'I love you'

The Howling - Part IV: Inevitable

 

Kneeling, Jongin hummed and pulled out a container of biscuits. The same biscuits he'd made for Joonmyun just a week or so earlier. They were airtight, and still good, so he wanted to share them. Straightening, he turned and moved to head outside, his smile still strong as he noticed the way Joonmyun had all but burrowed himself into the nest of blankets. 
 
"Comfortable?" he asked softly, crossing to the chair before holding out the container of biscuits. "These are for you. I made them before you left, but you never had a chance to try them; after everything that happened..."
 
Ater handing Joonmyun the biscuits, he tugged back the top layer and climbed up onto the chair beside the elder, humming a bit as he nuzzled into his side before pulling the blanket back up and around him. "This is nice... I like it."

 

A soft smile graced Joonmyun's lips as Jongin appeared, and he nodded as he took one of the offered cookies before setting the container aside and taking a bite. It was good, he'd have to admit; perhaps a bit too sugary for his tastes, but at least it was edible and it satisfied his sweet tooth. He only ate half, though, not wanting to keep himself awake all night from sugar intake, and he set the remains of his cookie on top of the container. 
 
With a quiet hum, Joonmyun slid further beneath the blankets and nuzzled into Jongin, nuzzled into that warmth. He suddenly wondered if perhaps he'd grabbed too many blankets, be he pushed away the second thought because it was better to be hot and sweaty over cold and sick. And Joonmyun was sure that Jongin wouldn't have let him get even remotely cold if he could help it. 
 
"You're warm," he murmured as he ever-so carefully searched beneath the covers for Jongin's hand. When he found it, Joonmyun linked their fingers together, his grip extra firm for a few long moments before he finally relaxed. 

 

Still smiling, Jongin reached over and closed his lips around the half eaten cookie before Joonmyun could put it away, humming softly as he chewed on it before settling back into the blankets. His heart leapt in his chest again when the elder nuzzled into him, and responded by leaning into him. He hoped Joonmyun wasn't too cold, though with the number of blankets and his own body heat the boy should be warm enough.
 
"I know..." he replied, his fingers gently squeezing Joonmyun's before he lay back in the chair, tugging Joonmyun to lie back as well. He shifted a little,curling up on his side and half burying his face into the elder's shoulder before he smiled and drew back enough that he could look at Joonmyun without hurting his neck.
 
He hadn't really noticed before, but up close, Joonmyun was beautiful. With the way his lips curved into that breathtaking smile, the way his eyes crinkled at the same time, and even the way his hair fell into his eyes. Every part of Joonmyun made Jongin's heart skip merrily in his chest, every feature had Jongin falling more and more into the eternity that was his mate. 
 
Looking away after a moment, Jongin's smile grew as he stared up at the stars, his fingers gently caressing Joonmyun's knuckles.

 

It took a too-long moment, but when Joonmyun could name the younger male's expressions his cheeks blossomed with light color and he ducked his head, nuzzling into the boy's chest again, where he could hear Jongin's heart beat. The sound was soothing, and alongside the warmth it was quickly lulling him to sleep, not that he cared. They'd either fall asleep out here or Jongin would carry him back inside as some point. 
 
Joonmyun didn't say anything as he settled in against Jongin and began to drift off. A rather blissful haze fell over him and he didn't even hesitate to pull closer to the younger male; his heart told him to, begged to be closer, but he could only be so close right now and it was only because his mind was telling him to hold back. 
 
As the edges of the oblivion that came with sleep slipped in around his conscious, dragging him further and further out, Joonmyun heart ached for something else, something his mind was fighting against with every will it could find. But his heart won, and the words were no more than an inaudible whisper on his lips as sleep claimed him -- 'Iloveyou.'

 

As Joonmyun shifted against him, finding that perfect spot that was comfortable, Jongin's arm moved to slide around the boy's waist, holding him close as he slipped even deeper into the darkness and warmth that sleep offered. Joonmyun would be warm enough beneath the blankets with Jongin beside him, and if at some point during the night it got too cold then Jongin could easily carry him back inside.
 
"Sleep well..." he whispered, his words raspy with sleep as he pressed a soft lingering kss into the elder's hair. After that, he let it slip away, let sleep take him and let himself float away on the scent and warmth that was Joonmyun.
 
It was in this new haze, this world of warmth and affection and comfort, that he heard whispered words. A confession that danced across his skin and sent small tremors through his entire body, sent his heart skipping against his ribcage. 'Iloveyou'. They were soft, whispered in the back of Jongin's mind, and for a long time he debated whether it was real or fake, settling on the idea that it  was a dream as he drifted deeper, his arms tightening around Joonmyun.