FIFTY

Until I Met You

After an hour, the doctor came into the waiting room and gave them good news. “It seems like your son has woken up. We checked him and he is recovering very well.”

Keiko sighed in relief and Yoon Jae ran his hand through his hair, also happy and relived.

“Can we go see him now?” He asked. The doctor nodded and gave him the okay. “Let’s go” Yoon Jae told his kids and they followed.

“Changsun-ah!” Yoon Jae was the first to enter and he did like a worried father would. Changsun scoffed and hugged Yoon Jae from his bed. Keiko and Ren came after.

“Noona….Ren…” Changsun was surprised to see them in his room.

“Oh my god Changsun!” Keiko hugged him as she cried. “Yah...no need to be so dramatic.” he blushed, embarrassed. Keiko didn’t care about keeping to herself when it came to her little brothers. She was very caring of both of them, no matter how embarrassing it was. She resembled her mother in that way.

“Don’t you ever do that again do you hear me??!” Keiko smacked him. Yoon Jae and Ren laughed.

Changsun just rolled his eyes. Changsun noticed that there was one person missing. He turned his eyes towards the door but didn’t see anyone. He was much too proud to ask where she was. Luckily, Ren caught on. “Rin’s here too” he said.

Changsun looked away. “Earlier she wasn’t feeling too good so she went to lie down for a little bit.”

That caught him off guard. She didn’t feel good? “Where is she now?” his eyebrows furrowed.

“I can go see if she is okay.” Ren didn’t even give him a chance to respond and he had already left.

“Father...please explain to me what happened” Changsun looked at his father for answers.

“She uh…” he didn’t know whether to tell him the truth. He didn’t want to add another thing for him to worry about.

“Tell me the truth. Did she get hurt?”

“She had a panic attack.” Changsun’s eyes widened. Keiko blurted, “What!? Why?”

“My guess...is that she thought she was going to loose you.”

“I need to see her right now” Changsun tried to stand up but Keiko stopped him. “Ren is bringing her now!” He looked very distressed.

“Changsun?” a soft voice came from the door. Everyone turned to look at Rin’s weakened voice as Ren walked her into the room. Changsun’s eyes brightened and he smiled as he saw her. Quickly though, they turned to worry and guilt.

Guilt tugged at his chest. She was worried about me…. She is like this because of me...

 

Everyone had left, leaving Rin and Changsun by themselves in his room.

“Father told me you had a panic attack…” Changsun causually brought up. Rin nodded. “You had never been the type to have such a thing. It’s because of me...you are hurting because of me”

Rin took his hand in hers and shook her head. “I think it’s just stress. Loosing Leo really affected me”

“Why didn’t you tell me Rin? Why did you keep it all in?” Changsun intertwined his fingers with hers.

“Everyone was having troubles of their own, I didn’t want to burden or have anyone worried about me”

Changsun was quiet for a while, feeling the warmth of Rin’s hand. “You can tell me what anguishes you Rin” he whispered.

She raised her head, her sad eyes looking into his. “Can I really do that?” she said. “Can I really fall back on you and tell you things like that?”

“Rin…”

“You know how I feel about you. Doing things like that will only make it harder...”

“I hadn’t thought about that.” Changsun said.

Rin took her hand away from his. “Don’t worry, I haven’t misunderstood anything though.”

 

Things had gotten awkward from then on. Rin didn’t talk much after and neither did Changsun.

After Rin left the room she took out her phone and took a deep breath. She knew what was the right thing to do, and she didn’t want to be selfish.

She dialed Jung Ri An.

 

RIN

“Yes?” a man answered her phone. I didn't recognize his voice, but he sounded nice.

“Excuse me, can I please talk to Jung Ri An-ssi?”

“May I ask who is calling?” the man asked.

“Ah yes, it is Kim Rin.”

“Just a moment.” After a few seconds, I heard Jung Ri An’s voice.

Unlike the man, she sounded arrogant. It didn’t surprise me.

“Miss Kim..what a surprise.”

“Jung Ri An-ssi, I just wanted to let you know that Kim Changsun is in the hospital. He collapsed and I think you deserve to know. He is in room 135 at Seoul National University Hospital.”

“He is...what?” she sounded surprised. I didn’t want to be in the phone any longer than I needed to be so all I said was, “Just be here for him.”

I hung up. I closed my eyes and fell to the floor.

“Why did you do that Rin?” My eyes shot up as soon as I heard his voice. I looked up at Changsun looking straight at me. I stood up. My heart beat was beating out of my chest. “I...I...think sh-she deserves to know”