STORY 14 : NAME

Neuron Canvas

 

STORY 14 NAME

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry to tell you....... you won’t be able to enrol for this coming school year.” My father told me. I nodded in understanding.

 

Our small business is on the rocks and we hardly make ends meet for quite sometime now. Its sad, yes, but I totally understand.

 

Rough times.......... rough times.

 

I sighed.

 

I am 21 years old.... turning 22. I should already be a collage graduate this month. Sadly, again, due to low attention span, impulsiveness, happy go lucky, I-don’t-care-about-a- attitude, I have bad grades.  

 

Currently, I am irregular 4th year. I still have to take up few  subjects in 3rd year, 4th year. Then I still have to take up another 2 semesters for my 5th year subjects.

 

“Tiffany.... you need to find a job and work so you could have money to enrol for the next semester. Please understand the situation. I’m sorry that daddy can’t provide for your studies anymore.”

 

I nodded in dismissal. I did not spoke any single word.

 

I turned my attention to the tv which aired the evening news. I blankly stared at the reporter named Jessica Choi.

 

Ugh..... me and my life. *sigh*

 

 

 

 

“Your cousin’s wife works on a call center. She said they are hiring. Why don’t you go there and apply?” My mom told me few days after.

 

“It’s a good pay.” She added.

 

“Ok.” A simple, uninterested answer.

 

“Call center agents have a good pay.” Mom pressed.

 

Yeah. They should be. With those insulting words and curses that they receive from rude, uneducated and pea brained callers... tch!

 

 

 

I did listen to my mom. I went to the call center company where my cousin’s wife. I went there and had the manager interview me.

 

I was interviewed by Jessica Park.

 

I failed in the interview but I wasn’t broken hearted or anything. I shrugged it off actually. It didn’t  matter much maybe because I don’t see myself working in there.

 

Tolerating insults from uneducated and rude monkeys everyday is not in my vocabulary even if it pays me good cash. I’d rather beat up those jerks than tolerate them for money. It would be a lot fulfilling.

 

There’s a 24 convenience store near the building where I just came from. I went inside the store and looked for one of my favourites, Chills Coffee. I lined in to the counter to purchase the drink.

 

And the name of the cashier? Jessica.

 

 

 

 

 

Few days later, a visitor came in our house. She, the visitor, told me that they have an open spot in work and they need someone to fill that spot.

 

Apparently, this visitor who is a niece of my mom’s friend, works in a local water district in a city just in the outskirts of the nation’s capital.

 

“You should try it. You won’t be interviewed anymore. You’re considered hired all you have to do is agree. We need a replacement for Jessica asap.” She told me.

 

Why not?

 

“But submit your resume for formality.” She added.

 

“Ok.” A polite answer and smile.

 

 

 

 

“Tiffany,  this is where you’ll live the during your work in this city. I also live here along with other girls.” She told me as we stood infront of a bungalow. I could hear the voices of the girls she mentioned. It seems I would be living in a boarding house with strangers.

 

“We just need to hurry because we will be late for work.” She said and walked inside the house with me behind her.

 

Oh okay..... bunch of strangers. *sighs*

 

Shinyoung started to instroduce the girls to me but I hardly paid attention. I gave each one a court nod and smile acting like I keep up on the introduction but in reality I do not know who is who. I just heard the names but I don’t know if I could match the names with faces.  All Iknow is I heard Hyoyeon, Taeyeon,  Sooyoung, Yoona and Yuri.

 

“This is Tiffany. She will live here from now on because we will work together in the company.” She told the girls. I gave a small smile for politeness sake.

 

“Uhhmm..... there’s another one.... where is Je----------- Oh Jessica! There you are! We have a new housemate, Tiffany.”

 

Same as what I did to the other girls, I only spared a few moments of my attention to her and give her a generic ‘just for courtesy sake’ smile.

 

“Tiffany, this is Jessica.”

 

With that few moments of my attention that I gave her, I already saw a lot. From that cute cat like yawn, to that adorable eye scratching, her natural pink cheeks, cat like eyes. She stood at the door of one room.

 

Too adorable. I find it disturbing.

 

She gave me a sleepy wave.

 

“Come on! We need to hurry!” Shinyoung said while some items in her bag. I nodded and entered the room adjacent to the room where the cat girl came from.  

 

There was a girl on the bed. I think I saw her at the living room a minute ago? Anyway, she greeted me with a hoarse voice and told me that she’s not feeling well. I gave her a medicine tablet then I proceeded on freshening up in front of a wall hung mirror.

 

“Good morning Yuri. Are you okay now?” I heard a sweet voice behind me.

 

“I’m still not feeling well..... I may not be able to go to work today.”

 

“Tiffany!”

 

“Okay. I’ll be right there.” I bowed at Yuri and turned around. Since the room is small, probably the smallest in the 3 rooms, I almost bumped on the person standing by the door.

 

She loves standing by the door, huh?

 

We stood by the door staring at each other. For how long? Well, I lost track of time.

 

“Jessica. I know Tiffany is a gorgeous piece of meat but this is first day of work. You don’t want her to be late for this important day, right?” It was Shinyoung.

 

“Oh! I’m sorry.” She smiled and made way for me. She looked down but I could clearly see the bright pink tint on her cheeks. I ignored her.

 

“I’m Jessica Jung. What’s your name?” She asked once I passed by her.

 

Jessica Jung.....

 

“Uhm.. Jessica, Didn’t you hear how many times Shinyoung mentioned her name?” Hyoyoen butted in with a cup of steaming coffee in hand.

 

“What’s your name?” Jessica asked again. She’s too persistent to my liking. I walked towards the wall calendar and wrote something.

 

“Read.” I said without looking at her. I headed for the door.

 

I spared a last glance at Jessica as I stood by the door of the house. She’s looking at the calendar, probably reading.

 

 

April 12

The day when Tiffany Hwang came into Jessica Jung’s life.

 

 

“Wait!” Jessica shouted as I walked away. I stopped and looked at her now standing infront of me outside the house.

 

“You know what? I’ve have encounters with girls named Tiffany these past few days. I don’t like those Tiffanys. But.... I think you’re different.” Then she hugged me. I went stiff.

 

O_o

 

“Welcome.” She said. She let go and ran inside the house with flushed face.

 

Weird.............

 

I started running like a bullet when I noticed Shinyoung already far ahead from me.

 

 

 

Jessica Jung. Another Jessica huh.

 

But............

 

I think I’m happy to meet this Jessica............

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________