FIFTY SEVEN

Until I Met You

It was 10pm and I was still at Roy’s house. I didn’t call Keiko or Ren. Truthfully, I didn’t want to go back. Not after what had happened this morning.

Leo had gone to sleep and I was sitting in the small living space in Leo’s room. I didn’t know wheter to go to sleep or not. I hadn’t told Mr. Roy that I wanted to stay. Earlier I had mentioned it to Ms. Nana, she had said it was no problem but I also wanted to check with him.

 

I went into the kitchen to get water. Mr. Roy was not kidding when we said he worked long hours. I felt bad for Ms. Nana. Having to deal with such a big problem and not having her husband there for her most of the time.

I guess he wasn’t such an influential person for nothing.

“You’re still up, Rin?” the lights flickered on.

Mr. Roy was standing by the kitchen entrance. He appeared to have just come home from work. He was wearing his work clothes- a black suit, white shirt and a minimal pattern tie.

His eyebrows furrowed when he saw me. Maybe he was mad that I was still here? Or maybe that I had entered their kitchen without permission?

“Ah, yes. There was something I wanted to tell you”

“Is what your going to tell me….about your neck?”

My eyes widened. My scarf! I quickly put my hand on it to cover it not realizing that it was much too late. Roy had seen it.

“Mr. Ro–”

“Was it him?” he looked at me dead in the eyes. “Did he choke you?” he walked towards me.

“N..no”

Roy kept cornering me until I reached the end of the counter. I had nowhere to go. My heart was beating like crazy.

“Rin…I know you will not lie to me for the sake of him anymore. If he choked you that should be where your draw the line of loyalty to him.”

He was right. Joon had never done something like this before.

“Is that why your still here?” he asked.

I couldn’t help but nod.

“I don’t want to return back tonight.”

He sighed and made some space between us. “What happened?”

I was hesitant. Did I want him to know?

“Rin.”

“I said something that angered him…he didn’t like it so he grabbed me here” I touched my neck softly.

My mind was running in circles. “I was so angry. He kept accusing me of siding with you. He claimed I didn’t want Leo to come back to his family and that's why I accepted your job proposal.” I scoffed. “I told him that instead of focusing so much on others, why couldn’t he just think about his son for a change?”

“I don’t see what is wrong with that comment.”

“Well…” I touched the back of my head. “he called me names and after that I just lost it. I told him maybe Leo was better off being here and not with an arrogant father and i apologize but I said, ‘a mother that only cares about herself’”.

“That is exactly what she is, no need to apologize.”

“Right…well after that is when he…um…”

“He could of killed you”

“No! He was just angry!”

“Rin listen to yourself! You continue to make excuses for him. You fail to see how dangerous he is just like Ha Na! Look at you…” he whispered. “He held on so tight it bruised you”

“Honey?” Nana walked into the kitchen.

“Nana, did you know about this?” Roy pointed at my neck. Nana looked absolutely horrified. “What happened to you Rin?”

“That good for nothing idiot did this to her. Did you file a police report?”

I panicked. A police report? It couldn’t be that bad, right?

“Mr. Roy it’s not a big deal, I promise!”

Nana looked at me with pity. “He is a dangerous man Rin”

“I am going to call the police station right this minute” Roy took his cellphone out and I dared stop him. I held on to his forearm.

“I don’t want to make this hard for my family sir, please.”

“They should know the ticking timebomb they harbor in their home”

“Joon needs help but not this…I can’t do this to my father. Ms. Nana…please!”

“Roy..” Nana said.

“I have been too benevolent with this person Rin. You must know this”

I nodded. “I know, I am eternally grateful!” I cried. “I will stay. Just please don’t file a report. I won’t go back to that house”

Roy sighed. “Rin I don’t want you to think I am forcing you to be here. I am only worried about your safety.”

“We both are Rin”

I nodded. “I am aware. But that is what i wanted to tell you before you saw…my neck..”

“I am going to talk to Kim Yoon Jae tomorrow. I will settle this matter with him, you musn’t worry about this any further. Now..” he continued, “Let’s go to sleep.”

I bowed to both of them. “Jeongmal kamsahamnida”

Nana went to the fridge and fixed me an ice pack. “If you put this on the bruise, it will reduce it and go away faster.”

I nodded and took it.

Nana grabbed Roy’s hand and they both left to their rooms. I was left, alone. I looked around. This was now my home.

 

I placed the ice on my neck and went back to Leo’s room. At least I didn’t have to worry about hiding it anymore.