STORY 1 : WHO ARE YOU?

Neuron Canvas

 

STORY 1   :       WHO ARE YOU?

 

 

Who are you?

 

Those are the first words that came out of my mouth when a pretty girl entered my room. I stared at her blankly as she stared back t me in shock. opened and closed for a few times as if she is about to say something but couldn’t say it.

 

My eyebrows formed a single line as I tilted my head slightly to the right. She is still by the door, with her left hand still clutching the doorknob.

 

“You….you’re… you’re…….awake….” She mumbled. Few tears escaped form her cat-like eyes.

 

Yes… I’m already awake. I woke up 2 hours ago. The light hurt my eyes and it took a while before I could adjust. My body hurt and I feel weak. I got out of bed and tried to walk but my limbs seemed to forgot how they supposed to work.

 

I struggled my way to the kitchen. I chugged a lot of water and ate like there’s no tomorrow. I am so thirsty. I am so hungry.

 

Now, with nothing to do, I sat on my bed. And that’s when the doorknob twisted and the door opened, revealing the pretty girl.

 

“Are you… hungry?..thirsty?.. do you want anything?” She came to me in a hurry and cupped my face. Her thumbs caressed my cheeks. She was smiling but the tears were busy racing down her cheeks.

 

“God…… I miss you so much!” She let go of my face then threw her arms around me.

 

I stared blankly at the door as she hugged me tighter. She began wailing and her body was rocking violently.

 

After what seemed like eternity, she slowly let go of me and stared at me face to face. Her right hand cupped my left cheek gently.

 

“I… miss… you…. Welcome back.” She said. She was smiling but tears still cascades from her eyes.

 

“Who are you?”

 

I managed to say as I stared blankly at her.

 

Her smile turned into a shock expression in a flash. Her eyes dilated as she stared back into my eyes as if deciphering a code.

 

“You’re kidding, right?” She smiled and let out a chuckle.

 

“You can’t be serious. You know me…” A smile of hope plastered on her face. I can clearly see that she is trying hard to be positive but she’s failing.

 

“You remember me…… right?” Her voice cracked again.

 

I slowly blinked twice and she expectantly waits for my answer.

 

“Who are you?”

 

closed and opened again. She started looking everywhere else but me. She wasn’t looking at anything.. but she was looking through everything.

 

After a while, she looked back at me. Her lips quivered.

 

“Honey….. it’s me….. Jessi…” She said.

 

“Jessi?.........”

 

“Yes….” She nodded continuously.

 

“Who are you?”

 

She stared at me with disappointment and disbelief. She broke down into tears again. I felt a pang of guilt. I had an urge to help her and sooth her but I chose not to.

 

Something tells me its not right. Something tells me just to let her be. And besides, I don’t know her. She’s just a stranger with a name.

 

“Tiffany….Tiffany…. Tiff…. It’s me.” She said crying as if begging me to acknowledge her.

 

She’s a stranger. I don’t know her.

 

“Tiff……….”

 

I had an inner battle to touch her tear soaked face. The soft side was winning when loud chattering filled the room. I ignored everything… except the pretty girl crying helplessly infront of me at the foot of my bed.

 

“Tiffany! My daughter! You’re awake!” A familiar voice told me and I felt a familiar warmth embracing my body.

 

“Mom?.....” I managed to say.

 

The woman cried and hugged me tighter. She told me how much happy she was that I’m finally awake after a deep coma. She told me of how afraid she was that I won’t be waking up again.

 

“Your dad… your dad must know this!” She hurriedly took out her phone out her pocket and made a call while sniffing and sobbing while smiling at me at the same time.

 

I noticed her phone. It looks like a new model. But why does it look like its too much advance from my point of view.

 

“Unnie….” Another familiar voice.

 

I looked at my right. That was the only time that I notice another prescence. A girl… most likely in her late teens.

 

“Juhyun?... Is that you?” I asked quizzically.

 

“Yes Unnie… its me. Welcome back.” She hugged me while crying.

 

Yes…. Juhyun… I remember Juhyun… but why does she look like this? She looked older. Last time I saw her she was a little smaller and skinny.

 

“Unnie?... Jessica Unnie was beside you ever since you fell into a coma. She took care of you while you were sleeping. She talks to you wishing that she could reach you with your dreams.” My younger sister Juhyun told me. Mom’s voice was booming in the background.

 

“Unnie… come to her… come to Jessica Unnie.”

 

The girl name Jessica now weeps silently, looking blankly at the floor. She looked up when she heard her name mentioned by Juhyun. She stared at me with hopeful eyes.

 

I asked my sister while looking at the girl she called Jessica.

 

“Juhyun…… who is Jessica?”

 

Silence.

 

The stranger just stared blankly at me. Her tears were dried out and it seemed like she’s too tired to cry anymore.

 

I retreated my gaze from the stranger and stared at my sister.

 

“Juhyun… you looked a lot older…. How long was I….. how long has it been--------“ I was cut off with my Mom’s phone conversation with my dad.

 

“Yes my dear husband! We should celebrate Tiffany’s return….. after 3 years of being in a coma.”

 

 

 

Weeks passed by. My body was close to being as good as new again. The scar on my forehead where a bullet went through is evident.

 

Jessica was with me altroughout my rehabilitation. A walk in the park became a routine. And this time, I chose to drop by late at the afternoon to later watch the sunset.

 

“Let’s sit here.” Jessica guided me to sit in the park bench that is the best seat when watching the sunset.

 

We sat there in silence.

 

“There… the sun is about to set.” She said after awhile.

 

I watched the sun as it slowly hide behind the sea. What a great view. Its calming.

 

I unconsciously touched my forehead… I felt something.

 

A scar….

 

My scar….

 

The scar that will be a constant reminder of how my beloved girlfriend played with my heart. A constant reminder that once in my life I loved…. And lost.

 

The nasty scar in my forehead is nothing compared to the scar she left in my heart.

 

“You remember them but you don’t remember me and your own bestfriend… well… she would really be upset if she’s still here… alive.” She trailed off.

 

“And why did she committed suicide?” I asked innocently. Jessica told me about this bestfriend of mine who she said committed suicide a year ago.

 

“Ahhh… that…. I don’t know…” She said.

 

“No idea?......” I asked. She nodded and smiled.

 

“Anyway… that’s all in the past now. I just hope she find peace.” She looked at the sky which made me look at the sky also.

 

“Yeah……. I wish she finds peace…” I answered looking at the orange-colored sky.

 

 

“Tiffany….. I will patiently wait for the time when you could finally remember me…. Us… Until then.. I will be with you.” She said full of hope.

 

“Seriously, Jessi… who are you?” I asked softly… blankly….

 

Who are you?

 

A question not asking for identity… but a question asking of personality.

 

I don’t have an amnesia.

 

I clearly remember her.

 

I clearly remember how she cheated on me with my own bestfriend.

 

I clearly remember how she assured me that she loves me so much and there’s nothing going on with her and my bestfriend.

 

I clearly remember how I trusted her so much that I just shrug off the signs that she’s on to my bestfriend.

 

I clearly remember the night I saw them making out in my car. That was the night that she said she couldn’t come with me because her mother got sick.

 

That night… the night that I was so angry with her, to my bestfriend, to the world and mostly to myself.

 

I clearly remember how I had a heated argument with the driver of the car that cut me off. I poured onto him all the frustrations and wrath that was all meant for Jessica.

 

I clearly remember when I noticed a gun pointed at me.

 

I clearly remember the loud sound of a fired gun.

 

And I clearly remember how I felt a sharp pain on my head but quickly disappeared as my vision and mind went dark.

 

I remember it all.

 

I remember you.

 

But…….

 

I don’t know you.

 

I thought I knew you but I didn’t. I thought you really love me but you didn’t. I thought I knew you… but I really don’t.

 

For me… you will only be a stranger with a name.

 

“Tiffany……….”

 

Everytime you would tell me your name….

 

Or you would ask me if I remember you…

 

Even I could remember you…. I’ll just say the same exact words.

 

“Jessica……. Who are you?”

 

Because for me..  you will only be a stranger named Jessica.

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________