Little Things

Before The Dawn

When they entered the cafe, it was devoid of customers. The café was usually packed from evening till midnight but saw only small businesses during the day. The owner, a short man wearing a baseball cap, came towards them smiling. He was dressed in funky attire, something you would not expect an entrepreneur to wear. There was even a glint of gold hanging from one of his ears. He called himself Jay Park, although his real name was Park Jaebum. Before he took over from his father, he used to own a restaurant in Washington DC. He had returned to Korea when his father had died and had inherited the café. Under him, the café went through some drastic renovations, was renamed ‘Jaywalker’s Place’, and made into a more cozy corner with loud hip-hop music blaring out from the speakers.

“Boys,” he said, shaking Sungyeol’s hand. “Howon’s not here yet.”

“No of course not, he was in school with us,” said Sungyeol. He didn’t think much of Jay Park but Myungsoo was fond of him.

“Ajhussi,” Myungsoo said with a smile. “Is Sungjongie…”

“Yeah, he just came,” said Jay, pointing towards the changing room. “Looks pretty beat up though.”

“Really?” scoffed Sungyeol. “Did the dishes give him a hard time? He wasn’t about to be butchered by a mad woman though, was he? Howon’s more man than…”

He stopped when he saw Sungjong pushing open the door to the changing room. Sungjong’s usual milky white skin looked pale. He was thinner than what Sungyeol had last seen. His brownish fringes were all over his eyes. His lips were ice white and he trembled slightly as he walked. There were dark circles underneath his eyes.

“Sungjongie,” said Myungsoo wincing, as if he was the one in pain.

“Oh hyung,” said Sungjong, his eyes shining with surprise and a tired smile lighting up his lips. He forced himself to straighten and walked towards them as if nothing was wrong.

Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile at Sungjong.

That’s why I love you Sungjongie. You can make anyone smile. You’re so brave and you always act as if nothing’s wrong. You’re happy with whatever you have and you care for people who are not even related to you. And you adore Howon, even though he’s never there for you. I wish I could be more like you…

“What’s wrong Sungjong?” asked Sungyeol, frowning.

“Of course nothing’s wrong hyung,” said Sungjong, patting Sungyeol’s arm. “Where’s my brother?”

“He’ll be here soon,” said Sungyeol. He was still staring at Sungjong, taking in his drooping eyelids and wrinkled smile. “You look dead though.”

“Sungjongie, you should go home, I’ll do your shift,” said Myungsoo kindly with a small smile.

“No hyung. You have already helped me a lot yesterday,” said Sungjong. His voice was soft but defiant.

“Are you kidding me, you can barely walk!” said Sungyeol.

“Didn’t you sleep last night kiddo?” asked Jay.       

“I had a test to study for,” said Sungjong, suppressing a yawn. “And I had to cook for hyung before going to school…”

Myungsoo put his arms around Sungjong and said in a low, determined voice, “Listen Sungjongie, you’re in no condition to work. Here’s what we’ll do: Sungyeol hyung is going to take you home. I’m taking your shift. Howon will be here soon and he will help me. Arasso?”

“Me-I-Woohyun-I’ll call for the limo,” said Sungyeol as Myungsoo gave him a silent stare. He began dialing on his cell phone. Usually he didn’t use his limo but it was always at his service. He didn’t feel like carrying Sungjong because although he was thin, he was almost as tall as him and he didn’t have the heart to make him walk.

Sungjong was too faint to protest but he gave Myungsoo a small smile. Myungsoo returned it enthusiastically.

That’s all I need to see.

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry for this, you wanted to go somewhere else right?” Sungjong croaked. He was lying against the soft cushions on the back seat of Sungyeol’s limo.

“Erm…no it’s ok. What would you like to eat Sungjong?” asked Sungyeol kindly.

When they were waiting for the limo to show up at the restaurant, Myungsoo had taken him aside and said, in a grave voice, “Look I know you don’t have the best feelings for Sungjongie in the world but do this for me, ok? Take him home, buy him something to eat, he looks like he’s starving and then tell him to sleep. Just do this much and then you can go find Woohyun. Please.” He almost had tears in his eyes.

Sungyeol couldn’t say no to that. And besides, he was feeling sorry for Sungjong. He might not be the most sensitive person alive but he couldn’t look away or make fun of Sungjong when he looked so helpless.

Sungjong didn’t reply which made Sungyeol sigh, “It’s ok Sungjongie, you can think of me like your brother.”

Sungyeol didn’t mind that he had no siblings. He had never wanted one. Even if he had one, he wouldn’t win any ‘Best Brother’ awards.

It’s better this way. I don’t need any more people who can abandon me and hurt me in the process.

Sungyeol could never fully forgive his parents for leaving him alone. Sometimes he felt grateful though, especially when he saw how worried Myungsoo would be before Parent’s Day. And Woohyun always had to be home by 9 pm on week days. Sungyeol was a free bird. His tutor, Jungmin, would call him 5 times a day though, but he hardly had any control over him. However, he would sometimes be overwhelmed by his freedom. Sometimes, he wished his mother would scold him for going to watch a movie on school night and his father would want to know why he had failed Chemistry.

In truth, Sungyeol never tested Jungmin’s patience to the highest extreme. He would laugh and tell Jungmin it was because he felt bad for him.

“You’re an old man and I have pity for your poor nerves. If I go too wild you may have a heart attack,” Sungyeol would tell Jungmin playfully. However his reasons were completely different.

What if he leaves me as well? He’s not even related to me…If he leaves, I’ll truly become alone in this world. Except for Myungsoo and Howon, of course. And…Woohyun.

By the time, they reached Howon and Sungjong’s apartment, Sungjong was fast asleep. Sungyeol gently nudged him to wake him up. He looked embarrassed that he had fallen asleep and apologized profusely for failing to answer any questions Sungyeol might have asked him.

“It’s ok, you were tired,” said Sungyeol, after ordering his chauffeur to bring pizza and Pepsi for them.

“Hyung, there’s no need—”

“Oh shut up, let’s go inside, it’s freezing.”