Too Clumsy

The Howling - Part IV: Inevitable

A/N: Okay.... Update spam. I was totally holding onto posts to put up while Saphyra and I weren't able to do much, but now I have like.... 7 chapters or so worth of stuff (maybe not quite that much).... so.... yeah..... I'll try to space them out between today and tomorrow... but....... yeah. <3

 


 

 

Jongin hung back as Joonmyun took to the stairs, body ready to move if he-- ...he was adorable when he was clumsy. Biting back a soft chuckle, Jongin moved forward, a hand resting on the small of Joonmyun's back as the elder continued to climb and continued to trip over himself. By the time he stopped and whined, obviously wanting help, they'd only managed to get up a third of the way.
 
Shaking his head, Jongin - able to see a lot better than any average human thanks to the wolf - climbed the steps and eyed Joonmyun carefully, still smiling before he straightened. "...Don't freak out, or we'll bboth fall and most likely injure ourselves more."
 
He wondered if the warning was enough, and situated his feet more firmly on the step as he looped one arm under Joonmyun's knees and the other across his back, using the wall as a way of stabilization so he could lift Joonmyun against his chest without dropping him or slipping down the stairs himself. Thank god for Kai, he mused, turning with the elder in his arms and continuing up the stairs.

 

In all honesty, Joonmyun hadn't wanted help; he'd only wanted to stop being so clumsy in front of Jongin. But that didn't seem like a possibility, because even with the near full moon, it was still too dark for him to see properly and he was more likely to bruise his knees or skin his shins before he made it to the top, if he made it to the top. Of course, Jongin was there for him, as always. 
 
The only way that the elder knew he'd moved from behind him was the way his fingers trailed across his back. Then Joonmyun heard Jongin's voice, quiet, reassuring, off to his side, and he tensed for only a moment before he found himself safely settled in the boy's arms. To keep himself balanced, he looped his arms around the boy's neck, leaning into his shoulder as they ascended the stairs in a much more sturdy fashion. 
 
"Thank you," he murmured, resting his head gently in the crook of Jongin's neck. The boy was warm and it was comforting in a way that Joonmyun hadn't felt in years, not even with Baekhyun. It was something he didn't want to let go of, and it was pleasant to know that he didn't /have/ to let go if he didn't want to. 

 

Jongin smiled, drawing Joonmyun closer to himself as he slowly climbed the stair, taking it careful so he didn't trip and potentially injure his mate. "You're welcome. The last thing I want is you getting hurt again..." he replied in a soft voice, lifting his head a little so Joonmyun could rest his head more comfortably in the crook of his neck. 
 
As he climbed, he wondered if Joonmyun could feel the way his heart was racing in his chest, caused by the elder's closeness. He was glad he couldn't see his face, or the smile that he just couldn't get rid of, the smile he still possessed even when they'd reached the top and he was carefully lowering Joonmyun to the ground. 
 
Closing the door behind them, Jongin breathed out. At least it was relatively warmer inside. He turned back to Joonmyun, watching him for a moment before he slid his hands into the pockets of his sweats and, grinning, rocked back and forth on his heels.
 
"So... do you want to say goodnight to the guys? Or just go?"

 

The more Joonmyun rested against Jongin, the more he could feel and hear his heart beating in his chest, the sound so much more than soothing. He felt like a child, a small infant who curls into their mother's chest to hear her heart beat because it's the one thing they are familiar one, the one thing they know that means they are safe from harm. 
 
Then it was gone, and the elder gave an inaudible whine as he was set back on his feet. Some part of him had hoped that Jongin would carry him all the way back to their room, but Joonmyun wouldn't make him. He was probably heavy anyway, and he didn't want the younger male straining himself. 
 
After glancing down the hall, Joonmyun looked back at Jongin. "I don't think it'll kill them if we just go back to your room." It wasn't that he didn't like the guys -- he was actually very appreciative of them -- but he didn't want to get held up, because he'd had his heart set on getting in quickly, getting what they need, and then settling down on the balcony off Jongin's room. 

 

A smile tugged at Jongin's lips at Joonmyun's whine, and to make up for the loss of warmth, he stepped closer and draped his arm back around the elder's shoulders. "Taemin's probably gone to sleep anyway. I think being a teenager finally caught up with him. He sleeps a lot more... and generally spends half the night awake gaming..."
 
Moving quietly, he half led, half guided Joonmyun back to his room, his eyes every so often drifting down to gaze at the slightly shorter male beside him. He hadn't ever admitted it before, not even to himself, but Joonmyun had this beautiful smile that made his stomach turn and butterflies dance across his skin. Kai certainly didn't mind it either.
 
A soft hum left him, and he gently nudged Joonmyun back into his room, a smile on his lips. "Blankets are in the bottom of the wardrobe..." he pointed towards said wardrobe as he closed the bedroom door and bolted it - lest /someone/ decided to pay a late night visit - and stepped away from Joonmyun to retrieve something from the bed-side cabinet.

 

Joonmyun hummed quietly as he was led down the hall, leaning not-so discreetly into the perpetual warmth of the boy who had been at his side most of the evening and would continue to be until.... whenever he was required to go do something else. He hoped that it would be a long time before that happened, because he enjoyed having the younger male's company, the comfort and protection that his presence offered. 
 
Once inside the room, Joonmyun glanced in the direction that Jongin had pointed, giving him a nod before shuffling off in the direction. Quickly, he pulled out a stack of blankets -- perhaps six or seven -- before he turned and made his way over to the door that led out on the balcony. He paused for a moment and looked back at Jongin, wondering what he was doing before thinking better of asking and continuing out onto the balcony. 
 
The cold night air hit his face and instantly sent a chill down his spine. Joonmyun shivered for a moment before moving the lay the blankets out over one of the chairs. After layering all seven of them, he pulled down the top and slipped beneath them where he settled himself and waited for Jongin.