you if you want some coffee?” She raised her coffee cup.

 

“No thanks.” I declined politely.

 

“Okay….” She looked a little disappointed, or maybe its just my imagination.

 

I felt alarmed. I’m the type of person who is free spirited and carefree… I don’t care what others think. But I can’t understand myself why I feel that I should explain to this person infront of me.

 

Her head was bowed down and she busied herself in eating her cheesecake.

 

“Uhhm… I mean… I’m not a coffee person.” I said. She looked at me.

 

“And why is that? Coffee is great.” She proudly said.

 

“Well… just because.” I answered.

 

“Am I annoying you? Do you want to be left alone?” She asked bluntly.

 

“Actually.. ..you do. I like my personal space.” I tried my best to sound okay. I don’t want to offend the now offended looking beautiful girl.

 

Did I just admired her? O.o

 

“Then….. I’ll just transfer seat.” She pouted.

 

This is why I chose to be alone… I at conversations. *sigh*

 

“Why do you chose to sit with me anyway?” I asked to relieve the tension. She smiled at me again and her pearly white perfect set of teeth almost blinded me.

 

“Because….. I know you’re a good person and you won’t decline me.” She said then shoved a spoonful of cheesecake in .

 

“What made you think that? Looks could be deceiving.” I darted.

 

“I’m a good judge of character.” She smirked and I scoffed.

 

“You know what?.... you should converse more… you have a nice husky voice. I like it. It matches perfectly well with your looks.” She said nonchalantly with her attention on her coffee.

 

I know.. I heard it a lot of times already.

 

“Well… your voice suits you also. Soft and sweet. A melody to the ears.” I answered truthfully.

 

“What are you going to do after this?” She asked.

 

I find it funny that we’re having a conversation as if we knew each other but I only seen her few minutes ago. And I don’t even know her name.

 

And I don’t plan to ask either.

 

“Watch a movie. There’s a sci-fi movie that I waited for almost a year.”

 

“Ahh… what a coincidence.. I plan to watch that movie also.” She said.

 

“And what made you think that we’re talking about the same movie?” I teased.

 

“Duh! Coz it’s the only sci-fi movie currently showing in cinemas.” She answered wittily. I chuckled with her confident attitude.

 

“You are really something.” I shook my head with a playful smile on my lips. I could really say that she lightened up my boring day.

 

                          *********************************************

 

We held hands while walking inside the mall. Our fingers intertwined. It doesn’t bother me because we’re both girls anyway…. And I also think that she’s a good person.

 

“I’ll pay for the snacks and you’ll pay for the tickets. Let’s take the premier seat.” She told me as we reached the cinema hall of the mall.

 

“I’m not used to premier seats. I prefer deluxe.” I said flatly. She stared at me for a moment.

 

“Okay… deluxe it is.” She rolled her eyes.

 

 

It wasn’t weekend and was still early so there were only few moviegoers inside the theater. We sat on the corner and farthest away from the screen.

 

We shared a big bucket of butter flavored popcorn and even a drink. She bought a litter of bottled lemon iced tea.

 

Midway of the movie, I felt a weight on my shoulder. I scoffed when I saw her head resting on my shoulder… then an arm s around my waist.

 

“What are you doing?” I asked.

 

“I feel cold… and your body is warm so….” She gave me a pouty puppy face.

 

“Okay… okay….” I sighed then I wrapped my arm on her shoulder and my hand rested on her head. I brought my attention back to the movie. I absentmindedly caressed her hair.

 

“Thankyou….” A soft whisper by her.

 

“Its o--------kay…..”

 

I froze for a moment when I felt something soft and moist pressed on my cheek. I turned my head to her direction when I felt the soft and moist thing left my cheek. I encountered the soft moist thing again.. and this time… on my lips.

 

I was shocked and she was also because she immediately opened her eyes. None of us were able to move. Our lips left pressed together. She closed her eyes and instinctively, I closed mine.

 

Our lips moved in sync for about five seconds then our lips parted. We both turned our attention back to the movie as she rested her head back to my shoulder and snuggled even more.

 

My heart should be pounding, right? I should feel alarmed. But why do I feel contented?

 

Ahh… the mysteries of the world.        

 

A contented smile formed in my lips and I rested my head on top of her head.

 

                                                                                               **********************************

 

 

“You want more ice?” She asked me while pouring wine on my mug.

 

We decided to end our bonding with drinking wine inside her car. We bought two small bottles of red wine, two mugs and a pack of ice cubes.            

 

“Yeah…. Add more ice.” I answered.                                                                                                                                                                               

 

“You sure love ice in your alcohol.” She teased as she dropped additional ice cubes in my mug. She poured red wine on my mug afterwards. The two bottles are now empty.

 

There was a moment of silence as we both stared at the stars in the sky.

 

               

“Have you…. Have you ever kissed a girl?” She asked. I almost choked on my saliva.

 

“No…… and why would I do that?” I answered flatly. She smiled sheepishly and bowed her head. For a moment, I think I saw her blushing… or she’s already drunk?

 

“Would you care to try?” She said in a whisper but I still heard it.

 

“Try what?” Is she thinking what I think she’s thinking.

 

“Kiss….. a girl.” She lifted her head slowly and stared at me with pleading eyes. My eyebrows formed a single line.

 

Her words sunk in my head. Wait.. what?! Is she asking me to kiss her? Is she nuts?

 

“Do you want us to kiss? Are you out of your mind?” I scoffed.

 

“Please?.....” She held my hand.

 

“Uhhm.. I think you’re drunk. We should go home. Its already late.” I patted her head, pulled her and kissed her gently on her forehead.

 

“But I………” she looked down again.

 

Sheesshh… this girl.

 

“Why do you want to kiss anyway?” I asked quizzically. She looked at me once again and smiled.

 

“Because…. I just want to know how it feels like to kiss a girl.” She beamed.

 

“You’re weird you know that? And we already kissed at the cinema.” I sneered at her. She blushed and hit my arm.

 

“It was an accident silly! I want a real kiss.”

 

“And that kiss isn’t?” I scoffed.

 

“You also love being sarcastic, huh?” She darted back on me. I chuckled.

 

“I mean…. A kiss that is planned.” She explained softly.

 

“Okay… I’m listening…” My eyebrow rose and I leaned closer to her to hear her explanation.

 

“What I mean is…. We will stare at each other… then slowly, our faces will come nearer and nearer to each other while our eyes glued to each other’s lips. Then our lips would touch… then we’ll kiss passionately.. slow and gentle at first but full of hunger and emotion at the end.”

 

“You…” I pointed my index finger at her with my eyes squinted. “You want to use me for practice, don’t you? I accused.

 

“What? No!... No!.....” She looked defeated again and looked away from me.

 

I heaved a heavy sigh.

 

“Why me?” I asked in defeat.

 

“Because…… you're my first kiss." She said shyly.

 

“Okay…. Let’s kiss..” I said lazily. She looked at me and beamed again.

 

We stared at each other… then slowly, our faces come nearer and nearer to each other while our eyes locked to each other’s lips.

 

Then our lips touched.

 

It wasn’t how she planned. It was just a plain kiss. No tongues… no movement whatsoever. Just two pairs of lips pressed perfectly fitted with each other.

 

 

                                                                                                ******************************************

 

 

“We should go home. Its getting late.” She said while rubbing circles on my back. We are still inside her car… trapped in each other’s embrace. Her face is resting on the crook of my neck.

 

“Yeah… I think we should. You’re not drunk, are you?” I asked.

 

“No… I have a high alcohol tolerance.” She chuckled and her breath tickled my neck.

 

“I’ll send you home.” She said.

 

 

 

 

 

We reached the gate of  where I live. She stopped the engine of her car and turned to me. She held my hands once again and stared deeply in my eyes.

 

“Thank you. I had fun. Its nice again someone like you as a friend… even for a day.” She said with sincerity.

 

“Yeah… I had fun too. Take care on your way home… and.. have a safe flight tomorrow for your studies abroad.” I said with full enthusiasm.

 

We stared at each other. And as if on cue, we leaned towards each other until our lips met.

 

 

 

I entered our gate with a smile plastered on my face.

 

Ahhh…. Interesting. Meeting a stranger in a café that I decided to visit for the first time. Watch a movie, played at the arcade… food tripping…. Drinking… and……. make out?

 

Geezz… did I just became adventurous?! Anyway… it doesn’t matter. Sometimes we just have to step out of the box.

 

I would say that this will be my memorable one-time thing experience.

 

Then… I realized something….

 

I started laughing and clutched my stomach. My family were already giving me weird looks. Well I can’t blame them. I realized how stupid I am. I find it really funny.

 

I went on a date with a stranger!.... a girl, for that matter! The whole day until late night!…. And to top it all…..I don’t even know her name!

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________