Soup

The Howling - Part IV: Inevitable

 

When Joonmyun woke next, it was to the wonderful aroma of what he knew to be chicken noodle soup -- and the sounds of their movie, possibly on reply -- but it wasn't just any soup; it was what he and Jongin had started earlier and it smell more amazing than he ever remembered. If Jongin hadn't been right next to him, against him, draped over him, then the soup might have been the most intoxicating thing in the room. 
 
After opened his eyes and glancing over the younger male, Joonmyun spotted the tray that held two large bowls of soup, a rather large loaf of bread, and what looked like a pitcher of iced tea with lemon. As gently as he could, so as to not wake the still-sleeping Jongin, Joonmyun slid out of his grip and off the bed before padding over to the other side where the food sat. He grabbed a bowl and a spoon before making himself comfortable on the chair next to the bed. 
 
He felt slightly guilty for eating without Jongin, but Joonmyun knew the boy could use as much sleep as he could get, especially with the oncoming full moon. So, despite his guilt, he was quite content with letting the boy sleep while he himself enjoyed the soup that Sunny had finished. Besides, Jongin looked so pretty when he slept, his features at ease, making him look so soft and young and innocent. 

 

Like before, Jongin slept easily, curled so easily into the warmth that Joonmyun offered. However, unlike before - whether it was because of the oncoming full moon or not, he didn't know - Kai wasn't alert, and so he didn't notice Sunny enter the room with the tray of food, nor did he notice when Joonmyun carefully slid out of his grip.
 
But then, maybe it was the lack of Joonmyun in his arms, because a few minutes - maybe no more than fifteen or twenty - later, Jongin shifted, rolling over onto the other side so his face was towards Joonmyun. Something stirred, most likely Kai, and Jongin stirred, eyes opening slowly before he lurched forward into a sitting position. Joonmyun wasn't lying beside him. Had someone taken him? Had... , the Alpha...
 
His fear ebbed when he realized his mate was sitting in the chair beside him, eating.
 
"...Oh..." He breathed out slowly, willing his heart to stop beating erratically in his chest before he smiled weakly. "You're there. Sorry... guess I'm still a little jumpy... Is that your soup?" 
 
He swung his legs over the edge of the bed and leaned in, closing his lips around the spoonful Joonmyun had just lifted before he pulled back and swallowed with a grin. "Mm, tastes good."

 

Joonmyun had only taken a few bites of the soup when he saw Jongin move, watching him with wide eyes as he bolted upright. He could feel the fear, the strength of the emotion digging deep into his senses and almost overwhelming him. Then it was gone, sinking away, and the relief it offered was amazing. 
 
He returned the smile as he stirred at his soup, nodding at the question as he filled his spoon, only to have the portion taken from him. Joonmyun looked up at the boy, an annoyed pout on his lips as he whined. "Yah~ You do have your own bowl..." He nodded off to the side where the rest of the food sat. "I like you, Jongin, but I'll smack you if you eat my soup." And he wouldn't hesitate; this was one of his favorite things to eat. 
 
After a few more bites, he reached over and tore off a chunk of bread, dunking it in the broth before biting off the now-soaked part. "So... did you sleep well?" Joonmyun assumed he had, because he hadn't shifted, moved, or woken up amidst their nap, but there was more on the inside than what outside appearances and actions show. 

 

Jongin pushed himself up off the bed as soon as his own bowl was pointed out to him, and his stomach growled in responsive delight as he reached  over to get his own bowl before sitting back on the bed. "Smells good, hyung," he murmured as he spooned a moutfhul into his mouth and ate happily. "Yum."
 
After a moment of silent eating, he flashed the elder a brilliant grin and then shifted his hips. "Well, next time you can just smack my ... hm?"
 
He went about tearing off a chunk of bread to stop himself from saying any more, though his eyes lifted to give Joonmyun careful looks every so often until the elder asked him another question. Jongin stilled a little, before he nodded and smiled. "Mmm... I slept okay. It worries me a little though; we're generally light sleepers because our wolf natures stay alert; but I didn't even notice you'd moved until I woke up... Maybe it's the full moon..."

 

"Be careful what you offer, Jongin," Joonmyun replied, focus unphased by the comment as he stared at his soup and took another bite. After a long moment, his gaze lifted to look at Jongin and gave a soft smile. The younger's statement piqued his curiosity and he sat in thought for a few minutes while picking at his bread. 
 
"You did say Kai would be more calm this time," the elder suggested, setting the bowl in his lap to give himself a moment to breathe. "Maybe... he's still adapting to the acceptance and me... being so close." Joonmyun knew he himself still had problems focusing when he was close enough to or touching Jonging, and he hoped that things would get better as time went on. 
 
Giving a shrug, he went back to his soup, eating quietly as he mused to himself about what was to come in a few hours. It made him nervous just thinking about it, but he had to believe that everything would be alright, had to believe that Jongin would trust him when he said he'd be okay. Because, tonight, it was all about trust and being able to have confidence in each other's choices. 

 

"Who said I didn't think about it before i said it, Joonmyun?" Jongin purred out the elder's name, giving him a careful look before he returned to his soup. It was good, and despite having eaten such a big breakfast only a few hours before, he was hungry enough that within a few minutes he'd downed his soup and was tearing off chunks of the bread with his teeth. Most likely it was his body preparing him for the full moon, and the on coming fever he'd no doubt have to endure again.
 
When he'd finished the bread, he placed his bowl down on the bedside cabinet and stretched, breathing out happily. "Possibly; or maybe he's just getting comfortable with you being around, and isn't concerned of trouble now that Yoochun is gone..." 
 
He went silent after that, eyes lifting to the elder. He didn't know how he'd react to that name, didn't know why he'd just said it... maybe he felt too comfortable without Yoochun around as well. Or maybe he was just idiotic.